Gransnet forums

AIBU

how do you feel when someone gives you a present that you once bought for them!

(40 Posts)
bikergran Sun 27-Oct-13 12:03:47

IT has happened to me not once but twice now.
a year or so ago one of my friends turned 75 she is fully up to date with it and certainly not! loosing marbles..for her birthday I bought her a lovely pair of Laura Ashley garden gloves, very nice they were too all flowery etc and cost around £10, we used to have a joke that even when she is doing the garden she is posh! smile anyway cut long story short, last xmas this friend gave me a little pressie(although we had said we weren't going to bother anymore) come Christmas day I opened the present and yes! you have guessed it!! "one pair of unused Laura Ashley garden gloves"!! shockI wan't sure how I felt as I had chosen this present carefully as friend knows I am a practical person and wouldn't want some thing that was shoved in a drawer.anyway!! today my other friend (yes I do have more than one lol) came to meet me as she had a present for me for tomorrow, it was a little bag with some bits in (we have a joke that we only buy each other stuff from the £1 shop)anyway in this bag was something else! it was a cup! that she bought for her OH when were were out together one day (not from the £1 shop but from a popular market town I know it's the same one as it has a certain picture on the side.! I am to feel honoured or do a laugh or what! hmm

newist Thu 07-Nov-13 18:54:59

Myself and all my local friends recycle bags that we give presents in, the same bags go round and round, I hate waste and some of them are to pretty to throw, so we just change the labels each time they are used grin

Flowerofthewest Thu 07-Nov-13 18:31:28

My two uncles presented my DDH and I on our wedding day a table cloth with napkins pinned onto it with rusty pins. Their kind words were, We bought you an expensive gift the first time round!!!! Charming.

Flowerofthewest Thu 07-Nov-13 18:29:16

My DD often 're-gifts' as she calls it. I have yet to receive a gift I have bought her. I wonder how many of her friends have gained back their presents. Mind you she does work in a junior/infant school so receives many many gifts of smellies, chocs etc. each Christmas

tiggypiro Thu 07-Nov-13 08:51:23

My sister's mil (who was not exactly skint) once gave me some M&S talcum powder. It was in a tin (M&S very old stock), was rusty around the bottom and had a tatty piece of sellotape across the top.

Laine21 Wed 06-Nov-13 23:20:53

At least it wasn't a used gift from a charity shop :-)

I have a friend that likes to make sure she gives the first gift and made a bit of a thing about it, wrapping it very nicely and making sure you know she has got the present to you early. I always made sure i spent a fair bit on her presents, until a few years ago. About 2 weeks before Christmas she made a point asking me to pop round as she had our presents, she gave me an expensive looking pampering gift set, I was surprised she had spent so much. I opened it when I got home, only to find out it had been used, not only that, the charity shop sticker was still on the packaging, (it had a flap cover over the front, and the sticker was on the closed flap,) and inside was a USED hard skin remover, it Was still clogged with someones hard skin! yuk!!!! and two of the creams inside had been opened and partly used. I have to admit I have not bought her anything in return ever since! I know everyone likes a bargain, but she could have at least checked that her charity shop bargain was new and with no added nasties from a previous owner.

grannyactivist Fri 01-Nov-13 23:56:51

I do receive a lot of 'thank you' gifts and I always appreciate the thought, however I admit that some of them are re-gifted or are handed on to charity shops. For instance I receive many scented candles, but as I have an allergy to most artificial scents I never risk using them and pass them on to others. Similarly I have a nickel allergy so earrings and bracelets that are not nickel free get passed on too. I wouldn't mind at all if gifts I had given were passed on; I'd be a little disappointed in myself that perhaps I had misread someones taste.

harrigran Fri 01-Nov-13 23:41:51

I tend to buy things that I really like myself, I have never been given back any of the top-end candles or perfumes that I have gifted grin

nanamacatj Fri 01-Nov-13 06:24:34

This thread made me smile as I have just bought a present for my Sil's birthday and would be happy to be given it back [not that she would] I have wrapped it so that I'm not tempted to use it for myself as I haven't time to go and buy a replacementgrin

jeanie99 Thu 31-Oct-13 23:40:49

I've heard about people who do pass on presents they have received but don't like I've never received any myself but if I did I'd make a comment.
If this is a good friend there shouldn't be a problem about it and you would both have a good laugh about the lapse in memory.

Stansgran Thu 31-Oct-13 19:24:44

Offer them as prizes in a charity tombola unless they have a sell by date .

mygrannycanfly Thu 31-Oct-13 19:04:03

I get lots of presents every year and I can hardly keep or use them all.
I do recycle presents I must admit, so I hope I never get caught out in that way. However I only recycle gifts that I think are nice, things that I really don't care for go to charity.

Sometimes I get something that I am keeping for suitable occasion that never seems to arrive and so when I need a gift, I think, "look at this super thing that is just sitting here unused, why don't I give it to someone who will actually use it?" So when I give something away, it isn't necessarily a rejection.

I have 4 bottles of Baileys Irish Cream in my cupboard and I can't remember who gave them to me. If I give them to people that I think will like Baileys I will probably be returning them to sender. So what do I do?

gracesmum Thu 31-Oct-13 19:03:29

I have a very practical, not to say down to earth friend who simply agrees with the family members that each one buys themself something they like and then tells the other what they have "given" them. Not very romantic, but she says it saves a lot of unwanted trips to the charity shop!!

Stansgran Thu 31-Oct-13 14:51:23

I bought some fine Swiss lawn hankies for DH's godmother. She loved anything delicate or embroidered and they were very expensive. Some years later she sent them to my DD for a present. As she was then in her 90s I didn't say anything to DD but wondered to my MIL if godmother was hard up and should I send vouchers or similar explaining why. Guess what? MIL told godmother who was terribly distressed. I now would never mind if it happened and would never mention it.

Nanban Wed 30-Oct-13 21:30:29

I think it's hilarious! A friend gave another a bottle of mead for Christmas [yuk] and the following year, that friend gave it to another neighbour, who gave it to another ..... I wonder if it's still going around.

I gave a small thing that reminded me of someone I preferred to forget, to the charity shop. Lo and behold a friend then gave it back to me saying she bought it because she had seen one I already had .....

penguinpaperback Sun 27-Oct-13 20:49:38

Perhaps it's a great compliment smile the gloves were so lovely your friend didn't want to use them for gardening, couldn't remember who had given them to her but as you're such a good friend she chose to give them to you.
Or the friend loves her gloves so much she wanted you to have a pair just like them.
And the cup was too pretty and genteel for other friend to give to the OH so of course she thought of you.
Or you have very cheeky friends. smile

glassortwo Sun 27-Oct-13 20:30:13

My DH gave his brother back a bottle of wine that his brother had given him as a present DH had forgotten where it had come from but knew his brother would appreciate the wine as it was his favourite shock it was a numbered bottle, his brother laughed and said this is familar but took it all in fun.

AlieOxon Sun 27-Oct-13 20:00:48

The hobbits called them toecovers!

Gally Sun 27-Oct-13 19:58:27

I live in a small village where things constantly go around. About 25 years ago I put some rather nice tartan curtains into a sale, they reappeared some years later at another sale and then 2 or 3 years ago they appeared at the windows of the playhouse in the nursery playground at the village school grin

janerowena Sun 27-Oct-13 19:58:20

My sister loves really expensive scented candles, I do not. I bought her one two years ago and she gave it back to me last year. I was more annoyed that she hadn't remembered that I hate fake strong vanilla scent. It was fine though - MIL loves them too so it will be sent on to her! grin

BAnanas Sun 27-Oct-13 18:55:20

My mum was always winning rubbish from her Catholic church raffles whilst simultaneously being asked to donate to future ones. I did suggest that we donate some ghastly ornament she had won to a forthcoming raffle, they had many prizes, few worth winning, so she did, and then she won it back again! When it reappeared I did suggest that she should just bin it, which she did!

JessM Sun 27-Oct-13 18:46:07

slightly at a tangent but funny story on Mumsnet newsletter recently about the woman who wrapped 2 presents in identical paper - one full of sex toys (for a hen night or something) and the other a child's birthday present. And sent her child off the party with the wrong one!

bikergran Sun 27-Oct-13 18:25:38

I think why I remember is because I always choose my presents carefully (or so I thought) I always like to buy some thing useful even though it may seem a bit of an odd thing to buy.

Marelli Sun 27-Oct-13 18:16:57

I bought (what I thought) was a very pretty little pin dish at an Antiques Fair. I wrapped it up carefully in tissue paper and gave it to a friend for her birthday one September. That Christmas I got it back again, same tissue paper, but with Christmas paper round it as well. I wasn't too upset, because I did like it, but was a bit miffed because my friend hadn't liked it enough to keep it!
Was also a bit fed up when I helped another friend sell her stuff at a car boot sale - in amongst all her unwanted stuff was a picture frame that I'd bought her for her birthday....shock!

annodomini Sun 27-Oct-13 18:07:24

In an organisation to which I once belonged, a certain cake was raffled and re-raffled so often that it became a health hazard. grin

Mishap Sun 27-Oct-13 17:46:48

The problem here in a small village is that everything you win in the many raffles cannot be recycled into the next raffle as everyone will know what you have done! I have won some real rubbish!!