Gransnet forums

AIBU

I know I`m being unreasonable but I cant help it!!

(43 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 22-Nov-14 11:39:00

DH has a cold. He`s been away and I was so much looking forward to seeing him again. However, the miserably moaning creature that has returned is driving me nuts. he has turned our house into a sort of super heated germ factory as he coughs extremely loudly and snuffles revoltingly everywhere. The sighing and sorrowful looks make it worse. I got him every cough/cold remedy known to man but he wont take them. Somehow he`s so catastrophically sorry for himself it makes me long for him to go away again asap. I know. I`m a bad person..........blush

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Nov-14 20:07:03

I think they've changed their minds about that now. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 22-Nov-14 20:07:59

That hmm was aimed at the "experts".

pompa Sat 22-Nov-14 21:03:43

FYI, I am an ex-pert --- that is I used to be pert grin

Deedaa Sat 22-Nov-14 22:06:40

My DH is properly ill with a serious illness and coping with it very well considering, but I still find the sighing SO ANNOYING! I know the poor thing can't help it and I would be just as bad if it was me but ..................

Mustn't be too rude about Man Flu though, SiL had it last year (we thought) and is still being treated for the serious heart and kidney problems it has left him with. DD will probably never live it down!

kittylester Sun 23-Nov-14 06:35:13

(((Hugs))) Deedaa - that must be really hard.

Jane10 Sun 23-Nov-14 10:31:58

My sister`s partner was felled by Bird Flu earlier this year. He ended up being flown to Leicester to be put on ECMO. Survival not necessarily expected. However, he did recover. He was youngish and in good health. The sort to sneer at flu jabs. He doesn't now!!

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 13:56:43

I have only just managed to get rid of my own little hypochondriac. I think part of the reason why I find it so hard to feel sympathetic is because I know that I have always had to carry on as normal, regardless of how awful I feel. He is not a helpful person. I had a mother who was very unsympathetic to illness and brought us up to stay in our rooms until we felt well enough to go back to school. Sometimes she even forgot to feed us at lunchtime, let alone keep our rooms warm and check our temperatures. So I know he thinks I am tougher than he is - but I'm not. I just learnt not to moan all the time! He however is only one step away from asking for his mother whenever he is ill. She is just as bad, but has managed to find an OH who pampers to her every whim. I am so jealous. I want one like that.

I don't suppose anyone out there would like to swap?

Nonu Sun 23-Nov-14 14:27:00

Sorry JANER, you can"t have mine, he is a KEEPER.

Laugh !!

Brendawymms Sun 23-Nov-14 15:29:12

Mine has had flu for the last four weeks, started with severe sweats and then headaches. He sleeps more and snores which gives him a sore throat. Am I allowed to forget it? NO. I know he is not himself but I also had four weeks of not feeling well, dizzy and unbalanced, probably same bug, but had to keep going, cooking, washing, taking dog for walks. He can't take the dog because it's " too cold". GP said its just a bug it will go please hurry up and do so.

Riverwalk Sun 23-Nov-14 15:31:35

I have only just managed to get rid of my own little hypochondriac. shock

JaneR what have you done with him?

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 16:28:19

He had to go back to school for an Ofsted inspection. You can imagine how popular being off for a week prior to the first day made him. grin

I waved him off in the morning, brilliantly concealing my glee and lightness of heart affter a week of hot toddies, tea-cake baking etc. (all with a sprained ankle and swollen knee of my own) only to hear a 'Hi Honey! I'm HOOOOOOME!' at lunchtime. shock

They had thrown him back again. He put his 'pathetic' face on and they let him off away matches against other schools. Bang went my chance to sit down in front of the tv for the first time in a week and watch something I liked!

ginny Sun 23-Nov-14 18:48:52

I had a knee replacement last Tuesday and DH has been quite good. However he has been doing a bit of decorating and there have been lots of groans and mumblings about backache and tiredness. Just ignoring him, just now my needs are greater than his.

loopylou Mon 24-Nov-14 08:47:14

Is interesting......when I had flu some years ago when we lived in huge farmhouse DH didn't come anywhere near me for 4 days, no tea or sympathy etc because he thought I'd 'rather be alone'! Remember crawling to bathroom because couldn't stand up.......... Very different when he has a cold, makes sure he 'shares' it with me and anyone else daft enough to get close!

Jane10 Mon 24-Nov-14 09:38:20

Guess what? I`ve got it now too!! DH has gone away again. Probably just as well. Maybe we`ll both be better by the weekend. Sure hope so

annodomini Mon 24-Nov-14 10:00:13

Bad luck, Jane10, though probably predictable. I hope you feel better soon. flowers and plenty of brew.

pompa Mon 24-Nov-14 13:11:14

Never mind Jane, it won't be man flu, so you will still be able to do all he normal chores.

flowers

janerowena Mon 24-Nov-14 13:25:59

Poor Jane10! Yes, that's pretty much what happens to me. FiL is excellent, why didn't DBH inherit his genes? DD is currently at home with flu and the two GCs all by herself. Been there, done that but I wish all men could be sent on a caring course or something. Some women, too. Because I wouldn't mind doing it at all if only it was reciprocated.