Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wasted effort

(40 Posts)
apricot Thu 20-Mar-14 18:51:24

My granddaughter rarely visits but recently came for a meal on her way somewhere, accompanied by partner and his three children.
I enjoyed planning, shopping for and preparing a special lunch and extravagant dessert.
They sat looking at their plates and the partner said with a laugh, "We stopped off for burgers on the way." They had known I was preparing a meal and ate almost nothing so it was wasted.
Was I unreasonable to say, "Never mind, I'll just do a sandwich next time"?

KatyK Fri 21-Mar-14 10:42:41

Jingl - I should have. I am too much of a wimp. I have told her in the past that I don't feel she treats us very well. Nothing has changed. In fact she has accused me of being self-obsessed (pot and kettle springs to mind). I don't want to risk not seeing my grand-daughter. Her friends are more important that her family - I suppose I was the same with my parents.

bikergran Fri 21-Mar-14 10:45:22

I wouldn't even mention the word "food" or meal again, very rude and bad manners, I used to go out with a friend for our birthdays, we always went to curry house, this one time we arrived and ordered (we usualy split the bill) we had had starters and she kept saying ohh Im full!! the main came and she ate one piece if chicken and then said,,oh Im sorry but I have a party to go to and there is a buffet!! and proceeded to ask the waiter to put hers in takeway box!!! she is still my friend but we don't do birthday meals anymore!

KatyK Fri 21-Mar-14 10:48:24

biker - Charming!

Gally Fri 21-Mar-14 10:55:10

Apricot
Next time, meet them at the door with the well known Scottish greeting 'You'll have had yer tea then?' wink
Seriously, I would have blown a gasket - not known for holding back. You must have been so disappointed having gone to so much trouble

Bellasnana Sat 22-Mar-14 01:26:52

Gally. grin I shall have to remember that one!

Granny23 Sat 22-Mar-14 01:52:01

Gally and Bellasnana I feel I must point out that the 'You'll have had yer tea then?' comment is attributed only to Edinburgh people by the rest of us Scots. Round here acceptance of an offer to pop in for a coffee or a cup of tea involves being plied with platefuls of (usually HM) goodies and refusal is not an option. grin

RedheadedMommy Sat 22-Mar-14 10:02:36

So she knew you was cooking a meal and she had food on the way?!
Aswell as PUDDING?!

Very rude.
I would of starved myself for the day and so would my DH grin

annodomini Sat 22-Mar-14 10:22:54

Indeed, Granny23, as a west-Scot, I must agree. Good thing my GGPs managed to escape from Edinburgh to the shores of the Firth of Tay.

nanos8 Sat 22-Mar-14 11:00:57

Oh how hurtful apricot. I think you were really kind in your restraint. You say your granddaughter rarely visits. I think I d probably tell her sometime how lovely it was to see them and when and if they pop in again on their way somewhere could they get you a burger to. ��

janerowena Sat 22-Mar-14 11:06:11

I'm not sure, maybe they were thinking you would just give them a sandwich?

Lack of communication I think. I would just be surer of what was expected next time.

Penstemmon Sat 22-Mar-14 11:29:13

If they knew they were invited for a meal it was extremely rude to have eaten en route and refuse to eat the meal. I can undeerstand how hurtful that would feel.

I would express my upset/disappointment but thoughtfully such as

'Next time I won't count the kids in the meal as it wastes money if they prefer fast food but I would like to prepare sandwiches for you and xx'

..always keep the door open or else you DGD may not call again and that would be worse than an uneaten meal.

mrsmopp Wed 26-Mar-14 23:29:23

It's very easy for mixed messages to occur in these situations or for people to get the wrong end of the stick. Many years ago some friends asked us round one evening 'for supper'. Well, me being a Northern girl, supper means a butty at bedtime. Wrong! It was a three course dinner, and we struggled to eat it. Well, you don't feel you can ask exactly what you're getting can you?
What would you think supper meant?

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Mar-14 23:45:04

MrsMopp When I was little "supper" is the butty or cheese and biscuits. In my home the Evening meal could be called "dinner" or "tea".

Most people do not do "afternoon tea" these days, as in scones, neat sandwiches and fancy tea pots, any more . You just cannot get the staff nowadays.

granjura Thu 27-Mar-14 09:26:47

Well, if you lot are confused about 'tea' 'supper' 'dinner' etc- how are we furiners supposed to know what's what smile ???

I'd been living in England for about 4 years when we moved to East Leics- and after a few weeks I invited the wife of OH's colleague and kids for tea. I made a cake and some biscuits, and served tea and juice - kids were having fun- but they were staying a bit longer than I expected- then the little girl blurted out 'but mummy, when are we going to have teeaaa?'- I loked at the mum and she realised I had not realised what 'tea' meant in the Midlands- she explained and we had a good laugh about it. Put on some fish fingers under the grill and made mash pots and peas- and they were all fed and happy.