Gransnet forums

Travel

Obese Passenger

(230 Posts)
Blondehedgehog Fri 23-Sep-16 14:29:43

'A disgruntled flyer is suing Emirates airline and claiming his nine-hour flight was 'ruined' by an obese passenger seated next to him.' (title from Daily Mail)

I had the same trouble and sent this ode to the airline I used via FB.

I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, my brand new passport passed scrutiny on its very first time.
"Yes"!!!!
Every thing was going fine
Then, just about take off a shadow descended, I looked up and there a mountain had ascended
All light had been extinguished
My heart gave a flutter
The man by the window and myself looked at each other, OMG this humongous mass was expecting to sit between us!
I got out of my seat to let this 'thing' in.
As this mountain squeezed and grunted into the middle seat of the row
Fat from his body started move. Easing his body down into the seat, it started to grow....:-(
Over the arm rests squished the mass as he tried to become thinner by crossing his arms,
I tried to sit down, only a few inches were left for my arthritic body.
It was like sitting next to a sweaty brick
His seat belt extension duly arrived, the attendant could not look me in the eye.
'Pull out the table'! I said to myself at least claim some space before getting engulfed
The guy at the window chose alcohol instead, and downed plenty of gin to help get by
As the flight progressed no apology from this monster.
He snored, sniffed, and gobbled his food in a flash
He never moved
Not even venturing to the loo.....
About half way through the journey the guy at the window exploded.
He wanted to use his laptop but no room could he find to load it
Invasion of space was the cry of the day
Just a moment......! Our safety has been severely impeded
Still no apology from man or attendants
One was definitely expected and needed
No wonder United 26 staff hid away, at the end of a 7 hour flight
There was no happy smiles as the passengers disembarked
The dust can be seen as the staff scurried away
Yet....... still no apology came our way......

Has anyone had s similar experience?

Elljay247 Fri 23-Sep-16 17:36:05

Seats don't usually come in different sizes, not that I'm aware of anyway, neither do you always have a choice on where to sit. Yes, maybe he could have/should have paid more for two seats, or maybe the airline should be obligated to provide larger seats. But whichever, that doesn't justify such wording as 'mountain', 'humongous mass', 'monster' and 'thing'... Humour at the cost of another person's feelings isn't really very funny.

PamelaJ1 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:25:09

Seats come in four sizes, cattle class, premium economy, business and first class.I am size 12 and cattle class doesn't give me much wriggle room.
We occasionally dig deep and pay for premium on flights to visit DD in Aus when we're not having a stopover. Even that makes a huge difference to comfort.
This man either has a medical problem (some poor people do but most don't) or spends a lot more money on food. Perhaps if he treated himself to a bigger seat he may not be able to afford to eat so much, a win win situation!
He may have hoped he would be upgraded, the airline would do this to avoid upsetting other travellers. The plane was probably full.
I think all economy passengers watch with dread as a fatty comes down the aisle towards them.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 18:58:39

Gosh there's some blooming judgemental people in th
No one knows this man s background or how mortified a lot of people feel and how they have to learn to put a smile on their faces and pretend they don't care
I ve never thought of referring to anything as cattle class but that's all I ve ever travelled in even on a 24 hour trip to NZ and yes it is squashy especially when the woman in front puts her seat in the relaxed position from start to finish as happened last time I did a long haul but I can't believe the unkindness and name calling on here
Do you really refer to people as 'fatties' Pamela what about people with a limp or some other disability do they have names too

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 19:25:45

We always refer to it as 'cattle class' and yes, that is how we normally travel.

However, having travelled in Premium Economy (an upgrade) the seats are wider and there is more legroom. It is more expensive of course, but not as much as Business.
And we have sat, fingers crossed, hoping that an obese person does not come and impinge on our less than generous space.
Last time i flew Emirates a very large man in the next seat fell asleep with his head on my shoulder. He was large rather than obese (no, it was not DH!).

Not judgmental at all - it can be unpleasant enough spending 13 hours on an aeroplane without being squashed for all that time.

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 19:28:56

Obesity can cause disabilities but is not itself a disability and I am sure no-one on here would call people with a limp names.
I hope not as I have one but try not to spread myself into other people's limited space.

phoenix Fri 23-Sep-16 19:42:35

Ok, tin helmet time again!

If the weighing of your luggage is for safety reasons, I.e. to ensure that the weight of cargo is related to fuel or whatever, then surely the logical thing would be to weigh each passenger with their luggage, "they" should be working out the total weight on the plane, I.e. passengers plus luggage?

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 19:46:15

I'm happy to join you under that tin hat Phoenix! Maybe all these court cases against airlines by people affected by overweight neighbouring passengers will lead to some rethinking. I hope so. We can all be politically correct but sitting like I did for all those hours next to that obese man did not lead me to very polite thinking about him.

trisher Fri 23-Sep-16 19:50:19

phoenix I may be mistaken but I seem to remember my gran telling me about being weighed when she flew to Jersey in the sixties. It stuck in my mind because I thought 'well I'm never going to fly then!' (it might not have been Jersey)

FarNorth Fri 23-Sep-16 19:53:46

How about doing some impinging in return, with elbows or books maybe?
It doesn't matter what the person's medical problem is, that's no reason for others to be made to suffer.

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 19:53:47

Unless, of course, it is just a way of charging you more?

Although I can see the absolute logic of the argument because overloading aircraft is a definite safety hazard.

Jalima Fri 23-Sep-16 19:56:21

The first sentence was in reply to phoenix re overweight luggage.

HildaW Fri 23-Sep-16 20:05:29

OK am going out on a limb here and will first of all state that I have been pretty sturdy in my past......at 5ft 7 a generous size 18 and probably about 15 stone so am hardly a judgemental skinny. Also having just been on a couple of long haul flights and endured the minimum 3 hour waits, security, jet-lag and claustrophobic atmosphere of an airplane I am rather in tune to the pressures and general unpleasantness of air travel at the moment.

Any way.....the sort of sizes we are talking about here are big....they were not created that size and there is no single illness that makes people balloon to 25 stone over night...so I think what I am trying to say is that at what point do people stop and think...gosh, I'm getting big....I'm finding it hard to buy clothes, sit in a theatre/airline seat.....shall I do something about it????
Is there not some element of personal responsibility to be reasonably healthy and not encroach on others space when you sit in a public seat?

I am fully aware that loosing weight is a problem.....believe me I've tried it and its a miserable process but I can hand on heart say I did get to a point where I thought that I would just try very hard not to get any bigger....and that's not nearly so difficult...and yes, I have finally got myself in hand and push myself to do some exercise and to stop on the third glass of wine or the second slice of cake. Its not such a great hardship and being reasonably fit, mobile and to be able to look tolerably smart in ordinary sized clothing is hugely liberating and I will try very hard not to go back to loathing the sight of myself in a shop window.

So I think what I am trying to say is that when people have got to this vast size where they make another passenger's life a misery it is fair to say that they should bear some of the responsibility. In many ways it is just as much about basic good manners as about size. For example I do not recline my airplane seat until after the meal has been served and have noted a few people around me have done so. Neither do I stand up for ages leaning up against someone else's seat (as happened to a friend on a recent flight). Even when sat next to DH I tend to keep my elbows within the boundaries of my own seat (although if I not off I cannot be quite so controlled).

Anyway, I know this will offend some but just wanted to have my five pennyworth.

yogagran Fri 23-Sep-16 20:10:24

We sit in the departure lounge trying to guess just who is going to be our seat neighbour. Crying baby, truculent toddler or large person!

One flight I took a couple of years ago, luckily only a short internal flight, I was seated next to an ordinary sized man but he was wearing very short shirts and sat with his hairy legs wide apart, encroaching on "my" space. It was not a pretty sight

HildaW Fri 23-Sep-16 20:22:23

Oh dear yogagran....what is it with men and shorts in public places. Saw a few at airport t'otherday. Must admit I know I'm getting old when I find myself thinking......shorts on the beach only please!

rockgran Fri 23-Sep-16 20:22:43

We had to be weighed (in public) on internal flights in the Falklands. It was also quite tricky to climb into the little planes - and I am relatively light. I'm sure it would have been impossible for a very overweight person. If we had to be weighed on all flights it might be an incentive to lose some weight! Just saying!

Marmight Fri 23-Sep-16 20:24:29

Perhaps it is time for all airlines to instal a couple of wider seats on every aircraft to accommodate larger travellers? After all the Nhs are having to provide beds suitable for heavier patients and reinforced ambulances too. 'Normal' sized passengers should not have to suffer discomfort by being squashed into their normal sized seats by the oversized. It is detrimental to both health and safety.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 20:37:19

Not judgemental to hope you have a nice person sitting next to you but it's horribly judgemental to call people names and I m totally surprised at the lack of any kind of empathy on this thread Very surprised

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:40:00

What about some empathy for the squashed?!

PamelaJ1 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:46:21

BlueBelle,
Everyone that I know calls it cattle class.
How would you refer to people of much larger size then is 'normal'? None of the adjectives that I can think of is nice.

NanaandGrampy Fri 23-Sep-16 21:13:12

I'm plus sized !

I fly frequently internationally and did all my working life .

I must be really lucky because I have never in 30+ years seen anyone who needs 2 seats but I do know that all the major airlines require you to buy 2 seats if you need more space than one seat provides.

If the flight is not full, the airline returns the cost for one seat back to the flier.

I prefer not to fly economy because of the ridiculous amount of leg room available. So I upgrade to Premium or Business depending on finances . It's virtually impossible to 'overflow' in many Premium or Business seats as they are not a row/bench type seat.

Are obese people the last group who can be called names? You can't refer to people by colour , or ethnicity , you can't discriminate by age ....but you can still call people 'fatties' .......??

Greenfinch Fri 23-Sep-16 21:21:22

I am totally with you Bluebelle
I find this poem absolutely unacceptable.And some of the comments are very hurtful.
I am over weight and have made the decision not to fly again.I would hate to think people were criticising me for impinging on their space.It would be just too embarrassing to have to ask for a seat belt extension.

Auntieflo Fri 23-Sep-16 22:41:00

We were weighed when we flew to The Scillies last year. blush!!

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 22:41:56

Pamela I would refer to an overweight person as large, or overweight certainly not a fattie or any of the horrendously cruel phrases in that odeous poem
I don't think it hurts to be kind to people does it? especially people who may well be very conscious of their problem
I m not overweight myself but I cannot imagine how hurtful it is to hear people saying things like the original poster did if that's meant to be funny then God help the human race
Greenfinch don't let this worry you or stop you living life as you want to

Rosieroe Fri 23-Sep-16 23:00:54

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we all were a standard size? I am taller than the average British woman. At 5'9" I find most airline seats very uncomfortable as I don't have enough legroom, so I empathise with the discomfort of insufficient space on flights. At school I was very self-conscious as I was taller than my peers and this was made much worse by one 'perfect' little B***h who always referred to me as "Big" Rosieroe. I imagine she grew up to be someone like the op who, with the smug confidence provided by being someone with a 'normal' sized body, thinks it's fine to talk in such a manner, dehumanising another person by referring to him as "a mountain" and "a sweaty brick". She says that "he tried to be thinner by crossing his arms", so the man was obviously self conscious and would much rather not have been given a centre seat in the first place. Direct your anger at the airlines who cram people into such tight spaces. Did no one think of letting him into the aisle seat to make it easier for him and therefore all three of you to get in and out?

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Sep-16 00:08:14

Blondehedgehog That very rude letter or what ever it was you sent was wrong and offensive.

However this situation does needs addressing by the airlines.
We are "captive" in our airline seats most of the time when flying.
The airline staff and other passengers should consider the comfort of fellow travellers and the issue of being completely squashed by passengers who are very large needs addressing however sensitive this issue is.