Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

classical music.

(56 Posts)
celialillian Tue 24-Feb-15 16:40:45

Hi everyone, I enjoy all kinds of music, but do find i can relax and unwind when listening to classical music, not to heavy to make me depressed of course....I have recently found I could watch and listen to the beautiful BERLIN PHILHARMONIKA DIGITAL CONCERTS on line. I believe it is the only orchestra in the world that does this at the moment. I have registered with this web site, and now get regular emails from them telling me what concerts I can watch, you can pay if you want to watch a full concert, or just watch the excerpts for free. For people who live to far from concert halls this brings it all into your personal living room. Just type it in as I have spelt it.

janerowena Mon 30-Mar-15 23:35:44

I rather liked the contrast between the two. Also, Armed Man was far kinder to altos, which I appreciated!

The next concert, on Good Friday with another choir, will be Stainer again (did him last year with a different choir) and a third with yet another choir will be Mendelssohn's Hymn of praise. I don't like the Stainer at all (apart from flinging wide the gates) and vowed to never do it again, but a friend is short of altos for her choir.

janerowena Mon 30-Mar-15 23:48:55

Carrying Nellie's link over.

https://twitter.com/singingworkshop

One of my choirs runs three a year, we organise it and provide food etc. About a third of us turn up so that new people don't feel too nervous, they won't be left dangling mid-air, as it were. It's a good way of seeing if you would enjoy it.

TriciaF Fri 05-Jun-15 15:54:12

Reviving this old thread because I've been listening to some choral music.
I belonged to a few choirs, but we never sang this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCULWK4tNuc

Just the first chorale, it's sublime (imo). Brings tears to my eyes.

Greyduster Fri 05-Jun-15 19:10:57

Trisha, You took the words right out of my mouth!

janerowena Fri 05-Jun-15 20:10:41

Lovely!