Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hobbies

(34 Posts)
ginny Tue 10-Jul-12 10:58:48

I enjoy a number of hobbies including patchwork. Often people dismiss it with a comment such as 'why would you cut up fabric and sew it back together again ? 'Well, each to their own. I don't see what is so interesting about hitting a small ball into 18 little holes, catching a fish and throwing it back or eleven grown men chasing a ball around a field. If they enjoy it, that's fine. It often seem that 'homecrafts' are seen as something done by lonely, old biddies.

What do you think ?

JessM Thu 19-Jul-12 09:17:55

I used to knit about 25 yrs ago and still have a couple of things - including a Kaffe Fasset poppies jumper
I have recently started to learn to crochet. Last night i managed to make a hair ornament for GD. It is a bit wonky - a blue flower, with a yellow middle, attached to a hair clip. I am hoping that she does not spurn it. You can never tell with 7 yr olds what is ok and what is embarrassing! (pity that starts so early these days...)

Stansgran Thu 19-Jul-12 12:57:38

I sew for pleasure so the surplus and it's mostly surplus is sent to a friend's shop in a London Hospital which when I visited had empty shelves. So they get money (I hope ) for what gives me a hobby.

ginny Thu 19-Jul-12 14:52:29

Thanks for your replies. Seems on the whole we are a busy, interesting bunch.

ninathenana Thu 19-Jul-12 17:12:54

DH is never happier than when he's got a piece of wood in his hand. He also reads a lot and makes airfix kits !!! Now what use are they except as dust collectors grin

I love jigsaws, crosswords, reading, used to knit but can't do it these days. I admire anyone who is "crafty".

Patchwork is a lovely way to preserve memories, and some finished products are amazing.

PoppaRob Thu 19-Jul-12 17:31:04

Night owls lawn bowls one night a week for me, and a couple of ukulele clubs one night a week, sometimes more. Our uke clubs are mainly over 50s, with several members over 60. It's fun to be rocking out with a bunch of people who appreciate the music of the 60s, 70s and 80s! I led one of our groups on Tuesday night where we were blasting away to Dr Hook's "Cover of the Rolling Stone"! :-)

JessM Thu 19-Jul-12 17:49:19

Hello there poppa long time no see. Wish i could join you in those rocking evenings!

GillieB Thu 19-Jul-12 18:42:44

I tend to flit between things - it is almost as if any creative instinct I have only works in one direction at a time. At the moment I am baking (and, unfortunately, eating!). I am also knitting squares for the Woollyhugs group on Mumsnet (if you don't know, they produce handmade blankets for mums whose children have died; it's a collective effort) - a lovely idea.

When my children were young I used to make most of their clothes, but I haven't done any dressmaking for ages now (I do have a few things in the wardrobe which I have kept all these years). Does anyone remember Clothkits - I occasionally bought their kits, although usually my friend got the most wonderful velour and terry towelling from Derby and Chesterfield markets. I have knitted things recently for my grandson and granddaughter.

PoppaRob Fri 20-Jul-12 04:05:52

Hi JessM. I've played guitar (badly) for years, I build guitars and ukes and thanks to my rule of 40s (40 years of smoking, 40" waistline and 40Kg overweight) my singing is more a case of speaking in time with the music, but it's a good social outlet and gives me the chance to help other people enjoy their uke playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ZVFvtl2IM