Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A Gransnet design brief for M & S

(175 Posts)
Teetime Mon 08-Feb-16 09:13:14

We often talk on here about M & S and it seems many of us are less than satisfied with the their offering. It occurred to me that we could put together a design brief for them to consider. For my part I would like the following to be available;

- Calf length skirts for summer (Per Una used to have nice ones)
- Well made T shirts to go with the above (no jewellery/sequins attached that won't iron)
- Wide leg Linen trousers- good quality current ones have been too floppy
- Linen dresses - A line please and mid calf
- Pretty white bras and matching knickers
- soft summer knits for wearing with jeans and trousers on cool days
- comfy but attractive sandals.

- and for me no neon colours or animal prints.

What would you ask for?

Alea Wed 10-Feb-16 23:19:29

Am I the only person who reads this as M&S designing knickers for Gransnet?grin
I can see those wonderful salmon pink directories bloomers my granny used to wear with elastic down to her knees. Or possibly, "sloggi" type pants for your more active granny.
They won't be thongs I hope, especially not with diamanté, I can't imagine anything more uncomfortable.
Main thing ("bottom line"?) is no VPL so come on M&S, let's see your Gransnet design briefs!
gringrin

Nelliemoser Wed 10-Feb-16 23:29:04

Alea I thought exactly the same thing and posted on this late on Monday night.

Jalima Wed 10-Feb-16 23:39:04

Design briefs would make a nice change from Bridget Jones's knickers (perhaps not as comfy or warm)

Alea Thu 11-Feb-16 08:59:41

Oops sorry Nelliemoser blush I should have read through the whole thread, but TBH we have had a few threads lamenting current design and quality at M&S, so I took the short cut. That'll larn me!!

Deedaa Thu 11-Feb-16 21:19:28

M&S emailed me some pictures of knickers to review. All thongs and all horrible! How many of their core customers actually wear thongs?

Deedaa Tue 16-Feb-16 21:08:53

Had a quick look at the dregs of the sale and tried on a kaftan style cardigan. Sleeves were much too tight and finished about six inches beyond my fingertips! Who do they design this stuff for? You'd have to be a Giacometti sculpture for it to fit!

Neversaydie Wed 17-Feb-16 01:33:13

Agree with much of the above Have been round their very big Birmingham store today (killing time waiting for friend) and saw nothing I really wanted to buy.
I love their No VPL knickers and last year bought thre pairs of their cropped trousers-black ,turquoise and orange-almost poplin effect-which fit perfectly and are a good length on my 5ft 3" Hope they do more colours this year.Otherwise have bought nothing for ages. Vile colours, vile and unecessary embellishments
Their cashmere is definitely not the quality it used to be despite rocketing in price.Did buy a tunic last year .Lovely colour .Has bobbled and shrunk despite very careful hand washing

Madmartha Wed 17-Feb-16 12:34:28

M&S lost their way a few years ago, cut up my store card in protest. They're missing a huge market - babyboomers with money and style honed in the 60s. I want chic, I want quality, I want longer lengths, I want to look good.
I don't want frumpy, I don't want pastel cardis and jumpers, I don't want insignificant dresses and I don't want rails of sale stuff that no-one buys. Is that so difficult?

BBbevan Wed 17-Feb-16 14:10:58

I do so agree with Hicaz46 about all trousers in one place etc. Last year I found a really nice pair of trousers in M&S, but decided to have a look around before I bought them. I then went to get the original ones. 20 minutes later and just giving up the will to live I asked an assistant to help me find them. She said did I have the product number? As if.!! Left without them.
I find Sainburys Tu quite good for trousers though

Neversaydie Fri 04-Mar-16 23:00:44

Their range of dresses for spring is horrible .Shapeless shifts, cheap looking lace ,weird designs and colours.Can't seem to post pic on here

Neversaydie Fri 04-Mar-16 23:02:18

Aha cracked it
Now would any of you wear this?

Elrel Fri 04-Mar-16 23:46:17

I don't understand why I found exactly what I wanted on a sale rail but had never seen the skinny polonecks and comfy extra short jeggings in the big new Brum shop before. I'd stopped looking but found them on a sale rail I passed on my way to the foodhall!

Anya Sat 05-Mar-16 07:24:52

Yuk to the dress.

NotTooOld Sat 05-Mar-16 17:57:51

And more yuk to the dress. It's horrible. I was in M and S yesterday, the first time for ages. What struck me was the shortage of size 14s. Anything that caught my eye I had a look for a 14 and there never was one. Yes, I suppose it's a popular size but don't they have assistants restocking the rails?

Neversaydie Sat 05-Mar-16 18:00:32

Given that one assumes most stock is automatically reordered these days-one in ,one out -I am amazed how often they get this wrong .

Indinana Sat 05-Mar-16 18:13:37

Another yuk from me for that dress - horrendous!

bookdreamer Sat 05-Mar-16 18:41:00

I've said before I don't think we are the age group that M&S target anymore.

whitewave Sat 05-Mar-16 18:50:12

I see that they are stocking Emma Bridgewater nightwear. Might be better quality than the current stuff which is ghastly, both style and quality.

annsixty Sat 05-Mar-16 19:00:05

bookdreamer I agree we are not their target market but we are the ones who would shop there if the stock was right.
Any one under 18 would run a mile rather than shop there. And I think they would be over 50 before they would even look again.

bookdreamer Sat 05-Mar-16 19:44:26

But that's precisely the market they're after. The young professionals with the money. Who are influenced by names and designers.

Deedaa Sat 05-Mar-16 22:00:25

I was in there last week and got chatting to one of the display team. I told her what I thought of the clothes in general and she said "I know, they're awful aren't they". I pointed to some dayglo yellow lace dresses lurking in a corner and said "Who on earth is ever going to wear those, they're hideous!" she laughed and said "That's why I've hidden them in the corner!"

If M&S won't listen to their customers perhaps they should listen to their staff.

NotTooOld Sun 06-Mar-16 18:31:49

Deedaa - I am gobsmacked at your story. So, even M and S staff think their clothes are terrible? Why WHY don't they recognise their core market (baby boomers in the main), do some market research (or read GN) and find out what we really REALLY want? Its just basic marketing principles.

Deedaa Sun 06-Mar-16 21:18:10

I should add that the girl I was speaking to was a lot younger than me, so they obviously aren't appealing to the youth market either.

michellehargreaves Sat 12-Mar-16 09:35:58

I would like longish T shirts with scooped necks and bracelet length sleeves, black with a bit of elastane to give shape. Jeans that are long when they are labelled long, chic, simple styles, not things with added decoration that no-one wants. No more of those hideous colours that are "spot off ", you know the ones I mean, teeth clenching eye hurting oranges and lilacs. We are a generation that grew up in the 60s, we know about clothes and what we want. M&S should know their target market and stop assuming that vile pastels and elasticated man-made fibres are what we are looking for. And their sizing - don't get me started; racks and racks of size 8 short. Once in a while it would be good to find a size 12 long!