Gransnet forums

AIBU

6 months of No Contact with Granddaughters.

(29 Posts)
RedheadedMommy Thu 20-Feb-14 12:01:05

to Do:

Honestly evaluate the behavior that led to the breach.
If you are at fault, apologize, apologize, apologize. Your dignity is not as important as restoring relations with your grandchild.
If after an honest evaluation, you still believe you were not at fault, apologize anyway and hope for the best.

This really hit home for me.
Im a Mumsnetter but i often lurk Gransnet. I saw this this morning and ive felt anger ever since.

Im the DIL btw. I have posted before looking for help regarding my MIL. The reason we are No contact is because of her. She knows what she has done and is still going round playing the victim. In this case her dignity is more important than her DGDs.

I dont understand how she can just walk away without trying toq

Penstemmon Wed 02-Apr-14 13:10:54

It does sound as if your MiL RedheadedMommy has some problems, maybe even illness.

I was fortunate and always had a loving relationship with my MiL and now, as a MiL myself a good relationship with my SiLs.

It is sometimes hard to imagine how or why parents/ grandparents get into these estrangement situations unless there is a mental health issue or a momentus event (theft/ physical / verbal violence etc) that would cause such a painful and irredeemable rift.

There are some people who, in any situation, like the world to revolve round them and their needs. I guess if a MiL or S/DiL were like that it would put a major strain on a relationship. No-one likes to feel they are walking on egg shells all the time... life is too short!

It is sad that the children fail to have a warm relationship with all grandparents. It can be so very special.

Penstemmon Wed 02-Apr-14 13:15:35

Sorry my post sound horribly smug and I did not intend that to be the case. I just do find it hard to see why some people appear to deliberately cause such distress within a family when they could have so much joy. I understand situations where there are mental health issues (including addiction etc) but the standing on 'principles' of 'it's not my fault' is beyond me!

RedheadedMommy Wed 02-Apr-14 14:23:56

I just do find it hard to see why some people appear to deliberately cause such distress within a family when they could have so much joy.

This sums up exactly what me and DH have been saying. She had DD1 one afternoon a week untill she was coming home stinking of smoke, after a long time we find out she has been smoking whilst DD1 was in her care. She told us not to bother bringing her up again...then we get texts about she has made herself ill with worry as she thought we wouldn't let her see DD1 again.
She had the chance to come down once a week and see her, she would cancel. We would arrange a day a few days in advance. She would then cancel due to hair appoitments, stomach ache, she even told us she has been really sick all night so couldn't come down...we find out a week later she actually had a hangover and was horribley sick.

She has had so many chances, we have allways involved her with everything and no matter what we did it was never good enough.

The fact that she canceled due to being hungover, then had the nerve to tell DH that we wasn't making enough time for her when i was in slow labour really made him angry.

She could of been such a huge part in her GDGs lives instead it's gone like this. DH has said she has allways been like this,��