Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people go up steps on the left.

(30 Posts)
crossstitchgill Wed 17-Dec-14 15:54:21

I always thought that in this country, as we drive on the left, we would go up and down steps, at the station for instance, on the left. I try to make a point of this but come across people going the other way and have to change route to accommodate them! Am I just being awkward?

Faye Wed 17-Dec-14 23:58:20

One thing I liked about working in London was everyone mostly kept, I thought it was to the left. It is so long ago I really do forget which side it was but it was at least to one side. Here in Oz they have no idea and stand in the middle not giving a thought to the person who wants to pass them. It drives me mad as everyone behind on the escalator has to slowly make their way up the escalator because one person won't stand to the left or right.

#very impatient from Australia tchgrin

granjo39 Thu 18-Dec-14 01:00:41

I think the majority of people are right handed and therefore hold onto the rail on the right hand side for safety reasons. That's my excuse anyway.grin

Anniebach Thu 18-Dec-14 10:20:58

Left for me , I am left handed and always want to reach out/ hold with my left hand

Tegan Thu 18-Dec-14 10:35:27

Being right handed I always hold on to the rail with my right hand [never thought to do otherwise]. Although I'd go with the flow if everyone else was going the other way.