Gransnet forums

AIBU

advertising nonsense "your hair matures from root to tip"

(30 Posts)
JessM Sat 04-Apr-15 22:20:17

AIBU to think that this kind of phrase, being used on the TV to advertise hair products for older women, is complete and utter nonsense.
Yes the tips of your hair are older than the roots. But "matures" - come off it. Do the young folk in the advertising agency really think we are taken in by such meaningless statements?

Ana Sun 05-Apr-15 16:51:20

Yes, that's a silly assumption! The only incomprehensible thing is that they expect us to actually buy the stuff they're advertising.

annodomini Sun 05-Apr-15 17:09:05

Don't tell me that those hair models in the ads are really tossing their own manes! They all wear extensions so that they can change style from day to day.

FlicketyB Mon 06-Apr-15 07:17:24

If not wigs!

JessM Mon 06-Apr-15 07:48:41

Exactly Flickeyb all the science-y things they say are very annoying like: "in tests 8/10 women noticed improved *** "
Perfect punctuation for the use of the expletive on GN I think Elegran
As Ben Goldacre pointed out in Bad Science the cosmetic industry is full of this science-y *** and never shares the results of any actual research. They are very lightly regulated - as long as their products are not toxic or contaminated they get away with claiming all kinds of things.
e.g. you are not allowed to claim that a food product is "healthy" unless there is a significant body of scientific evidence to back that claim. Whereas they can claim that a beauty product is "rejuvenating for your skin" etc etc etc and nobody cares.
I don't think they are "admen" any more - our niece works in the industry - lots of young female arts graduates.
It might have been ad ad for Elvive "fibrology" - with its "patented technology"
Maybe they mean "You hair deteriorates from root to tip so you really need to put our product on it granny." - but they are trying to hard not to sound negative that they came up with "matures"