Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I Invisible?

(35 Posts)
Gally Sat 12-Jan-13 13:50:35

Just returned from a social occasion, which is hard enough these days now I am on my own, where I was, yet again approached by the male half of a couple who said for about the 5th time in as many months, 'I am Ian, Have we met before?' I'm afraid I gave it to him real and proper. 'Yes we have met on numerous occasions and you knew my late husband very well at Rotary and you know full we'll my name is Gally'. Oh dear, do you think I over did it? He did come over and say 'goodbye Gally' when they left wink

MargaretX Sun 13-Jan-13 20:14:41

I've been invisible since I was on my 50s. I was once completely ignored while the headmaster and the caretaker discussed the lack of heatingand a broken window in my classroom. I was the one who had made the complaint and foolishly expected to have my opinion asked.
Now I have got used to it. I can go the garden centre with my hair a real mess knowing no one will notice. As long as DH still sees me.

crimson Sun 13-Jan-13 20:40:51

That's just how I feel. That and the fact that, if I go out one day with an article of clothing missing or forget to paint on one of my eyes [it's going to happen at some point] no one will notice.

Mishap Sun 13-Jan-13 21:23:20

Try being married to the local GP in a rural community - "Oh, are you Dr **'s wife?" Sigh.

But then I got out there conducting concerts etc and sometimes people would ask him if he was my wife - result!

Greatnan Mon 14-Jan-13 14:12:32

Margaret - I would have spoken to them both very sharply, reminding them that I had made the complaint.
I am not sure that size has anything to do with it - my daughter is about 5' 2" but she has a very strong personality and even when she is accompanied by her 6' 6" tall husband I am sure she is never overlooked.
When I was Head of the Wirral Remedial Service, in the 1970s, I was sometimes asked by salesmen if they could speak to 'the boss'. I quite enjoyed embarrassing them.

glammanana Mon 14-Jan-13 15:34:30

greatnan I can relate to that as well when abroad people would call into the bar and ask to speak to the "heffa" (what a title) and just go straight to mr g "heffa" is the Spanish for boss and he had great pleasure in calling across the restaurant that the "heffa" was needed.
So glad you put this man right back in his boxGally do they do this because they are with their wives and think that their wives may think of you as a threat if they remember your name,some men are so stupid at times.grin

jeni Mon 14-Jan-13 16:04:38

Mishap my DH got so fed up with being mrs W that once when someone was roll calling they said Dr W, I answered here
Mrs W --- stoney silence!

juneh Tue 15-Jan-13 10:56:27

When my first husband died nearly 11 years ago people used to tell me that I was angry. I angrilly told them that I was not. In retrospect I can see that maybe I was getting impatient and irritable with people who seemed to forget what I was going through. My expectations of people were high but people soon forget because they have stuff going on in thier own lives, this guy you met might be slipping into dementia, sometimes I think men tend to be less aware of what is going on around them especially the older generation.
I would tell people off at the drop of a hat because they had forgotten the most important thing about me which was I had lost my beloved husband.
I remember walking around the supermarket shortly after he died and kept thinking these people have no idea what I am going through. Now I look around the supermarket and think I have no idea what these people are feeling or thinking.
How sad we all are as we slowly sink into a thoughtless and selfish society.
sad

Gally Tue 15-Jan-13 11:09:21

juneh no he definitely doesn't have any signs of dementia. A keen sailor, active in Rotary and recently remarried - just a man! wink

itsnevertoolate Thu 17-Jan-13 20:40:51

Mmmm....Understand the potential difficulties posed by back pack wearers-but also reasons why someone might wear one!
I have met loads of people who have bad shoulders/arms,and the backpack takes the strain.
Others need a stick,and bags are awkward.
Or they cant carry much bagwise,but can carry more with a backpack.
Or they have to shop on foot,and can carry more with a back pack as well.
Also,a backpack means you can take off/put on clothes,when you are out,saves lugging coats,etc in your shopping bags!
Personally,I need two sticks,so shopping bags are,well,out!
I try my best to be careful,but just as with non-backpacking people,accidents can happensad