Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel sorry for myself?

(30 Posts)
rubylady Mon 01-Dec-14 01:23:19

I'm now six weeks since stopping smoking, which is brilliant, but after two courses of antibiotics, feeling terrible, I am now full of a cold and still feel awful. I just want to get on with Christmas things, seeing the town in lights, shopping, cleaning up etc. But feel lousy. And not getting any sympathy, help or even phone calls off anyone asking how I am off family who know I have been ill.

Marilyn quote " I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Surely if people want to be around you when well, they can at least call to see if you are ok when you are ill, or if live with you, make more than one cup of tea in three weeks?

Sorry for whinging, I am not a good patient.

Can my GNer friends help me feel a bit better? smile

Mishap Tue 02-Dec-14 11:19:53

Well done for sticking with it - it is difficult but will be worth it in the end.

You need some good comedy shows/films on the TV - a hearty laugh lifts the mood and clears the ancient tar from the chest!

Good luck - keep up the good work.

grannyactivist Tue 02-Dec-14 12:07:48

Rubylady, hope you're feeling a little better today. Take your mind off things for five minutes by watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvzidUAAcM

nannyfran Tue 02-Dec-14 14:13:56

Rubylady you have my sincere sympathy. I gave up over 20 years ago and it was like losing a dear friend for a while. It does get better and I now think it's one of the best things I ever did.
I hope your cold improves soon, that will make you feel more like doing things to take your mind off it.
Big hugs and good luck.

rubylady Thu 04-Dec-14 17:36:12

Hi all, thank you for your lovely messages. They have lifted my spirits and made me feel worthwhile again.

Rosesarered I don't have a DH/partner, I wish I did. I live with my 17 year old son who is wrapped up in himself and still finds time to argue with me even when I'm feeling this bad. That's why I am glad I have my doggie.

grannyactivist Thank you for the link, I have watched it now and it is really funny. I do think as women that we put pressure on ourselves so time to look after myself and worry about Christmas nearer the time. I do like to do it for myself even if the son is being a pain, I deserve a nice time.

nannyfran Well done with stopping smoking over 20 years ago. I am glad that you have stopped and now feel so much better. I looked up what I am going through and found a website called Quitters Flu with all these people who have gone/going through the same thing as I am so feel a bit better about it. Slowly but surely I'll be fine. Thank goodness for internet shopping!

flowers to all.