Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think Government should say how it will save £12billion on welfare?

(131 Posts)
MamaCaz Thu 19-Mar-15 09:14:32

The Government has said that it plans to save a further £12 billion on the welfare bill, and that this will be from working-age claimants.
However, they either won't or can't say how they plan to do this. Now, given that two out of every three pounds of the total welfare spend goes to pensioners, how exactly can they do that without hitting pensioners?

Am I being sceptical / unreasonable in thinking that they must be planning to further raise the state pension age during the next parliament?
If what I found with Google is correct, approximately 600 000 people reach 65 each year, so a huge saving could be made there by withholding their state pensions for another year. I don't know exactly how much but if any other Gransnetters do, then please let me know.

I don't see how else they can do it without hitting pensioners.

durhamjen Mon 06-Apr-15 22:00:28

Here's an interesting idea. Ask your candidates what they think of Rupert Murdoch.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/06/election-british-politicians-rupert-murdoch

durhamjen Tue 07-Apr-15 11:28:38

Apparently the NHS is being talked about a lot in the papers today.
A good selection of letters about paying for the NHS from the Guardian today.

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/06/finding-political-will-maintain-health-nhs

The one comparing the GNP of various nations is interesting.

durhamjen Tue 07-Apr-15 21:27:39

Hope the Tories are not going to do more of this if they get in.

t.co/SoLJFRSrrt

Labour will repeal the bedroom tax.

durhamjen Wed 08-Apr-15 00:41:39

The public do not want the NHS to be cut.

www.pharmatimes.com/Article/15-04-06/UK_public_support_raising_taxes_to_fund_NHS.aspx

In fact most would not mind paying higher taxes to fund the NHS. So they'd better not give tax cuts to his friends, as it will not get them any votes.

JessM Wed 08-Apr-15 12:22:15

Alarmed to see the current budget for next few years (the one that is going to fall short by several £000,000,000s already assumes that 2-4% efficiency savings will be found. So likely it will fall short by more 000s )
When I worked in the NHS in the 1980s we were making efficiency savings. Been at it ever since. Achieving less than 1% a year at the moment.
Like most public services, most of the cost is salaries. I can't see how this can be done. (yes there is a lot spent on agency staff, but they are not doing this because they want to).
e.g. my neighbour was a consultant in obs/gyn. He was Romanian. He has gone to work in Australia where he will earn a lot more money. Local health trust struggling to recruit enough qualified obs/gyn doctors...