Gransnet forums

AIBU

bad language

(284 Posts)
celebgran Thu 24-Jan-13 17:53:50

is it necessary to use 4 letter words on this forum?

I find it quite sad if that is the case. It looks so harsh in print.

We all swear more I think nowadays but still do not like it, expect I am old fashioned.

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 19:41:03

That said, I'd also get irritated if people cluttered their speech with unnecessary words. But that applies to things like "like" and "you know" as much as the f word.

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 19:41:37

Yes, it bloody was, tegan! smile

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 19:42:39

A few posts up/down.... that should be irritation, not irritating. I guess people guessed.

Ana Thu 24-Jan-13 19:43:04

I'm relieved that bloody's OK...I think that's the only semi-swear word I've used on here.

glassortwo Thu 24-Jan-13 19:46:26

Well I thought it bloomin' was tegan smile

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 19:51:38

Very early on in GN history there was a robust thread about the euphemistically called four-letter words (something tells me I've got that wrong and it's not a euphemism; never mind). I remain in touch (not on GN) with one of the people who objected the most strongly to strong language even though I argued like blazes against him at the time. So clearly our difference of attitude towards the use of certain words didn't make a jot of difference. [warmgransnetglow emoticon]

glassortwo Thu 24-Jan-13 19:53:05

I remember that thread well bags smile

Ana Thu 24-Jan-13 20:00:10

At least this isn't one of those sites where posts are censored before they're displayed - years ago I was one one where you couldn't even refer to chicken breasts without 'br**sts' being substituted. hmm

absent Thu 24-Jan-13 20:15:30

Elegran Regardless of the vocabulary used, how often do nuns discuss copulation?

celebgran Thu 24-Jan-13 20:15:38

interesting, thanks for you comments, always remember our english teacher saying yonks ago similar to harrigran the dictionary is full of other words and swearing is form of laziness, just seems on unecessary on a forum but of course that is just my opinion.

have to admit to swearing quite a bit when rattled with dear OH AND others just hate to see it in print and never think it is necessary as said above.

Thanks ladies sorry if rattled anyone.

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 20:22:57

Puzzled rather than rattled, celeb. Swearing is used so seldom on GN it's hardly noticeable. No harm in giving the subject an airing now and then though.

celebgran Thu 24-Jan-13 20:24:02

just puzzled it is not deleted like most Forums really Bags.

janeainsworth Thu 24-Jan-13 20:29:53

I don't think you rattled anyone Celeb. smile
I have to admit to frequent verbal use of b*gg*r, bl**dy, sh*t and even s*d, but I don't like to hear the F-word or the C-word spoken out loud.
I know that in medieval times the usage was different, but I think that the increasing use of these particular words by young men in recent years is a symptom of increasing misogyny in our society, which has manifested itself in a very ugly way this week in the internet abuse of Prof Mary Beard, as discussed on the other thread.

Ana Thu 24-Jan-13 20:33:21

celeb have you ever looked at Mumsnet? If they deleted our swear words they'd have to delete theirs - there wouldn't be much of some posts left! grin

glassortwo Thu 24-Jan-13 20:36:58

grin grin your right ana

merlotgran Thu 24-Jan-13 20:44:22

Why should anything be deleted. We're all grown ups.....aren't we? hmm

celebgran Thu 24-Jan-13 21:05:06

just a question of standards rather than being grown ups merlotgran, just the reverse if we feel need for expletives could not agree more jaineainsworth but I must stress each to his own.

What offends some does not others we are all different.grin

merlotgran Thu 24-Jan-13 21:11:08

The fact that I'm not offended by the very occasional appearance of the f word on here does not mean I lack standards, celebgran.

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 21:13:32

When people say "offended", I often wonder if what they really mean is that something makes then feel uncomfortable. I've read plenty of stuff on Gransnet that makes me uncomfortable, and plenty of stuff I dislike. As grown ups I think we ought to be able to deal with a bit of discomfort without feeling the need for censorship. #freespeechandfreely

Bags Thu 24-Jan-13 21:15:45

And celeb has it spot on when she says that what offends some doesn't offend others. So, there lies the rub – who decides what is or isn't offensive? Better to leave things open and free.

Besides, there isn't a swearing problem on GN.

Anne58 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:27:41

Worried now that I may have used it, good chance that I have at some point. blush

annodomini Thu 24-Jan-13 21:29:25

I'm not offended by swearing, but simply bored with it. There's so much of it around that it just washes over me. English is a wonderful language with a huge and rich vocabulary - why not make full use of it rather than fall back on the same few obscenities to convey anger, frustration or irritation?

baubles Thu 24-Jan-13 21:50:15

I often think 'ffs' in my head, seldom actually say it except when 'venting' and even then usually when I'm alone in a room.

Because I do use it so infrequently it certainly has an impact on anyone within earshot.

The 'c' word, used as an insult, is extremely offensive to me but I have used it once in a scrabble game after giving an 'extreme sweary word' warning! grin

Granny23 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:50:37

I remember being barred from posting 'cock-a-leekie' soup on Martins Money Tips recipe section. Somehow 'male hen & leek' soup does not have the same ring to it wink

glassortwo Thu 24-Jan-13 21:53:02

grin