Gransnet forums

AIBU

............to create a quiet corner.

(489 Posts)
glassortwo Fri 11-May-12 13:02:37

Its been a while since notso corner was in use, maybe now would be a good time.

Come on in........ I am just dusting things down and have the kettle on.

nelliedeane Sun 13-May-12 19:49:20

Hi Jess have had a couple of yoga sessions,but havent continued as I am constrained by school hours and the classes dont fit in with those,so virtual yoga will help my mind if not my body,thinking about it.Am lucky to be quite supple but do have Cod Liver Oil caps and glucosamine supplements to help me keep up with teenage shennagins.
I live in a village with lots of wildlife[apart from teenagers] and love to look out for the deer..we have Roe deer and muntjacks,we have been fortunate enough to get up really close,I miss seeing foxes we saw more urban foxes when we lived in Essex,although We have chickens and Mr Fox is not a visitor I would welcome in my garden,squirrels and beautiful birds are a joy first thing in the morning and a beautiful lady blackbird sings her heart out in the evening.

Ariadne Sun 13-May-12 20:16:39

I have black birds too, and they have been singing all day - from 4.00 onwards...loudly! Thought of four and twenty of them at that stage! But seriously, it's lovely.

pompa Sun 13-May-12 21:51:08

We visited our friend today, he was much better than I had expected, he is recovering from surgery quite well, improving every day. If he continues this way, he could be home later this week.
However the long term prognosis is not good, they think it is probably lung cancer. The biopsy will tell.
He (and I ) worked with asbestos when we were apprentices, he went on to work for 35 as a development engineer in the nuclear power industry, he also smoked heavily until 20 years ago, so any of those things could have contributed to his problems.
I'm sure our visit cheered him up, and also gave his wife some support. We had to laugh, he lost the plot last night, tried to walk out of the hospital, after taking off his gown shock and then dragging his various tubes, bottles, bags etc after him. He thought he was having a dream. Guess it was the effect of the various drugs they are giving him.

Jacey Sun 13-May-12 22:04:16

Glad it all went well pompa...a difficult time for all of you flowers

glassortwo Sun 13-May-12 22:19:54

pompa I think your friend will be glad to get home, hospital is not always a restful place to recover.

They say it takes 30 years plus for asbestosis to show, my DH worked with it when he was an apprentice he was a third generation plumber and his Dad 78 has asbestosis, but we are hoping that DH has not been infected but he would come home some days covered, its very worrying.

harrigran Sun 13-May-12 23:09:06

My Father had lung cancer, he died 3 weeks after diagnosis so there had to be an inquest. I had to attend it by myself and it was distressing to be told the amount of asbestos found in his lungs but that it was not the cause of death. My Father used to take his overalls off in the garden and brush them down, the horrible dust was blowing all over.

Faye Mon 14-May-12 02:34:09

pompa You might be interested to know Canada still exports asbestos to developing nations.
"While Canada continues to spend millions of dollars removing asbestos from its public buildings – including schools, the Canadian Parliament House and even the Prime Minister’s own residence – Canada continues to promote the trade of this toxic material to the developing world. What is unsafe for Canada is apparently perfectly fine for Indians."
truth-out.org/news/item/8441-how-canada-exports-death-and-disease-to-the-developing-world

Very sad really, Canada also developed Canola oil. www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/09/25/the-inconvenient-truth-about-canola-oil/

Faye Mon 14-May-12 02:36:31

pompa I hope your friend gets through this okay, it is terribly sad to see someone suffering! flowers

JessM Mon 14-May-12 06:27:31

This is a quiet little corner Faye! Hallowed ground.

Faye Mon 14-May-12 06:51:13

It has been a busy day I might have a cup of tea instead and relax.

pompa Mon 14-May-12 18:54:40

Hi all, time to start winding down for the evening. (Not that I remember winding up !!)
I really want to phone my friends wife, but I think I should leave it until she phones me, don't like to keep bothering her, her day is very busy, takes her 5/6 hours a day visiting.

glassortwo Mon 14-May-12 19:08:44

pompa its is a nightmare when you have spent the day at the hospital to then get home and try to relax and the phone never stops, and to be relaying the same story over and over, but the opposite side of the coin it shows people care... I suppose that its getting the balance.... flowers

Butternut Mon 14-May-12 20:50:21

pompa - phone! It will be appreciated.

What a Monday! This is a place of quiet reflection. Lemon tea, relaxed on a chair, just mulling over the days events. Think I'll light a candle.

Butternut Mon 14-May-12 21:14:06

I've also lost my voice - anyone seen it?

glassortwo Mon 14-May-12 21:55:11

Its here butter in the corner, its a it dusty, but here I will give it a shake grin

pompa Mon 14-May-12 21:59:34

Time for bed, goodnight all. STDLTBBB.

Prize (virtual) for the first who can work that one out.

Bags Mon 14-May-12 22:05:12

Sleep tight don't let the bugs bite (plus an extra B for bad or back or your bum!). Night night, pomps.

glassortwo Mon 14-May-12 22:09:54

bags your too quick for your own good grin

Anagram Mon 14-May-12 22:11:11

Bed bugs, Bags! grin

Bags Mon 14-May-12 22:13:40

Aw, we just call 'em bugs. grin

pompa Mon 14-May-12 22:21:14

flowers to Anagram. Bags, you were close so, runners up prize cupcake

Anagram Mon 14-May-12 22:29:01

Oh, thanks pompa! I wasn't in it for the prize - really!
Bags can share the flowers as well, it is a huge bunch, after all! smile

Bags Mon 14-May-12 22:36:11

Oh, how kind nag. I suppose that means I have to share the cupcake hmm

No, really, it's not a problem. I've only had two bites... You can have the unchomped side grin

Anagram Mon 14-May-12 22:42:05

No, that's OK, thanks, Bags, I'm not over-keen on cakes anyway!

(Especially not half-noshed ones....hmm) grin

pompa Tue 15-May-12 10:55:18

flowerscupcakeflowerscupcakeflowerscupcakeflowerscupcakeflowerscupcakeflowerscupcakeflowerscupcakeflowerscupcake

There you go, share them around.

Great news this morning, my friend is home from hospital, late last night. Spoke to him for a few minutes this morning. He is obviously very tired and weak so did not want to keep him trying to chat too long. smile