Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to think that it is wrong that pregnancy is nowadays too often considered an illness?

(63 Posts)
Ana Wed 25-Feb-15 19:50:53

Well, it seems as though it's not a problem here in the UK either, and the only women I've heard of having 'elective cesarians' are in the media or high-flying business women who have to fit the birth in between meetings! grin

J52 Wed 25-Feb-15 19:46:24

33 years ago my employer would not let me work after 11 weeks prior to the birth, for H&S reasons.
It was an awful winter, so I was quite pleased. X

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 19:37:29

Mishap- not a problem here with the 'natives' - but seems quite common with expats. Same for ceasarians for no medical reason.

tanith Wed 25-Feb-15 19:30:47

I must say that young women now seem to want to work up to the last minute rather than finding ways not to work.. my grandson's Mum worked up till 2wks before his birth I really can't say I've seen evidence of this trend if I'm honest.

Agus Wed 25-Feb-15 19:11:36

I don't know anyone who described her pregnancy as an illness. Quite the opposite in fact as in, "I'm pregnant, not I'll"!

Ana Wed 25-Feb-15 18:57:21

Never heard of anyone expecting to be 'excused' from work because they're pregnant! Do GPs really hand out sick notes for such a reason? (Assuming no complications or debilitating sickness etc.)

Gracesgran Wed 25-Feb-15 18:55:44

I am not sure about anyone else but every younger person I know - and they are not always as young as we were - seems to work 'til they drop and then go back as soon as they can because they need to be earning. I am sure it varies quite a bit - as it did when we were having our children.

Iam64 Wed 25-Feb-15 18:47:20

Same here Mishap, the young women I know have all worked to their maternity leave. Sadly, as with many of our generation, they are all too aware of being under a microscope and desperate not to be seen as in any way "using" their pregnancy to avoid professional responsibilities.

Mishap Wed 25-Feb-15 18:37:00

I have not really come across this attitude, but have seen many women work as long as they can because of the family finances.

I am glad that there is full and careful medical supervision of mothers via ante- natal care to make quite sure that any potential problems are detected early and properly dealt with.

Is this something that particularly goes on where you are granjura? - I have not really come across it here.

Grannyknot Wed 25-Feb-15 18:35:42

What ...? (OP). Unless there is genuinely a medical reason, I am confused. I worked with my first pregnancy until eventually the boss said to me "Please stay at home from now on" grin - I must have been about 8 months pregnant. But I was fine! Work was close to home, sitting in an office. No problem.

janerowena Wed 25-Feb-15 18:34:53

Each case should be taken individually. 2nd baby - a breeze. 1st baby - I had constant sickness at any time of day, carpal tunnel syndrome, the bit that softens to let the baby out softened too early which made it impossible to walk, I have thankfully forgotten the rest. I would say that yes, I was ill throughout my entire pregnancy, right from when I threw up while on a Ferris wheel blush (I wasn't popular and was accused of being drunk) - something I usually love. Oh, and I fainted while out shopping. Three times.

My point is - if you were

continually sick for eight months
couldn't use your hands and had to sleep with them up above your head all night
kept fainting
were in constant pain when walking

You would be considered ill. But oh no, you are 'only' pregnant and aren't even allowed to take a pain killer or cold cure.

Anne58 Wed 25-Feb-15 18:30:08

When I was pregnant with DS2, although I was not "working " i.e. in paid employment, at the time, I still managed to take bales of hay out to the sheep and split logs for the woodburner.

I'm afraid that I have little time for those who play the "in my condition" card, although of course there are those who do genuinely need to take a life a bit easier due to certain health conditions or problems with previous pregnancies.

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 18:25:58

On an expat Forum here- so many young women expect to get a medical certificate to allow them not to work during pregnancy. Am I the only one who feels sad that pregnancy is so often seen as a 'problem and an illness'?

Of course this is the case for many, for all sorts of reasons- but really should not become the norm. Or???