Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think the World has gone completely mad........

(32 Posts)
Marmight Sat 04-Oct-14 14:19:26

...In Harrods, I read in the Times today, they are selling chocolates at a cost of £600 a box and they sell at least 2 of these per day shock. In a world where people are dying of malnutrition, disease and lack of water, someone has so much money that they can afford to eat chocolates which probably cost £30 each. I know it happens, but I am just so shocked........

durhamjen Tue 07-Oct-14 23:45:20

There was an article in last Friday's Guardian saying that Boris Johnson was being slated for suggesting that £2800 per month was an affordable rent.
He is expected to grant consent for the construction of 98 apartments on the site of the Royal Mail's Mount Pleasant sorting office site.
£2800 is a four bedroomed flat. They are supposed to start at £1170 for a one bedroomed flat.
The whole site is going to have 681 units, so heaven knows what the unaffordable rents are.

gillybob Wed 08-Oct-14 08:39:44

Well presumably once ether get their new runway they will just fly them in from wherever they need to GillT57 smile

gillybob Wed 08-Oct-14 08:42:10

It probably is an affordable rent for those for whom the apartments are intended Durhamjen . Those who have plenty coming in every month but can't do without anything in order to save for a deposit.

Shelby Wed 08-Oct-14 17:01:10

Don't we all like a little luxury once in a while? Does it make us feel guilty? - probably not.....
However, this sort of extravagance is appalling. It often appears that these ghastly people have no concern for their fellow human beings.
How can they watch the reports of the tragic events in the world, and not have a conscience? Just the cost of one box of these chocolates would go a long way to provide clean water or medical care in poor parts of the world. Can't help hoping the choc's will make feel sick!
It's fortunate that the majority of the human race still cares about their neighbours.

gillybob Wed 08-Oct-14 22:27:55

Unfortunately the majority of people do not hold the majority of cash though shelby and those with the most sadly give the least.

annsixty Wed 08-Oct-14 22:49:38

For reasons very close to me and my family I support The Smile Train which provides Cleft Lip and Palate surgery to children in Third World Countries. One of those boxes would provide surgery for 4 children but I suppose everyone has a right to spend their money as they wish.