Gransnet forums

Webchats

Sir David Jason webchat - Thurs 17 Oct 1-2pm

(64 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Oct-13 13:49:40

Sir David Jason was born in 1940 in North London. His acting career has been long and varied: from his theatre work in the West End to providing voices for Mr Toad from The Wind in the Willows, Danger Mouse and The BFG; and from Open All Hours and The Darling Buds of May to his starring roles as Detective Inspector Frost in A Touch of Frost and, of course, Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses.

We are delighted to be doing a webchat with him to mark the publication of his long-awaited autobiography, My Life (and <whoop> we have a signed copy for someone who posts a question.)

Born the son of a Billingsgate market porter at the height of WW2, he spent his early life dodging bombs and bullies, both with impish good timing. He worked as an electrician before taking up acting and through a natural talent for making people laugh, found himself working with the leading lights of British comedy in the 1960s and '70s: Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Bob Monkhouse and Ronnie Barker. Barker would become a mentor to David, leading to hugely successful stints in Porridge and Open All Hours.

In 1981, kitted out with a sheepskin jacket, a flat cap, and a clapped-out Reliant Regal, David found the part that would capture the nation's hearts: the beloved Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses. He also enjoyed an award-winning spell as TV's favourite detective Jack Frost, took a country jaunt as Pop Larkin in The Darling Buds of May, and even voiced a crime-fighting cartoon rodent in the much-loved children's show Danger Mouse.

Scream Thu 17-Oct-13 13:47:23

What's it like being an older father? Are you preparing for the stroppy teen stage? grin

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:47:55

pamelaJEAN

Hi David,

Congratulations on your fantastic career, just love Only Fools and Horses, and I am really excited about the the Christmas Open All hours..... such good viewing for all the family. My question to you is have you any regrets in life!! Do you think you would have enjoyed working in a corner store!???

I suppose I have one very slight regret that I didn't have the opportunity to work in Hollywood. Not a big deal though! A corner store might have been a bit too much like hard work though.

muddyboots Thu 17-Oct-13 13:49:27

Hi Sir David! I am a big fan. What made you jump from being an electrician to an actor? Bit random!

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:51:04

petitpois

I love the royals. What did the queen say to you?

I think I'd be completely starstruck if I met you. Is there anyone you've met in your career who you've been starstruck by?

Any good gossip? wink

The Queen said to me, "congratulations Mr Jason (before she knighted me), what are you doing next?"

I felt such a wolly because I said "I'm going to be doing a Christmas special of Only Fools and Horses Madam!" She just smiled graciously.

I've met so many people, but I was really pleased to be able to meet both leaders of our main parties, David Cameron and Ed Miliband. That was nice.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:52:25

I've been asked my favourite cake: I'm not much of a cake fan, but I am partial to a Jaffa cake!

woof Thu 17-Oct-13 13:52:40

Hello David. Do you think it's harder nowadays for kids to get into acting? In fact, do you think it's harder now to climb up the ladder from being working class?

ChristmasIsComing Thu 17-Oct-13 13:53:56

Hellooo David. What does Sophie want to be when she grows up? Does she want to go into acting like you? Are you encouraging her to? grin

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:56:52

Maniac

We got our first TV in the mid 60s and I seem to remember a comedy series where you played a rather inept detective (or spy) We enjoyed it so much and the whole family were your devoted fans from then on.Have I imagined it? -never repeated or mentioned in your credits.
Did you enjoy your time living in Bristol -my home town for last 25 years?

Not at all, it was a show called the Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs, a spy with the MI5. It was a show I loved to do.

I did enjoy Bristol and I had a very happy time when I was filming Fools, but it wasn't quite so nice when I was on tour because we were in a B&B! Staying in digs in B&B was just what you did - doing the play was what you were waiting for.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 14:02:03

muddyboots

Hi Sir David! I am a big fan. What made you jump from being an electrician to an actor? Bit random!

It's not quite as simple as that, but I had been, for ten years, enjoying being an actor in an amateur theatre group. Eventually after ten years, I realised that the only time I was getting any satisfaction from life was when I was acting, so I decided that I'd try and become a professional actor.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 14:02:32

Thanks so much to Sir David for taking the time to chat to us today! Never seen the office so animated.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 14:03:29

Thank you for a very enjoyable hour with some very nice questions. I hope my answers have been satisfactory!

laidback Sun 20-Oct-13 04:06:16

Oh bugger missed it! You are known in the industry as being a bit tight! Why did'nt you ever buy a rounds of drinks during filming?! Lloyd pack was nearly as bad?!..... Well?

suliza Thu 31-Oct-13 21:03:49

my daughter and her partner was in the programme FROST with david jason when it was filmed at Blackpool north pier. he is a very nice person