Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

classical music.

(55 Posts)
celialillian Tue 24-Feb-15 16:40:45

Hi everyone, I enjoy all kinds of music, but do find i can relax and unwind when listening to classical music, not to heavy to make me depressed of course....I have recently found I could watch and listen to the beautiful BERLIN PHILHARMONIKA DIGITAL CONCERTS on line. I believe it is the only orchestra in the world that does this at the moment. I have registered with this web site, and now get regular emails from them telling me what concerts I can watch, you can pay if you want to watch a full concert, or just watch the excerpts for free. For people who live to far from concert halls this brings it all into your personal living room. Just type it in as I have spelt it.

Teetime Tue 24-Feb-15 16:51:24

This sounds excellent I will give it a go. I'm a classic FM addict - its on in several rooms at once all through the house.

Mishap Tue 24-Feb-15 18:05:16

Sounds brilliant - but not cheap at about £15 per month to subscribe. Certainly worth that to me, but I will have to wait till the new connections that are to be put in arrive, as things are just too slow at present out here in the wilds.

Elegran Tue 24-Feb-15 19:09:05

I can't find how to watch excerpts fee.

Mishap Tue 24-Feb-15 20:49:20

I'm told the cables have reached the next village - so fingers crossed!

TriciaF Wed 25-Feb-15 10:52:24

Thanks for that link - I've tried it and seems I can get the concerts!
Is Simon Rattle the resident conductor?

Mishap Wed 25-Feb-15 11:18:53

He is at the moment, but due to move on soon.

janerowena Wed 25-Feb-15 14:38:38

Thank you! smile What a lovely idea.

celialillian Fri 27-Feb-15 10:42:29

Good to hear many of you tried the Berlin Philharmonika web site. Even though I haven't paid for a full concert I get regular emails with different excerpts to watch and listen to, which I do each morning while drinking my first cup of tea of the day.it does seem to put me in a gentle state of mind.....I think other orchestras will be putting themselves online eventually, nothing like a good bit of competition...

janerowena Fri 27-Feb-15 11:22:29

Talking about Simon Rattle, I am singing with this lot again in May

www.oae.co.uk/about/biography/

but I have never managed to sing with them when he is conducting. I would love to. Although a friend tells me he has a bit of a short fuse.

Fili Wed 18-Mar-15 07:39:39

Love classical music a lot. Janerowena good luck! Also love to sing, but my skills are poor.

janerowena Wed 18-Mar-15 11:41:56

Thank you - I am not brilliant at pitching the first note after a break, so I have to do an awful lot of homework!

sara4 Wed 18-Mar-15 21:25:04

Hello Teetime, I too am a Classic FM listener. I have it on quietly in the background, all night as I have insomnia. But I sometimes wonder if anyone checks the playlists of music given to the presenters. So many of the pieces come up regularly, the piece that bugs me most is 'Out of Africa'. There are lots more but sadly I can't spell them without a little research. And why is it always the 2nd movement of a concerto they play, why can't we hear the first or last movement. And lastly, I hate those ads where they read the ad at a proper speed then read the terms and conditions so fast you can't possibly hear what is being said. Don't they know how stupid it sounds? But perhaps we're not meant to because its the equivalent of the small print in contracts.

feetlebaum Wed 18-Mar-15 22:04:55

Yes, they do like to play the slow movements - rather like Lucia (in Mapp & Lucia) who only played the slow movement of the 'Moonight' Sonata - the rest being beyond her. Really they should play the whole work or nothing in my far from humble opinion.

Still, you are often in for a good tune or two with the second movement - Mozart's Clarinet Concerto or Beethoven's Fifth Symphony for instance.

feetlebaum Wed 18-Mar-15 22:06:54

I meant to add Mozart's Piano Concert no 21 - the famed Elvira Madigan theme.

janerowena Wed 18-Mar-15 23:08:15

They played The Piano once too often for my sanity. I had to give myself a break from it. I used to love it! However, after not having listened to it for almost two years, I did think that they are now playing pieces that aren't quite so 'popular'. DBH used to swear that they were playing the same 50 pieces over and again.

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 23:24:33

It does get rather repetitive. I remember when Classic FM first came on air, I used to listen in the car on the way home and for days on end they played Eine Kleine Nachsmusik until I thought they really needed to send someone out to the nearest CD shop for more varied stock! I still hear it occasionally, but fortunately not enough to make me hate it.

aprilgrace Wed 25-Mar-15 08:02:41

They always seem to be playing Elgars cello concerto when I switch it on.

janerowena Wed 25-Mar-15 11:45:51

I don't mind that so much, it was my father's favourite.

janerowena Wed 25-Mar-15 11:54:40

That's the problem, isn't it. So many of these are the favourites of so many people, and they are good, it's just that we hear them over and over again and they start to become sound wallpaper.

Elegran Wed 25-Mar-15 12:13:45

The worst time is just after they have issued the list of the top one hundred requests - every presenter seems to work through the list in reverse order, so you get the same pieces again and again and again.

aprilgrace Wed 25-Mar-15 16:12:36

I quite like Elgars cello concerto, janerowena, - it's just that they always seem to be playing it. And I like the Elvira Madigan, but Classic fm don't seem to have realised that Mozart wrote 26 other piano concertos. And that they have 2 faster movements, as well as a slow one in the middle.

TriciaF Wed 25-Mar-15 16:15:29

I listen to Classic FM a lot, and agree about the repetition.
The type of music that irritates me is the modernish film music . eg last night we watched 7 Years in Tibet, and the theme music came up - you know it - dumdiddi da, di da daaaa....- and it put me off . It wasn't too invasive though.

janerowena Wed 25-Mar-15 22:56:02

I'm just back from one of my choir's Easter concerts. We did Faure's Requiem, and also Karl Jenkins' 'The Armed Man, a mass for peace'.

So many people loved it, and wondered why they had not heard it before. It's certainly wonderful to sing. I can't say I have ever heard it on Classic FM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTktcc4NqO4

In case you would like to listen to something a bit different. It has quite a variety of sound in it, including a moslem call to prayer.

aprilgrace Thu 26-Mar-15 07:38:28

Karl Jenkins has written some great music.
I love his Ave Verum- I have it on a CD,sung by Bryn Terfel and Simon Keenlysides. It's a beautiful setting.
We are currently learning Philip Ledger's Requiem for a performance on Good Friday. It's a work I'd not heard before but it's lovely- a bit like John Rutter. Maybe Classic Fm could play that one!