Gransnet forums

AIBU

Being lied to again

(35 Posts)
KatyK Sat 21-Dec-13 12:08:17

I have posted on here a few times about my relationship with my DD since she has been friends with a certain girl and her family. I won't harp on again but to cut a long story short, she is very 'into' this girl's family and goes to a lot of social events with them. The girl concerned is my DGD's dance teacher and my DD and her two best friends go to all the dance events along with her 2 friends' mothers but I am never included. My DD has told me 'porkies' in the past about things she has gone to with them. MY DD has now broken her foot. As her DH is working and we are not, we have been taking her to hospital appointments, I have been doing her washing and ironing and cooking a few meals for them - all of which is no trouble at all and I am very happy to help. She is going out for Christmas Day lunch with her DH's family. My family (who she always used to be very close to) always go to a local pub for lunch on Christmas Eve.
Sometimes DD comes and sometimes she doesn't. I asked if she was going to come this year and she said no due to broken foot (fair enough). I have now found out that she is going out on Christmas Eve with the said girl (not sure about the girl's mother) She is perfectly entitled to spend her time with whoever she chooses but why lie? Am I being unreasonable to be fuming!

Flowerofthewest Sat 21-Dec-13 20:42:30

I'm the mother of a 43 year old, 42 year old, 37 year old, 35 year old and 29 year old. They are all so very different but all lovely in their own way. Have a lovely Christmas Katy xxx

KatyK Sat 21-Dec-13 21:39:54

Flower - How lovely. My DD is 43. Maybe because she is an only child I am a bit clingy. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy 2014 x

Tegan Sun 22-Dec-13 19:22:03

Realised today that my son and his girlfriend were at my daughters yesterday [who lives 5 minutes away] and gave her a Christmas card to pass on to me. Haven't seen him for ages and will [hopefully] see him late Christmas day. At least he didn't just push it through the letterbox and drive off I suppose sad. Good job I'm developping a thicker skin as I get older [at least, I think I am sad]. My main role in life these days seems to be to let tradespeople into their homes when they're at work or be there for deliveries confused].

Nonu Sun 22-Dec-13 19:35:22

they are your son till they get themselves a wife /girlfriend !!

x

Tegan Sun 22-Dec-13 19:56:34

I'm just glad he's such good friends with his sister these days [it only took @ 26 years for that to happen!]. Families, eh smile.

Kiora Sun 22-Dec-13 20:11:24

I sometimes think 'be careful what you wish for' in my relationship with all my children. I miss the closeness we had when they were children and have often wished they'd talk to me more or especially with my sons give me the same amount of time they give their wives parents.My oldest has a wife, a teenager and 3 under 5's. So his life is manic. Before the last three he used to come every Sunday on his own for breakfast and a chat. I miss it but not enough for me to invite the whole lot of them every week. Not so long ago he had an injury and I had to drive to and from the hospital,a round trip of about 60 miles and for the first time in years he really opened up to me. I remember thinking " stop telling me all this, now I'll worry" My daughter often tells me porkies about her social life. Apart from wanting to tell her I'm not stupid I let it go over my head and smile wryly. When she does tell me the truth it's often something I'd be better off not knowing. My youngest will sometimes tell me something and say " but don't tell ..... (his wife.) I think well don't tell me either. I'm never happy.

Tegan Sun 22-Dec-13 20:42:05

It's like when he was away at uni I worried a little bit all the time, whereas when he was living at home I would lie awake at night waiting for his car to pull into the drive. When he worked nights in London if he wasn't back when I left for work I used to make an excuse to drive home so I could check he'd got home safely! What are we??

janerowena Sun 22-Dec-13 20:55:25

I'm the same, tegan. Mind you, he's only 18! I said to my daughter that I worried that he wouldn't stay in touch once he had left home properly. She sort of hesitated and said that, to be honest, she barely thought of us at all until she had children of her own. As I can't see Son having children (on purpose) for many years I fear that he will just forget about us. He has no sense of the passing of time and still can't remember when our birthdays are!

KatyK Sun 22-Dec-13 21:08:19

Tegan flowers I can handle it all except the fibs. As Kiora says please don't treat me as if I'm stupid, because I am not.