Gransnet forums

AIBU

for thinking the 'Twittersphere' throws up some very nasty individuals

(39 Posts)
absentgrandma Thu 06-Nov-14 14:38:37

So Benedict Cumberbatch has become engaged. Unlike so many self-obsessed 'clebs' he took the old fashioned route and announced it in the Times rather than through his manager or on Twitter. I found that charmingly refreshing. Now we have a so-called 'backlash of twitter followers calling themselves The Cumberbitches (how nice!) posting nasty comments about his fiancee, none of whom actually know her. One such tweet read 'Sophie Hunter ...Hunt her!' Very ladylike shock

What is it about Twitter that makes people unleash such venom? Anonymity is the main culprit I suppose but it seems to me there are some very sad, evil people hiding behind their Twitter accounts. I embrace some aspects of social media..... indeed 'Gransnet' is a great help to many grans and grandads as a problem shared is often a great relief, but I just dislike Twitter immensely.

thatbags Fri 07-Nov-14 08:53:09

Watch the wee video. Much more of a tear jerker that stuffed penguins, for me.

thatbags Fri 07-Nov-14 08:53:21

than not that

feetlebaum Fri 07-Nov-14 09:05:19

While Facebook is fine by me, Twitter is annoying and incoherent, not to mention boring... it's almost impossible to link together the parts of what might constitute a 'thread'.

thatbags Fri 07-Nov-14 11:46:48

Nonsense. Just cos you haven't managed to do that doesn't mean no-one can. However, no-one is forcing anyone to join Twitter if they don't want to so why so many complaints from people who would appear to know little about it other than from the sleighting reports they hear in other media?

thatbags Fri 07-Nov-14 11:48:16

My learning about mycology and bryology is being assisted via Twitter. Boring and incoherent indeed. [outraged snort emoti] wink

gillybob Fri 07-Nov-14 11:50:21

I can't see the problem. If you court publicity you shouldn't be suprised when you get it.

gillybob Fri 07-Nov-14 11:53:01

Yes a lovely story thatbags He was on the radio this morning talking about it and they have raised a huge amount of money on the back of it too. Apparently the dog is none the worse for his ordeal and only has a couple of scuffed paws as a result.

absentgrandma Fri 07-Nov-14 15:20:14

Look, I know The Cumberbitches are an appreciation society Thatbags... I expect Alan Titchmarsh has one as well..... but what they don't appreciate is that he has been 'taken' by someone else, which pretty much puts paid to their bedtime fantasies. (Maybe they should stick to reading '50 Shades of Grey'). But why in God's name call yourself 'a bitch'(not you TB) unless you are such a pathetic female that you are happy to be referred to in the modern African- American terrm, ie my bitch (girlfriend)? As a 'WASP' and an erstwhile feminist I find the word abhorrent.

Now.... I have a serious confession which may see me banned from Gransnet in pertuity. I announced my beloved Pa's death in the Times 'hatched, matched and dispatched'. Pretentious, moi, Jings? Oooh losing Brownie points here by the secondsad. Many people knew, and served with him and it seemed the easiest thing to do, saved a lot of stamps as well. Not a act of pretentiousness at all really, let's just say sheer laziness. Does that suit you better?

thatbags Fri 07-Nov-14 15:51:30

I don't think some young women see the word 'bitch' in the same light as some of us might, AG. I think they use it very casually and not in a nasty manner, so they see no harm in calling themselves bitches—and, after all, there is no harm really. Words in themselves are never horrible, it's how they are used that matters and if a word isn't being used insultingly it isn't insulting. Also, if people do want to "self-insult", why should that bother me? smile

Leticia Fri 07-Nov-14 16:37:19

I thought Twitter was boring and I didn't understand it at all. After 4 years of looking in occasionally I suddenly had a 'eureka' moment when I got it! I ditched all the celebrities and have got lots of interesting 'ordinary' people. I know what is happening in the news as it breaks, I know what is going on locally,I know where hold ups on the road are etc and have signed far more petitions. There are lots of lovely people out there that you would never meet normally. There are wonderful photographers of wildlife and landscapes. The lost dog one was one that I saw early on and re tweeted - it was lovely to have the positive result.
How you get in with Twitter, and how much you understand it, depends on who you follow. This time last year I said that I would prefer to watch paint dry! I couldn't have been more wrong!

absentgrandma Fri 07-Nov-14 19:37:03

Aha....so someone at last takes Twitter abuse seriously

i100.independent.co.uk/article/the-simple-form-that-allows-women-to-report-harassment-on-twitter--g1cdeIX8Pg#

About time too !!

SingingSilver Sat 08-Nov-14 16:20:23

Most of that hate started on tumblr. I used to like the Sherlock gifs there, but even over a year ago there was an obsession with BC's partner. She was nicknamed 'Sophie the Stalker' and his delusional fans were convinced she only hung around because he was too polite to tell her to leave him alone. Being proven wrong has probably provoked many of the tantrums!

Deedaa Sat 08-Nov-14 16:28:14

Thatbags as one of the thousands of people who shared the missing dog on facebook I instantly thought "There are some decent people out there after all!" The fact that he was found safe and so much money was raised was the icing on the cake. It made up for some of the vile stuff on the internet.

From the sound of it BC has picked the perfect partner - someone seriously into theatre rather than a "celebrity". It seems an obvious choice, just as George Clooney could never have married anyone but a human rights lawyer.