Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this is bonkers?

(107 Posts)
Pittcity Mon 13-Apr-15 11:43:32

65 year old pregnant with quadruplets!!

whenim64 Wed 15-Apr-15 10:06:48

Both my DDs had IVF, 4 and 7 years ago. Two implanted eggs was the limit and they were advised that they could just have one, but chances of pregnancy would be significantly better if two of the highest grade fertilised eggs were implanted. The rest could be frozen. Thankfully, both DDs had twins, but not without complications. The massive course of hormones taken in the run up to harvesting and implanting eggs can be overwhelming for the body. The thought of such a pregnancy with quads would frighten me - they're unlikely to get to full term and could need intensive care for weeks and months. I hope this doesn't end in tragedy.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Apr-15 10:13:18

Ha I did a radio interview on this on Monday evening (as an 'older' mother myself. Yet an entire generation younger than this woman at time of giving birth.) I understand the burning desire to be a mother only too well - but she already has 13 kids. It's entirely selfish.

GrannyTwice Wed 15-Apr-15 10:28:04

Actually when I think it's already a tragedy. These children if they survive are going to be hawked round the media circus for her to raise the money to bring them up. What sort of damage is that going to do?

GrannyTwice Wed 15-Apr-15 10:29:45

I read today that the treatment was carried out in the Ukraine

JessM Thu 16-Apr-15 18:48:33

Glad it turned out Ok in your family whenim64 smile
Elegran I think there are different regs and recommendations in different countries. We have had guidance from the :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Fertilisation_and_Embryology_Authority

on such matters in this country, fortunately.

apricot Thu 16-Apr-15 19:36:33

The chances of any of these babies surviving must be almost nil.
I wonder how she afforded the treatment and how she will pay for the delivery and intensive care, if it ever gets that far? Do they have the gutter press in Germany, to pay for her story?