Gransnet forums

AIBU

To move, or not to move?

(34 Posts)
fairygodmother Fri 07-Mar-14 18:41:27

Both in our early 70's, we live an hour and a half away from our son and his family. We see them whenever they are able, as they are both working very hard, with our granddaughter in full-time nursery. She will be starting school later this year, and they have to find a qualified child-minder who can both take her to school and collect her, until they return from work. They are often so tired, they take it in turns to rest at the weekends while looking after their daughter.

We long to be of more help to them, without being intrusive, and wonder if moving closer might be the answer. We certainly would love to see her a little more than at present.

She is very loving towards me, and is reluctant to leave whenever they visit, and asks us when she will see us again.

Her other grandparents live the same distance away, and, no doubt, are probably feeling the same way.

We have discussed the idea of moving closer with our son. He said that he thought that we would be crazy to even think of moving from an area that we are so used to, and that they enjoyed coming to see us here. Also, he argued, the roads in his area are chaotic, and it would take us some time to settle.

However, when we have mentioned that if only we were living closer to them then we could help them whenever they needed us, then they have both agreed with the idea.

Whether to move or not to move? That is the question.

glassortwo Sat 08-Mar-14 11:08:46

fairy think long and hard, but if you feel it will work how about renting for 6 months to be close to your family before you jump in with both feet, it will give you time to see if you can settle in the area.

But dont under estimate how tiring childcare is with a young child, having DGC visit for the weekend does not bear any relation to providing childcare on a daily basis. sunshine Good luck with your decision.

Anne58 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:11:02

glass excellent idea!

Nonnie Sat 08-Mar-14 11:57:16

I think my suggestion of a year is preferable because then you take in all the different seasons and all the school holidays

Anne58 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:58:23

Ooops sorry Nonnie I think I missed that one blush

fairygodmother Sat 08-Mar-14 12:32:04

Sorry Phoenix to be slow in responding. Frankly I didn't expect such a response, and I greatly appreciate all your comments. We will definitely give it some thought, and certainly do not intend to rush into anything.

I must admit to having suffered a setback in health these past few years, not to mention excruciating back pain ( who doesn't), so have to be careful. My little granddaughter loves to climb on my knee ( I can no longer lift her) so that we can enjoy reading together.

Also, her other grandparents live the same distance away as we do, and if we were to move, it might seem to them as though we're trying to hog the limelight, as it were.

We will bide our time, and discuss such an important decision at length, with the help that you have all given me.

My apologies again for being so slow. I am not used to blogging, but glad I found such a fantastic website. Thank you all, and God bless you.

harrigran Sat 08-Mar-14 12:42:17

Sounds like the right decision fairy.
DS mentioned at one time the possibility of buying a house in the general area where they live but we decided to stay where we have lived for the last forty years. Village where DS lives has one small shop and two pubs whereas I live half a mile from a big supermarket and could walk there if driving was not an option. GC are at school and secondary education is now on their minds and a house move closer to a decent school is probably on the cards. If I had moved a few years ago I would be in an unfamiliar area without family within another three years.

Tegan Sat 08-Mar-14 13:03:47

I'm wondering if you're feeling a bit of responsibility in that you feel the little girl needs more time spent with her [and her wanting to spend more time with you compounds that]. Just remember she is your grandchild not your child and you are not responsible for her happiness. I hope I don't sound hard in saying that but I do a lot of childminding for my grandchildren but it's all a one way thing in that my daughter is always so busy that anything happening in my life is just a nuisance and we did have a small break up a while back when I lost my temper slightly [unusual for me] because I was exhausted. Maybe you could suggest having the little girl to stay with you during holiday times to give her parents a break; that would be lovely for all of you? In my experience [limited as it is] little girls are much easier to look after than boys [till they reach the teen years shock].

rosesarered Sun 09-Mar-14 19:56:01

I agree with Tegan in her comments.Don't think I can add more than is already on this thread, but if it was me [and I was happy with the house I lived in and also the area] then I would not move for this reason.Children do not stay young forever, and they then have their own interests and friends.If she comes for the week-end now and agin , it will be a treat for her, and you have time to get over that [tired -wise] until the next time. Children can be exhausting.We should be allowed time for the things in our lives too.