Gransnet forums

AIBU

I know I`m being unreasonable but I cant help it!!

(42 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 22-Nov-14 11:39:00

DH has a cold. He`s been away and I was so much looking forward to seeing him again. However, the miserably moaning creature that has returned is driving me nuts. he has turned our house into a sort of super heated germ factory as he coughs extremely loudly and snuffles revoltingly everywhere. The sighing and sorrowful looks make it worse. I got him every cough/cold remedy known to man but he wont take them. Somehow he`s so catastrophically sorry for himself it makes me long for him to go away again asap. I know. I`m a bad person..........blush

Mishap Sat 22-Nov-14 11:45:55

Man flu strikes again!

kittylester Sat 22-Nov-14 11:53:59

I said this on another thread Jane and I too felt bad that I was so unsympathetic especially as he has been a star this week while I've had a stinker. blush

grannyactivist Sat 22-Nov-14 11:58:24

Oh Jane10 I'm in the exact opposite situation. My husband has a really dreadful cold (I know exactly how dreadful it is because he caught it from me), he has taken all the remedies he bought for me when I had it last week, but he's still outside up on a scaffold replacing all the guttering at the back of the house. I do understand that, having got the scaffolding for a limited time, he has to complete the work, but I do feel very sorry for him. I hear him coughing and sneezing, blowing his nose and really wish he could come indoors and put his feet up.

yytonyjagyy Sat 22-Nov-14 12:17:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

yytonyjagyy Sat 22-Nov-14 12:18:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rubysong Sat 22-Nov-14 12:18:35

Jane put him in the spare room with a heater, hot water bottle and lots of fluids since he insists on being hot. Don't let him out until he is better otherwise you will end up ill as well. 'In sickness and in health' didn't mean you have to share his germs.

GA probably the fresh air up on the scaffolding will help him to recover quicker. Have some hot chicken soup ready for him when he comes down.

The rest of us need to remember Dr Rosemary's advice that the best way to avoid cold is lots of hand washing and not to touch our faces.

yytonyjagyy Sat 22-Nov-14 12:18:46

yytonyjagyy Sat 22-Nov-14 12:19:28

newist Sat 22-Nov-14 12:20:47

Reported

rubysong Sat 22-Nov-14 12:21:32

I've reported the water filter message

Agus Sat 22-Nov-14 12:38:02

I do know what you mean Jane. It's the sighing that makes me want to scream but eventually I do feel guilty as I know DH would look after me well without any sign of impatience.

Lots of honey and lemon drinks. Chicken soup and try your very best to be patient. This too shall pass grin

Jane10 Sat 22-Nov-14 13:22:48

Blimey what have I missed? All these deleted replies. I do feel guilty about how I feel. Makes it worse. I'm bound to catch it too. Oh well. That's life in sickness and in health and it could be much worse.

Elegran Sat 22-Nov-14 13:27:13

Put a hot water bottle in the spare bed. Dose him up with his tablets of choice and a hot lemon drink. Tell him that sleep is the best thing for him, and tuck him in with plenty of water, a big box of balsam tissues and a bin to throw them into, turn on the radio or CD player with soothing music and CLOSE THE DOOR (so that he can sleep undisturbed, of course)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Nov-14 13:31:24

Put a hot water bottle in the bed in the spare room, find book, and get in the bed yourself. Close the door firmly and let the bugger get on with it.

grannyactivist Sat 22-Nov-14 13:42:19

jingl grin grin
Jane worry ye not, the deleted stuff was just spam - not comments.

Jane10 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:00:47

He`s already taken himself off to the spare room to watch the Grand Prix. Don't think its going well- lots of swearing now as well as seal`s bark coughing, snivelling and sighing. He ate a huge lunch so may fall asleep. Sooner the better! Thanks all for your comments. I was just posting really to let off steam!

jollyg Sat 22-Nov-14 14:47:09

Prescribe a large hot toddy

FlicketyB Sat 22-Nov-14 15:28:58

You are not a bad person just a normal woman faced with one of the trials and tribulations of living with a member of the opposite sex! Hopefully he has attributes that make it all worth while. smile

DH used to travel a lot and coming home grumpy and ill was only one of the homecomings I faced; grumpy and like a bear with a sore head because the journey home was a nightmare, or the meeting had been difficult. On the other hand on occasions he came home happy and full of glee and we had sudden meals out or other treats.

pompa Sat 22-Nov-14 16:03:07

Jane10, "bad person", yes you Are !!!

Do you not realise just how serious MAN FLU is ???.

No man cab be expected to suffer from this debilitating virus without making everyone elses life a misery, it is one of the side effects.

You should be offering him hot lemon + whiskey, peeled grapes and pandering to his every need. How can he be expected to recover without your 24/7 attention.

It is not much to ask, most cases only last for a week or two provided they are looked after.

But remember that another side effect is that all your care will be forgotten once he recovers, unfortunate, but it is unavoidable.

glammanana Sat 22-Nov-14 16:16:41

Jane10 Huge lunch eh ? nothing wrong with his tummy then, mind they say you should feed a cold don't they ? Large hot toddy to send him off to sleep and he may feel better when he wakes up.

tiggypiro Sat 22-Nov-14 17:46:06

I think we all need to send our commiserations to Mrs Pompa (as well as Jane10)

pompa Sat 22-Nov-14 18:49:09

Mrs. P may well need your support, I am sniffing away atm, could be the start of the dreaded MF.

annsixty Sat 22-Nov-14 19:14:31

Leave a cold alone and it will last for a week,treat it and it will be gone in 7days.

feetlebaum Sat 22-Nov-14 19:44:03

I am sure I have read that the 'cold' is no longer infectious once the symptoms appear...