Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being mean?

(32 Posts)
NanKate Fri 31-Jul-15 13:25:22

I am shortly off to have my 6 weekly cut and blow dry which costs about £45.00. It's a bit pricey in this neck of the woods and I don't go to the posh hairdressers who charge much more.

I give the hairdresser £2.50 tip I wonder if that is a bit mean ? ?

ginny Fri 31-Jul-15 13:32:36

If it is then I am even meaner. There is no obligation to give a tip to anyone. I give if I think someone has gone above or beyond their call of duty.

granjura Fri 31-Jul-15 13:38:35

Wow- mine here is 48 Swiss Francs- so much cheaper (on exchange rate is would be about 65)- so I just round up and give her a 50 CHF note.

Greenfinch Fri 31-Jul-15 13:45:55

I only have a dry cut which costs £10.50 at an out-of -town hairdressers so I give £1 tip.

downtoearth Fri 31-Jul-15 13:49:44

I have a dry cut every 3 weeks run £6,hilites with foils every 9 weeks £35, which includes cut and blow dry. I get a lovely cut have used this ordinary hairdressers since we moved to Norfolk 7 years ago was a lucky find straight away, a cut and blow dry costs £16. I give £1 tip for the cut and £2 for the hilites.....I also get a cuppa when I have my highlites done.

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-15 14:08:54

I don't give a tip every time but give them a bit extra at Christmas.

Eloethan Fri 31-Jul-15 14:24:20

I usually give 10% of the bill as a tip. If the owner does my hair, though, I don't give anything. If a junior shampoos my hair, I usually give £1-2.

Lona Fri 31-Jul-15 14:33:30

At the moment my cut and blow costs £46, and I give her £5 tip because my hair is hard work (and so am I)! grin

ninathenana Fri 31-Jul-15 15:04:29

Wow ! I'm glad I don't live where some of you do.
I pay £10 for a wet cut. I don't have a blow dry. I don't tip her every time (same hairdresser for 15-20 yrs.) But I give her double at Christmas.

Matella Fri 31-Jul-15 15:05:02

I tend to give anything from £2 to £4 tip depending on what coins I have in my purse. Mine costs between £45 and £65 every 8 weeks for highlights and cut and blow dry. I always give £5 at Christmas. The girl that does my hair is young and saving up to move to her own flat and delights in telling me how much she has saved each time. I know she saves her tips.

Clematisa Fri 31-Jul-15 15:11:44

I give whatever is change in my purse - usually £1 - £2 mine costs £27 for cut and blow-dry every 5 weeks not including the tip.

Greyduster Fri 31-Jul-15 15:26:32

My hairdresser (for thirty plus years) charges just under £16 for a cut and blow dry and I give her £20 because she's always willing to fit me in at short notice when I haven't had time to make an appointment, even when she's busy.

Teetime Fri 31-Jul-15 15:29:50

I don't tip my current hairdresser as she is the owner of the establishment. I pay £55 every month for cut, colour and blow dry.

heavenknows Fri 31-Jul-15 15:38:16

I pay £30 for colour and cut, and usually tip £5.

kassi Fri 31-Jul-15 15:42:48

I pay £40 for highlights, cut and blow dry. I always tip £5.

Alea Fri 31-Jul-15 16:06:07

I'd rather not say what I pay, but yesterday I made a major decision and instead of a root retouch to hide the grey in my sort of not natural blonde, I went for dark ash blonde lowlights cut through with bleached almost white highlights with a pearl toner over the lot.
First step on my "glad to be grey" journey. (Ssh it was just into 3 figures sad

Elegran Fri 31-Jul-15 16:10:14

I must be meaner than any of you. I have not visited a hairdresser for years, neither did OH. I bought a Phillips electric hair clipper to cut his hair, found that the longest cut was long enough for my hair, and have never looked back. I trim it every two weeks or so - free.

Lona Fri 31-Jul-15 16:13:53

I love the colour of my hair now that I don't have highlights Alea. It's going white in a very highlighted way IYSWIM, and I get complimented on the colour! wink
Saves a fortune!

AshTree Fri 31-Jul-15 16:36:20

I pay £27 for a cut and blow dry and usually give a £2 tip. I used to use a home hairdresser, who was a lot cheaper and she was very good, but once when I needed it done at short notice I went to the salon up the road. I realised how much I'd been missing the hair wash and massage, so I've been going there ever since!

TerriBull Fri 31-Jul-15 17:10:32

On average I go to the hairdressers 3 to 4 times a year and I have the full works - base colour on roots, half head of high lights, cut and blow dry. It costs roughly £120. I usually give a £5 tip which is probably not enough but it is quite an expense not that I begrudge the cost because whilst I am adept at doing my roots and cutting my fringe in between visits I don't have the expertise to do the rest myself.

NanaDenise Fri 31-Jul-15 17:17:26

Gosh TerriBull, I thought I was the only one to have to pay £100 ish for cut, colour and blowdry. I can get a cut for less in town, but by the time I have paid for parking etc., it isnt that much cheaper.

Luckygirl Fri 31-Jul-15 17:21:50

I have never ever given a tip in a hairdressers. So I am a lot meaner!

Leticia Fri 31-Jul-15 17:24:50

I never tip hairdressers. I hate tipping and think it outdated.

vampirequeen Fri 31-Jul-15 17:27:27

I go for a dry cut every six weeks or so. I've never had a perm or dyed my hair. Totally mean...I never tip.

TerriBull Fri 31-Jul-15 17:27:55

Yes I know ND it's shocking blush I think it's having a base colour put on that bumps it all up - I don't have any other extravagant treatments like facials or massages and I definitely don't take the car in, happily I can walk, so given the hours I'm there that would make it even more expensive. If it's rainy I make my husband drive in and pick me up