Gransnet forums

AIBU

Christmas presents

(65 Posts)
UnconventionalGran Mon 01-Dec-14 18:36:17

Up to now we have always spent c. £50 each on the 4 younger grandchildren and c. £25 each on the 4 older ones, who are all working. We also bought presents for our own children and their partners (8), usually about £25 each. We have run up credit card debt every year and it now has to stop. My husband and I have both been married before. My family are OK with this but my step-daughter is not happy about the fact that she and her husband are not getting a present this year and she doesn't know yet that we are cutting down on the cost of presents for her two children (both under 5). This will now be £20 each. Last year she posted a photo on Facebook showing their presents under the tree and without exaggeration the pile of presents was so big she had to post more than one view to display them all. Over the last couple of weeks she has been advertising some of their toys for sale on Facebook including a gift that we bought! I think you can see where this is going! Does anyone have any advice as to whether we should try to explain further why we just cannot afford to go on like this or does "never apologise, never explain" apply in this case? My instinct is to go with the latter but I have to consider my husband in this. We don't live near and since he told her about the situation about a month ago, she hasn't phoned him.

Nonu Wed 03-Dec-14 14:25:17

we do a secret santa for adults and then I wrap up things for G/c after asking parents what they want.

The secret Santa is a truly marvellous idea

a] saves having to trek round shops
b]saves on cost and people don"t get inundated with STUFF.

Nice to receive a little something, but really for us as a family, Christmas is being together, having nice food and generally having a jolly good old time !
tchsmiletchsmile

Soutra Wed 03-Dec-14 15:10:31

Hear hear!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 15:12:16

Gillybob grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 15:14:13

I like giving 'em nice things - adults and kids. It's Xmas.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 15:16:12

I bought DD a "blanket scarf" today. Not sure whether she'll put it round her neck/shoulders, or lie under it on the sofa. hmm

gillybob Wed 03-Dec-14 15:26:51

I like giving them nice things too jingl

After all (in the voice of Noddy Holder) IT'S CHRISTMAS tchsmile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 15:32:21

tchgrin

gillybob Wed 03-Dec-14 15:37:07

Going to Newcastle shopping with DH straight from work tomorrow. That should be a barrel of laughs He will be useful for carrying the bags but not much else. Like most men he doesn't "do" browsing. I will take the opportunity to point out the bottle of Daisy Dream perfume that I had better hope to find in my stocking. tchsmile

Nonnie Wed 03-Dec-14 16:33:04

As someone who always goes over the top at Christmas because it gives me pleasure to choose the things it may sound strange when I tell you that my adult children never say anything about things we bought them. Their memories are all about what we did together.

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 16:42:19

We spend rather a lot on our DD and DGD. We don't get into debt for it though as we put so much a month away each year to cover Christmas. tchsmile

Marmight Wed 03-Dec-14 17:16:48

I buy everyone what I think they would like; I don't spend exactly the same on each of them, life is too short to count. I don't think they sit there on Christmas day looking at each other's presents and counting the £'s. They are all usually more than happy with what they receive, and if they are not, then they don't say - I have obviously brought them up 'proper' tchwink . It's about the giving and the thought which is put into each present, not the receiving..........

Marelli Wed 03-Dec-14 17:24:06

gillybob - my sentiments, entirely! smile

MiniMouse Wed 03-Dec-14 17:50:49

Presents are bought for the DGCs, but for the DCs it's a small financial contribution and I make up a hamper of all sorts of bits and pieces, so that they have something to open on The Day. DCs have always said that they loved their stockings best when they were little, so this is the 'adult' version of that ( I don't mean adult as in X certificate tchblush ) - just everyday things, plus little treats that they can't afford to buy themselves.

Anne58 Wed 03-Dec-14 18:02:58

Is it only me who feels a bit uncomfortable with such phrases as "we like to spoil our GC's"?

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:10:32

No, it's not just you, phoenix...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:15:00

I don't think you spoil children by buying them nice things. You spoil them by too laid-back parenting.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:19:08

Actually, I think it's quite hard to spoil naturally nice kids. Especially when they've got naturally nice mums and dads.

Yeah alright! [finger down throat emoticon]

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:23:47

I suppose the phrase must mean just buying them nice things to some, then. After all, no grandparent would want to deliberately turn their GC into spoilt brats, would they?

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 18:34:32

I have a fridge magnet, bought by my DD, which says 'welcome to grandma's kitchen - children spoiled here'. I try not to though - well not TOO much.

Marelli Wed 03-Dec-14 18:35:13

My grandchildren (adult now) and my great-grandson (4), have never been 'spoiled' by anyone, though. When they were younger, their parents were hard-up (like we were when they were growing up). Now that things are a bit easier, we do what we can for them. It's appreciated so much and it means a lot to us, too. I don't see that as spoiling. smile

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 18:40:08

Well my DGD is a lovely, kind caring 14 year old (yes I know I would say that) but she is. She is thoughtful and sweet, despite a bit of spoiling from both sets of grandparents. smile

Elegran Wed 03-Dec-14 18:54:45

To me. "spoiling" means over-doing giving them nice things, it means showering them with so much that nothing comes as a welcome surprise. It also includes giving in if they throw a tantrum to get their own way when everyone else is inconvenienced, financially and socially, and not teaching them that other people have lives, and to say please and thank you, not demand and grab.

"Spoil" has the general meaning of turning something from good to - well, spoilt - and a spoilt child is one who could have been a good one.

That is not to say that they should never get presents, never be a bit indulged, always be told that they are in the wrong!

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:58:16

Yes, that's the meaning it has for me too, Elegran, but I can see that to some it means being extra-generous just for that one day (i.e. Christmas).

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Dec-14 19:07:57

Penelope Leach said something along the lines of - if you want to give a child something (or do something she asks you to) and it is a pleasure to do so, then you are not spoiling the child, but if you feel pressured by demanding behaviour or tantrums, then there is a risk of producing a spoilt child if you give in. Which agrees with what you said, Elegran. It means that giving your DGC something which you think they would like, and which you are comfortable with (whether in terms of price or anything else), can be simply a pleasure for both sides.

absent Wed 03-Dec-14 19:17:35

I never have the slightest idea of how much I have spent on individual Christmas presents but am certain that it varies from year to year and child to child. I do make sure that everyone has the same number of parcels to open and hope that what they find inside seems special and delightful.