Gransnet forums

AIBU

School shoes

(94 Posts)
Gran11 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:07:59

Both my 2 youngest gran Kids year 7&8 wear these plimsolls / daps as school shoes they are only £4 a pair but should I tell my daughter to get them new leather school shoes or say the shoe zone plimsolls are a good idea ?

tanith Wed 10-Jun-15 13:12:00

Its probably better for them to have leather school shoes but maybe your daughter can't afford to buy them. A lot of children I see wear designer plimsolls like Vans nowadays but they are expensive and some schools ban them as they are like trainers which aren't allowed.
Could you help your daughter out maybe if cost is the issue?

downtoearth Wed 10-Jun-15 13:20:06

Having been through these exact battles with resident teenage GD,I would say check and see if these are allowed,my GD school changed to an academy 3 years ago and overnight things where tightened up with regard to uniform,many GD storms and rebellion have occurred in the last 3 years particularly as GD has an expensive trainer habit (birthdays etc) and a strong streak of rebellion in her check first and nip it in the bud if not while still young enough to be little fish in big pond,once they feel their feet ( no pun intended) may be a lost cause ..

Elegran Wed 10-Jun-15 13:24:29

Did you post about Shoe Zone plimsolls a little while ago, Gran11 ? There was a thread from someone whose son wouldn't wear anything except the cheapest Shoe Zones, while his sister wouldn't wear anything except expensive trainers. The poster wanted to know whether she was wrong to spend so much on one child and so little on another.

HildaW Wed 10-Jun-15 13:29:16

I know I'm a proper old cynic...but I smell something fishy here...and its not the cheap shoes!

Gran11 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:42:19

The school has a basic but strict uniform policy my granddaughter wears the vans wich are just expensive plimsolls In my opinion but see a lot of black plimsolls trainers or boots when I sometimes pick them up from school

loopylou Wed 10-Jun-15 13:46:24

Why don't you just look at the school uniform policy to find out? Quite honestly if your daughter isn't fussed then I wouldn't worry confused

Ana Wed 10-Jun-15 13:47:45

Yes, definitely déja vu...

downtoearth Wed 10-Jun-15 13:57:53

confused

Mishap Wed 10-Jun-15 14:19:40

Hmmmmm.

Gran11 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:38:46

What hummmmmmconfused

Elegran Wed 10-Jun-15 14:46:18

This hmmmmm - The last time round it was someone's son who wored the cheapy plimsolls and their daughter who liked Vans.

Why not ask the children's mother what the school policy is, and (if she was the poster who asked last time) what answers she got from the grans on here?

As I remember it, she continued to post variations on her original question for a long time, so she has plenty of answers to choose from. For such a long time, in fact, that it became obvious to everyone that she wasn't really interested in solving the problem.

soontobe Wed 10-Jun-15 15:13:28

Even I remember.
But if I remember correctly, the poster wasnt breaking any rules. So there were numerous threads.

In that case, welcome back I suppose. Whatever floats your boat.

If I also remember correctly, the poster only stopped posting after I wrote a long list of personal attributes the op may have. And also, after others got bored and stopped posting after about 3 threads full of posts.

trisher Wed 10-Jun-15 15:22:55

Mm I remember the OP as well. We managed I think to divert it into what we called gym shoes when we were at school. So in that spirit-when did black plimsolls first become available? when I was young we only had white ones and there was some awful stuff you painted on to clean them (Blanco?)

soontobe Wed 10-Jun-15 15:28:10

I can never see the points of diversions myself.
Any poster, including an op, can go straight back to topic.
And I only think an op doesnt repost because they have run out of things to say.
But if you think it will work...

I had black plimsoles in the 60s

soontobe Wed 10-Jun-15 15:30:55

Should also add that this type of poster may claim "victory" by how many posts they receive. So diverting is then counter - productive.

Plus, is diverting against site rules?

Hey ho. I cant remember being offered the choice of white plimsoles. Black ones all the way.

hildajenniJ Wed 10-Jun-15 15:40:09

I remember the op too. It seemed to go on for ages. I had to have the white plimsolls. It was all the school allowed. Black ones were available but we we not allowed them.

Ana Wed 10-Jun-15 16:01:59

Do stop going on about 'Rules' soontobe. No one's suggested any have been broken...hmm

annodomini Wed 10-Jun-15 16:02:33

Déja vu! Thought we'd seen the back of this topic. Let's not give it any more exposure.

We had black plimsoles for PE in the 40s and 50s either lace-up or elastic fronted ones. To wear such things to walk to school would have been disastrous, especially in winter.

soontobe Wed 10-Jun-15 16:07:39

I will talk about rules if and whenever I want to.

Ana Wed 10-Jun-15 16:10:57

But why?

soontobe Wed 10-Jun-15 16:16:08

Why not?
They are sometimes relevant and topical.

soontobe Wed 10-Jun-15 16:16:48

As in this case.

Ana Wed 10-Jun-15 16:21:33

Link to previous thread.

www.gransnet.com/forums/education/a1213721-School-shoes

Soutra Wed 10-Jun-15 16:39:54

Feel free to talk about rules if you wish Soontobe, but it might turn out to be a soliloquyhmm

As to the topic of this thread. I fear shock+moon=yawn