Gransnet forums

Travel

Obese Passenger

(230 Posts)
Blondehedgehog Fri 23-Sep-16 14:29:43

'A disgruntled flyer is suing Emirates airline and claiming his nine-hour flight was 'ruined' by an obese passenger seated next to him.' (title from Daily Mail)

I had the same trouble and sent this ode to the airline I used via FB.

I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, my brand new passport passed scrutiny on its very first time.
"Yes"!!!!
Every thing was going fine
Then, just about take off a shadow descended, I looked up and there a mountain had ascended
All light had been extinguished
My heart gave a flutter
The man by the window and myself looked at each other, OMG this humongous mass was expecting to sit between us!
I got out of my seat to let this 'thing' in.
As this mountain squeezed and grunted into the middle seat of the row
Fat from his body started move. Easing his body down into the seat, it started to grow....:-(
Over the arm rests squished the mass as he tried to become thinner by crossing his arms,
I tried to sit down, only a few inches were left for my arthritic body.
It was like sitting next to a sweaty brick
His seat belt extension duly arrived, the attendant could not look me in the eye.
'Pull out the table'! I said to myself at least claim some space before getting engulfed
The guy at the window chose alcohol instead, and downed plenty of gin to help get by
As the flight progressed no apology from this monster.
He snored, sniffed, and gobbled his food in a flash
He never moved
Not even venturing to the loo.....
About half way through the journey the guy at the window exploded.
He wanted to use his laptop but no room could he find to load it
Invasion of space was the cry of the day
Just a moment......! Our safety has been severely impeded
Still no apology from man or attendants
One was definitely expected and needed
No wonder United 26 staff hid away, at the end of a 7 hour flight
There was no happy smiles as the passengers disembarked
The dust can be seen as the staff scurried away
Yet....... still no apology came our way......

Has anyone had s similar experience?

Wobblybits Fri 30-Sep-16 20:25:55

It hadn't given the incentive to the pathologist, he was bigger than me.

gettingonabit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:28:23

Oh yes! I remember thinking the same thing..a case of "surgeon, heal thyself" if ever there was one.

Luckylegs9 Wed 16-Nov-16 06:07:02

I battle to stay at 11 stone, dread going on a plane and anyone very large sitting next to me. The seats are so small and it is horrible having what little space there is, taken over by really big people. Overweight unless it is a medical problem, is just eating too much of the wrong things. I should weigh a good stone and maybe more, lighter, but I love my food. Have to put the breaks on as I put weight on really quickly, so I know how difficult it is, but do it for the sake of my health. My sister developed so many medical problems as she got bigger, she put on 5 stone and always looked nice, but it took a terrible toll on her health, she has now lost 3 stone and she is so fed up on her diet, but her diabeties had improved and so has her joint pain, she is determined to do it.

SueinHull Thu 17-Nov-16 14:27:11

I agree with you BlueBelle. Some people are just cruel beyond belief. ie: Blondhedgehog!