Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Last Tango in Halifax

(239 Posts)
Agus Sun 28-Dec-14 12:08:02

The next series starts tonight at 9.00 on BBC1

lucycakeface Wed 31-Dec-14 12:24:41

I really really love this programme, but was staying with relatives at the time. Cant wait to watch it on catch up. You are also right that the rest of Christmas telly was abysmal, most of the time I haven't even had the telly on. Don't suppose that's a bad thing!

merlotgran Wed 31-Dec-14 13:29:16

Christmas telly has been a disgrace. Nothing but films, films, films, more films and endless repeats. We didn't watch TV over Christmas itself but we were quite looking forward to a bit of couch potato relaxation once everyone had left.

No chance. There was no escape from endless films so DH retreated to his shed and I tackled the laundry. angry

Eloethan Wed 31-Dec-14 20:42:51

I was thinking about what TV was like years ago at Christmas. Although there were always the old film favourites - It's a Wonderful Life, The Great Escape, etc. - there were also some "new" films to see. I suppose now all the more recent films are bought up by the paid for TV channels or film subscription companies.

Iam64 Thu 01-Jan-15 14:58:52

I love Last Tango, fantastic actors, wonderful scenery, shots of Bolton school, Sarah Lancashire is a fine actor and the music is good as well. Sally Wainwright is a real talent. She also wrote Happy Valley, set in the same kind of Yorkshire/Lancashire borderlands, in this case, Hebdon Bridge. The woman's a genius grin Evidently, she had Sarah Lancashire in mind, to play the sergeant in Happy Valley. A fine actor.

I do agree that Christmas tv has been so disappointing. I don't watch a lot of tv, but would certainly have enjoyed something like The Great Escape or It's a Wonderful Life

Lona Thu 01-Jan-15 15:14:27

Iam64 It's a Wonderful Life was on, the week of Christmas I think.

PRINTMISS Thu 01-Jan-15 15:52:32

I love Last Tango too, it is something you can sit back and watch without wondering what it is all about and cringing at some of the language. I wonder how many of you can remember when the BBC did 'live' pantomime on Christmas Day? No recording then, and the one that always sticks in my mind is Cinderella with Chris Michelmore (?) it was in black and white! There were also the visits by celebrities to children's hospital wards where presents were handed out. The rubbish that was on over this holiday period was shocking to say the least.

Leticia Thu 01-Jan-15 15:54:35

I thoroughly enjoyed it!

rosesarered Thu 01-Jan-15 16:29:22

Cazthebookworm I agree with everything you said........ but, in spite of all that I still find myself watching and enjoying it all!
The only thing missing though, was any humour in the writing in this particular episode, but as it was only the first in this 3rd series, hopefully that will come later.

cazthebookworm Mon 05-Jan-15 09:39:48

Yes Rosesarered, I still watch it, it does seem to be compulsive. It didn't improve last night, even more gossiping and unpleasantness, and as for not attending her daughter's wedding, how nasty was that? Very selfish I thought and a very bitchy ending. I wonder where Sally Wainwright gets all this from and when there will be something cheerful happening.

Soutra Mon 05-Jan-15 09:49:13

I realise I have never liked (the character) Celia - no criticism of the acting - and wonder what "Alan" sees in her. She makes me think of Peggy Archer. OK I know they're not real.

I too would have liked just a little more "feel good" humour in last night's episode.

J52 Mon 05-Jan-15 09:51:20

I find it is refreshing for the characters not to be sugary sweet. The conflict of emotions between the daughter and mother is very interesting and reflects some conflicts that are sometimes posted on forums like this one.

Anne Reid's character reflects a person who has deep convictions about right and wrong. She is clearly devasted that her husband is just like her previous husband. All the sub plots must be rocking all her values.

I think it is very well written and acted. x

GillT57 Mon 05-Jan-15 10:38:35

Excellent writing. Like you soutra I am beginning to realise that i dont particularly like Celia, and yes she is like Peggy Archer! I understand that she is saddened to find out about the affair, but surely she must appreciate that Alan is not like her late husband. Also, the revelation that she did not attend her daughter's graduation was a bit of a hint of her character. I was however, very disappointed when Caroline snubbed lovely Alan at the wedding. The vibrator that wouldn't turn off in the supermarket was very funny. grin

gillybob Mon 05-Jan-15 12:18:17

I loved it too. I don't think the "son" is after anything in particular, but he had really pi**ed that snobby Celia off which can only be a good thing. I wonder is Ann Reid is playing "herself" a bit in this character?

gillybob Mon 05-Jan-15 12:19:38

I'm glad its not just me who really doesn't like Celia.

ninathenana Mon 05-Jan-15 12:54:36

I think Celia might have gone to the wedding if Alan hadn't gone on a bit too much about how well his son had done for himself. She seemed fairly excepting up till then. It did seem a bit ill advised on Alan's part.

Caroline's ex is a pain in the rear smile

gillybob Mon 05-Jan-15 14:27:08

Oh I feel sorry for Caroline's ex. He reminds me of an annoying stray dog that you want rid of but can't quite tell it to shoooo.

Mishap Mon 05-Jan-15 16:41:53

I think the writing and particularly the acting is superb.

The vibrator scene was hilarious; and yes, Celia is a crabby individual.

Eloethan Mon 05-Jan-15 17:37:38

I think it's quite brave of the writer to portray an older woman who doesn't always behave in a sweet, white haired little old lady way. As people get older it doesn't mean that they never feel insecure and never behave in a petty, judgmental or jealous way - although, to be honest, I think in the circumstances I would have been a bit fed up hearing all about Alan's wonderful son too.

I think the whole point is that when people feel very hurt they tend to lash out at whoever is available - Caroline regretted the occasion when she had been very unkind to her Dad - and yet she repeated that behaviour with Alan.

Having said that, I hope that Celia manages to redeem herself because, as someone else said, at the moment I can't imagine why Alan is so besotted with her.

Howjado Mon 05-Jan-15 18:43:08

What is Celia thinking? She has ostracized herself from her daughter by not attending her wedding and fallen out with Alan about something that happened years ago, when they were not even together. She will end up with no-one and be a very lonely old woman.

Ariadne Mon 05-Jan-15 19:09:23

Celia is a sour faced, prissy, rigid old woman - and I too am realising that I never really liked her character. (In case you hadn't guessed!) Needs to learn to give a little.

Iam64 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:15:52

I've yet to catch up with Last Tango (had to sit through Foyle's war), so maybe I shouldn't have read this thread.

Celia has always been a rigid thinker, who has occasionally softened, usually as a result of Alan's influence. I love Last Tango, all the characters are flawed and interesting as a result. Caroline's ex husband is a loathsome, brilliantly acted man.

I'm unable to resist adding that Celia does read the Daily Wail, although she claims to read G2 when Alan buys the Guardian, so to be liberal as a result. Love it grin

rosequartz Mon 05-Jan-15 19:30:00

I think Eloethan has summed up Celia well.

Celia is set in her ways, likes life to be 'proper', rather genteel and ordered. For years she lived a lie, probably showing to outside world what a lovely life she had, nice husband, lovely house, clever and beautiful daughter. All perfect, yet it was a facade because she knew (and kept hidden) that her husband was a serial adulterer and her life was not as she presented it to the outside world. The only way she could lash out was in petty ways, such as refusing to go to her daughter's graduation because she had probably just found out that Kenneth had been unfaithful yet again. Cutting off her nose to spite her face is not unusual.

Now the whole edifice of her world has come crashing down. She probably does feel uneasy about Caroline's wedding, but would have gone and supported them. However, all her past anguish has come flooding back now she has heard about Alan's unfaithfulness to his wife - and his absolutely perfect son has appeared on the scene and we are hearing about him ad nauseum. A transference of all the hatred of Kenneth onto Alan, who just doesn't get it, poor sap.

She is a snob with dyed-in-the-wool old fashioned values but I do feel sorry for her, she is unable to analyse her feelings and work through what is happening as the life she thought she had changes around her.
And she always looks like a fish out of water when surrounded by Alan's family at the farmhouse!

Yes, John is brilliant, so well acted.
It's all well scripted and well acted.

Leticia Tue 06-Jan-15 07:39:35

I am looking forward to seeing it- it was irritating that it clashed with Foyle's War- another favourite programme. In a way it will be more interesting after reading these comments.

harrigran Tue 06-Jan-15 07:52:09

I enjoy Last Tango and I too think the long lost son is a bit creepy, obviously not short of a bob or two but is there a hidden agenda ?

daffydil Tue 06-Jan-15 11:33:16

Also Celia was wrong, spiteful even, to encourage her grandson to keep her company when he said he would not go to his mother's wedding whatever her own feelings. That's unforgivable.