Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that parents should not abuse children in this way?

(44 Posts)
bluebell Thu 11-Jul-13 11:02:51

Or newspapers encourage them to do so?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2359570/My-demon-daughter-Many-mothers-boys-long-little-girl-careful-wish-says-besotted-battle-weary-mother.html

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Jul-13 16:14:26

Surely not nanaej those ladies denied it totally. !!

I did like this line though!

'It's being forced on our children,' Ms Eve said. 'They're only eight-years-old - it's a struggle to learn their own language let alone goodness knows what else.
It says more about those parents that they might have wished to reveal.

The best such moment was my 3rd or 4th generation Jewish former neighbour who's ancestors had come to the UK around the early 1900s fleeing the pogroms of the Russian Empire.
In the 1980s she was heard complaining about the influx of another group of African Asians from one or other of the former British East African states who were doing a bit of ethnic cleansing at the time. She seemed oblivious to the irony of her position.

FlicketyB Thu 11-Jul-13 16:16:42

What always amazes me is the complete lack of self-awareness of the parents. In all these stories the parents just show up their own inadequacies and dare I say sheer stupidity, rather than garner any sympathy for either their plight or the plight of their child.

I'm sure I was traumatised when I was forced to learn Norwegian drinking songs at university, but it could just have been a hangover.

annodomini Thu 11-Jul-13 16:38:46

The readers who voted in the DM poll on whether the school was right to ban the beauty queen from the prom were massively in favour of the school's decision.

nanaej Thu 11-Jul-13 17:09:01

Irony of the story you mention Flickety is that Uganda was mooted by Britain as a possible Jewish homeland before it was agreed to give Palestine.

Good old GB giving away countries it doesn't even own!

j08 Thu 11-Jul-13 18:45:38

I gave up reading the article when I saw they had called the kid "Ottoline". Where the 'eck did they dig that one up? hmm

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Jul-13 18:50:11

* jingle* I thought the name fitted the story pretty well. Poor child!

Marelli Thu 11-Jul-13 19:03:53

What an awful woman. The behaviour does make me think of my own DGD's, however hmm, although she has no siblings.

nanaej Thu 11-Jul-13 19:06:55

Oh oh! Mixing threads..straying onto the Katie apprentice person discussion about names!!

Marelli Thu 11-Jul-13 19:15:14

Ovaltine...grin!

Mishap Thu 11-Jul-13 20:57:53

How sad that this mother is prepared to label her child in this way in the media. What can she be thinking of? Not of how to be a good mother I suspect. The fact that she is willing to do this says it all. Poor child.

janeainsworth Thu 11-Jul-13 21:05:50

j08
Possibly this one
She was quite a girl too wink

Ana Thu 11-Jul-13 21:08:10

I kept thinking of Ottilie Patterson...{jazz singer}

Nonu Thu 11-Jul-13 21:16:16

JANE , loved it , they certainly put themselves about .

Bit like the present day really !!!!!!!

Does anything change ??

Stansgran Thu 11-Jul-13 21:24:18

Wasn't there a rather eccentric woman Lady Ottiline Morrell a friend of the Sitwells and Siegfried Sassoon ? I bet that's where the name came from. And imm sure tha taw full woman on the other thread would love her children to be friends. Sorry feeling very scratchy tonight and shouldn't be so catty.

Stansgran Thu 11-Jul-13 21:25:23

I didn't reread post meant that awful woman

Joan Thu 11-Jul-13 23:13:37

Well, the young lass in the original post here seems like a handful, but simple, enforced boundaries should do the trick, along with giving her the cold shoulder when she acts up, instead of attention. The Mum seems to do the bribe thing - BIG mistake.

I assumed, reading it, that she'd changed the names for privacy's sake, but perhaps not. There seems to be a hint of revenge in the article. There was no mention of how she goes on in school. Perhaps the boundaries imposed by school life are working, there.

Joan Thu 11-Jul-13 23:15:03

Oh, and that thing about the Mum objecting to foreign language songs - I don't think there is any doubt about it; that mum is a racist.

maxgran Tue 16-Jul-13 12:23:50

What a stupid mother.
She has the daughter that she deserves and that she has created!

The article should be about an inadequate mother - not about the child's behaviour.
Anyone who admits their daughter bites and scratches as if its the child's fault and something the rest of them 'suffer' should seriously look at their ability to be a parent.
She also mentions walking on eggshells around the girl??! Yeah, right!