Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being mean?

(33 Posts)
NanKate Fri 31-Jul-15 13:25:22

I am shortly off to have my 6 weekly cut and blow dry which costs about £45.00. It's a bit pricey in this neck of the woods and I don't go to the posh hairdressers who charge much more.

I give the hairdresser £2.50 tip I wonder if that is a bit mean ? ?

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jul-15 17:38:29

£19 for a cut and blow dry every 5 or 6 weeks.
£45 for cut/blowdry/base colour and foils every 3rd visit, about 4 months.

When I retired 6 years ago I started to colour at home and it was very successful but I got tired of the 'sameness'.
So at present the hairdresser is on the job and I have quite funky foils/meshes.

I rarely pay for it out of my purse, dh knows I just love gift vouchers. Usually tip £2 and do feel a bit stingy.

numberplease Fri 31-Jul-15 17:51:37

I very rarely tip anyone. I go very rarely to the hairdressers anyway, can`t afford it too often. I usually have a cut and a perm, and if I go on pensioners day it costs £25. My daughter colours it for me.

Purpledaffodil Fri 31-Jul-15 18:56:10

Had colour, highlights, cut and blow dry today and it cost £95 so I only rounded up to £100. Hate tipping as feel either mean or over generous. Today I felt mean, but this is a very ordinary hairdressers and the price has suddenly rocketed. Should have questioned but felt too awkward.

harrigran Fri 31-Jul-15 18:58:00

I have a hairdresser that comes to my home, she is extremely reasonable at £40 for colour and I give her £5 tip but give her £20 at the last treatment before Christmas. I reckon that as I am using my shampoo and conditioner and electricity then the tip is adequate.

rosesarered Fri 31-Jul-15 19:29:17

A dry cut is about £14 which I have every six weeks or so.Highlights cost about £45 without a trim, I only have this done twice a year, it seems ok with that.I always tip 10% or slightly more.

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:15:28

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

downtoearth Fri 31-Jul-15 21:29:13

reported