Gransnet forums

AIBU

throw away society

(57 Posts)
Silverfish Sat 31-May-14 16:25:28

Is it just me but I seem to see such a lot of waste by the younger generation, older ones too but not so much. For example, I was visiting DD the other day and on each side of the fence were lots of kids plastic toys just left in the rain, when my DD was young I brought the toys in and kept them clean, either putting big toys in the shed and smaller ones in the house.
This also seems to happen with clothes, I see neighbours with clothes on the line for days on end often trailing in the mud, I often see kids trainers in gardens. Do these people not realise that much expense can be saved by looking after things. After all you can sell good condition stuff on e bay or a car boot sale. I kept toys from my DD for 25 years and have given them to DGD when she stays, does no-one do that anymore.
I was also asked by a charity for clothes that DGD has grown out of, while I did donate some, I kept most just in case we have another little one. I know of at least 2 mothers, who, every Xmas, take a binbag and dump every toy in the house and the kids get new ones but surely they get attached to some toys and I think this is terrible. Any comments or is this just me being me

Stansgran Mon 02-Jun-14 09:28:41

I think I've got the same book JBF. It's a Ladybird one. My DH now has the fort that his father made but he always finds reasons not to bring it out for the DGS. But he lets them play with the pirate ship.grin

J52 Mon 02-Jun-14 10:19:34

There is an article in today's Times about the amount of wasted food thrown away by supermarkets. Apparently, only 2% of surplus food is distributed to charities.Tescos generated 30,000 tonnes of wasted food in 2013!

What an example! X

FarNorth Mon 02-Jun-14 13:04:23

I buy from charity shops, don't throw things out if they are perfectly good etc etc, but I am now also struggling with far too many possessions, and am having to do serious de-cluttering.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 14:08:41

That's it Stansgran. DS loved those books. Grandsons never took to them though. Kids change. hmm

Grannyknot Mon 02-Jun-14 15:03:08

The couple two doors down from us, regularly on bin days have what we call their "Argos clearout". It is just pink plastic tat as far as the eye can see ...

Tegan Mon 02-Jun-14 15:27:22

I'm still having my 'clear out' and have completely filled my bin for tomorrow, but I am a bit worried that I've put things in the black bin that I'll get in trouble for [eg plastic containers that has paint in that's dried so I haven't put it with the plastics]. I do feel guilty when I throw things away, though. I'm hoping that, when I've finished my clear out, I can reduce dramaticaly what goes into my bins. Mind you, some of the plastic containers are old ice cream ones that I've had for years and years and were used for storing things beofre they ended up in the decorating section of my clutterfest. I've just thrown out a nativity set that the kids made from clay and, quite frankly the figures look positively ghoulish, but I still found it difficult putting it in the bin.