Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that parents should not abuse children in this way?

(43 Posts)
bluebell Thu 11-Jul-13 11:02:51

Or newspapers encourage them to do so?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2359570/My-demon-daughter-Many-mothers-boys-long-little-girl-careful-wish-says-besotted-battle-weary-mother.html

bluebell Thu 11-Jul-13 11:04:11

Oh s* - still a stupid woman!

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2359570/My-demon-daughter-Many-mothers-boys-long-little-girl-careful-wish-says-besotted-battle-weary-mother.html

Nonu Thu 11-Jul-13 11:18:50

Strikes me, she has been spoilt rotton , as the "longed for" girl .

How anyone could wash their dirty linen in public like this , is beyound me.

Still , the nice fat cheque will "Help" no doubt !!

Butty Thu 11-Jul-13 11:30:57

I gave up reading this article after the word 'terrorising'. Ridiculous use of the word.

whenim64 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:39:27

Sigh.....why do parents use such an outlet to say they need some support, why do journalists promote the notion that active children who haven't learned, or been given, boundaries should be demonised in public? Why not publish a story that demonstrates how parents can learn how to care for children who are challenging their abilities? It is tough sometimes, but this isn't how to make it easier!

Ana Thu 11-Jul-13 11:44:29

What was this woman thinking? And the child's identity out there for all to see...

janthea Thu 11-Jul-13 11:48:10

'Spoiled Princess Syndrome' Obviously spoiled rotten from birth and now run rings around her mother.

I mentioned the article to my daughter, who said exactly the same as me.

noodles Thu 11-Jul-13 11:51:14

Stupid parents and poor child. Now she has to live up to that reputation. This horrible article will follow her wherever she goes.

Life must be very hard when you have such an attention seeking mother.

whenim64 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:54:59

Spoiled rotten? How do you go about spoiling a child to make them rotten? The poor kid has been inconsistently parented and might be more active than most children, but she has been taught to demand material things and not been sufficiently guided to understand appropriate behaviour. That's a form of child abuse.

Nonu Thu 11-Jul-13 12:13:24

BIG , BIG mistake to do that , Ana .

IMO

sunseeker Thu 11-Jul-13 12:16:23

Not being a mother myself I may be out of order commenting on this but it does seem to me that the child has been indulged all her life. It will probably be harder for the mother to set boundaries now but she really needs to try for the childs sake.

I agree that writing about it in a national newspaper will not help and could make the child live up to the reputation.

Nonu Thu 11-Jul-13 12:45:01

Not at all Sunseeker , you as much entitled to your opinion as the next .

smile

sunseeker Thu 11-Jul-13 13:10:28

Thanks Nonu - I do sometimes refrain from commenting on some threads, preferring to leave the comments to those with the experience!

Nonu Thu 11-Jul-13 13:32:49

I know what you mean .

Sel Thu 11-Jul-13 13:37:44

sunseeker if we all adopted your policy of leaving those with experience to comment, it would be a quiet place grin

Aka Thu 11-Jul-13 14:03:48

I think you've already says it all.
And Sunseeker sometimes someone looking at the situation from a 'outsider' (hope that does not offend) view point can see the situation much more clearly than others.

sunseeker Thu 11-Jul-13 14:04:31

I know what you mean Sel but I am also aware that it is very easy to have lovely theories when you don't actually have to do the job!

Lilygran Thu 11-Jul-13 14:22:22

And how about this one? www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2360079/Beauty-queens-tears-banned-school-prom-missed-lessons-mother-ringing-childrens-services-complain.html

Lilygran Thu 11-Jul-13 14:25:08

Or this one? www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2359429/Parents-fury-schoolchildren-living-town-popular-eastern-European-migrants-taught-song-Lithuanian.html. I'm Soooo glad I'm not teaching any more!

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Jul-13 14:32:37

I thinks its an appalling way to treat a child, to subject her to that sort of publicity. That can only further damage the relationship.

I am speculating here, but did she want a nice fluffy pretty and compliant girl. Having spoiled her by never setting any boundaries has Mum eventually become aware how wrong this child's behaviour is but doesn't want to acknowledge how much of it is her fault?

Mum needs to stop demonising this poor girl and to take a cold hard look at her (mums) part in this problem. I hope she spends her fee on getting some instruction in restarting this relationship properly.
She needs "supernanny" type help.

How can she be so naive about her part in this?

Nelliemoser Thu 11-Jul-13 14:48:40

OMG! I shall have to sue as I was traumatized by having to learn songs in French when I was at primary school when they were trying to get us used to language learning.

If the parents don't like the children singing in Lithuanian perhaps they should emigrate to Spain to avoid all these foreigners coming into Britain.

As for the beauty queen good job too! Schools need some discipline.

Elegran Thu 11-Jul-13 15:10:20

Did it ocur to the parents to point out to the boys who were "traumatised" that the children from Lithuania were having an even more traumatic time not only learning songs in English but also having every single thing said to them at school in a foreign language? Including everything said to them by the children they were playing with?

nanaej Thu 11-Jul-13 15:26:11

I am surprised i was not sued ..we taught children songs in various languages:Urdu, French, Spanish, Arabic, Swedish, and Norwegian are the ones i remember..there are probably more. I do not want to sound cynical but are the protesting parents just being a bit xenophobic?

As to the 'traumatised' prom girl..hardly worth a comment. She was informed of the rules, warned she was not meeting the criteria and she is old enough to enter Beauty Pageants she needs to grow up, listen to what she is told and take some responsibility for her actions! Poor girl nearly smudged her make up!

nanaej Thu 11-Jul-13 15:27:27

Are either of those two items worthy of national press? I don't really think so!

Deedaa Thu 11-Jul-13 15:28:56

We had to sing carols in French and Latin - double the trauma! As for being "forced" to do things, almost all my school work was done under duress, does anybody CHOOSE to do calculus or clause analysis ??