Gransnet forums

AIBU

'Me time'

(85 Posts)
Gally Thu 19-Sep-13 03:52:48

i find this article unbelievable - I am, for once, speechless shockwww.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2424643/I-know-little-girls-young-school-I-need-bit-time-says-SHONA-SIBARY.html

whenim64 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:23:48

Thanks, Ana smile

Iam64 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:41:25

Classic Daily Wail - female journalist writes overly personal column, in which she exploits her own children's privacy to make money.

If this was an article in the same paper, about a single mother, who is combine shift work as a carer/cleaner with caring for her 4 children, I feel sure it would be much more openly judgemental. As it is, it's purpose is to confirm the Mail's belief system, that women can't combine work and motherhood.

thatbags Fri 20-Sep-13 09:52:12

Well put, Iam.

KatyK Fri 20-Sep-13 15:16:30

Personally I would take what this woman says with a pinch of salt. She is another professional 'winder up' if that's an expression. Similar to Samantha Brick, Katie Hopkins and Liz Jones, being paid for being controversial I have seen her on daytime TV in various debates on all manner of subjects.

Stansgran Fri 20-Sep-13 17:58:25

KatyK you've just given me four good reasons why I will never need to watch daytime tv

KatyK Fri 20-Sep-13 18:59:04

Stansgran - and you have just reminded me why I need to stop!

supernanny Mon 30-Sep-13 08:39:52

The most worrying part of this article is the fact of a 4 year old child needing to suck a dummy and wear nappies at night! Smacks of laziness on the mother's part.

Iam64 Mon 30-Sep-13 08:54:14

more than laziness supernan - much more worrying emotions at play here

j08 Mon 30-Sep-13 09:14:03

Nothing at all wrong with a four year old sucking a dummy. And certainly nothing wrong with he/she having to wear a nighttime nappy!

I think the woman has the wrong idea about state schools. She says, "I'm a paying customer and can therefore call the shots." Most parents these days realise that we are all paying customers and are entitled to expect a good level of service from schools.

My GS2 (summer born) had to start school at four or lose his place at the chosen school. The school were very understanding of the fact that he got tired and didn't mind at all if he couldn't quite manage to complete the whole week. And he had a whole term of mornings only.

I think we might be worrying about this kid too much. She's most likely right as rain, whilst getting in tune with what life is going to be like in to-day's world! grin