Gransnet forums

AIBU

To get a wee bit bored with my DDs conversation at times

(36 Posts)
felice Mon 27-Jan-14 14:43:14

Feeling a bit guilty, as some of you know I live in the granny flat in DD and Sils house, very cheap rent and they are very good to me. If we are not going out I go upstairs for a cup of tea morning, And today went up after SO had been for lunch, always when invited, just spent 30 mins hearing about Xbox One, ummmmmm, tried to sound interested but just failed,,,,!!
DD is an intelligent young woman but yes her hobby is gaming, hubby works away a lot and i know she enjoys playing the games in the evenings, but i really havn't got a clue what she is talking about., Now feel a bit guilty about doing a runner.

JessM Wed 05-Feb-14 18:36:37

There was a chap in a cafe holding forth about his opinions to all and sundry today, so loudly that I could hear him upstairs .

Aka Wed 05-Feb-14 23:56:53

At least with the DH there can be no problem with telling them 'You're mistaking me for someone who's interested darling' ... surely?

rosesarered Thu 06-Feb-14 10:59:14

AKA not really, if you don't want a] a huge row or b] hurt their feelings.

felice Thu 06-Feb-14 14:05:22

She did it again, went upstairs for a nice cup of tea and a chat, got 45 minutes on Minecraft,,,,,,,,,, Xbox game. Managed to change the subject eventually, then got a nice request, could i make a white sauce for her for tonight as mines is much nicer than hers, here is the milk, butter etc, i will text you 30 mins before i need it.
Ok SIL is away tonight and friends come round taking turns to provide dinner, they are all childless so easier if they come to here.
I am always invited but my language skills arn't really up to listening to chat round the dinner table sometimes.
Ok got that off my chest, thanks folks x

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:09:39

Beats having to listen to his prowess (or lack of it) on the golf pitch court or whatever they call it red

Luckily Mr Aka doesn't take offence easily and I do listen with rapt attention when he describes how he's tidied the kitchen for me (for me?) and praise him to high heaven.

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:12:12

Didn't mean to blank your post felice we crossed in hyperspace. Oh dear! Was she upstairs on the Xbox when she texted you.

Text her back 'I am not programmed to respond in this area' hmm

Elegran Thu 06-Feb-14 14:17:48

You need to get in there smartly before her with 45 minutes on why your white sauce is so much better than hers and giving her tips on how to improve her own, then diverting into cheese sauce, onion sauce, parsley sauce, apple sauce, sauce au diable, hollandaise, bearnaise, uses for left-over sauces of all varieties, how to freeze sauces so that they don't dry out or lose their flavour, the best combinations of meats with sauces, etc etc etc.

You are just not trying, felice !

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 14:22:45

That's inspired Elegran

Anyway better get off into town before Mr Aka gets back and attempts to bore beguile me with his exploits on the golf pitch.

felice Thu 06-Feb-14 14:51:32

Would love to Elegran, but as I am a retired chef and SIL trained originally as a chef, she is quite honest about why my sauce is better than hers, I don't have to tell her, the text will be to tell me when she needs the sauce upstairs, she was very sneaky, started with how much nicer my sauce was to hers and would i come up later and help her make one!!!!!! I said ok, then it was ah maybye it would be easier if I gave you the stuff and you can do it in your kitchen,,,,,,
She is quite nervous about cooking her dad is also a chef, works for a celebrity one actually, and she never seems to be confident in the kitchen, except for pastry and her flaky is to die for.
Most people cook from scratch here, even shopping for fresh stuff daily, ready meals are not popular, used more for emergencies then regular meals.
Still at the end of the day it is nice to be needed, although she is very open in how much she appreciates me, SIL too, I just needed a moan i think.

rosesarered Fri 07-Feb-14 16:46:38

The thing is; we all think our own conversation is riveting and a lot of others on the boring side. grin We have to grin and bear it for the sake of relationships.