Gransnet forums

AIBU

Personal cleanliness

(167 Posts)
NanKate Tue 06-Oct-15 07:35:57

On Sunday we went to a NT property for a lovely walk through the grounds to look at the trees beginning to turn, it was wonderful.

We stopped at the cafe for coffee and cake. The young man serving us was very pleasant and polite but when I looked down I could see he had dirty finger nails. It made me feel sick when he touched the cup. I must be fair he looked clean and had clean hands, but those nails yuk !

I filled in the comment form and handed it in before I left. No doubt I will get the same sort of washy washy reply from the NT as I did last time I made a complaint.

loopylou Tue 06-Oct-15 17:06:37

jenn nothing better, I'm sure he's not going to give you anything!

Greyduster Tue 06-Oct-15 20:41:14

I'm obsessive about hand washing during cooking and prior to eating anything at home. When I'm out fishing, it all goes out the window. I have been known, after releasing a just caught fish, to wipe my hands down my muddy trousers to get the slime off, then stop for lunch and eat a sandwich without giving hands a thought, and down the hatch! DH says it's only a matter of time before it catches up with me! I always keep hand cleaning gel in my bag, but rarely think about using it. I am as particular as those of you above about food handling and cleanliness in public eating places, though.

Indinana Tue 06-Oct-15 20:54:46

No Anniebach I wasn't expecting a round of applause. Why are you so nasty?

Indinana Tue 06-Oct-15 20:57:27

And if you read my post again, you'll see that I didn't speak 'loudly', but 'quite loudly', i.e. loud enough for him to hear above the usual clamour and noise of a busy restaurant, and to stop what he was about to do - slice a piece of cake with that dirty knife.

Indinana Tue 06-Oct-15 21:02:25

And Ab, why did you feel the need to berate me publicly? You seem quite pleased to be embarrassing me when a quiet word, i.e. via a pm, would have sufficed? Not a nice thing to do.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:03:57

And that Anya called me a numpty! shock

wink

Indinana Tue 06-Oct-15 21:17:06

grin

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-15 21:24:44

Indiana. I wasn't being nasty, I questioned why you had the need to repremand the boy in a voice loud enough for others to hear , he did wrong but surely didn't deserve to be humiliated ,

Ana Tue 06-Oct-15 21:27:43

Why the did you hope for applause? then, *Anniebach? Don't you think that was unnecessary?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:28:52

He was hardly humiliated. hmm

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-15 21:30:44

Indiana, I do not PM people to extend criticism , it has been done to me and I think it cowardly . I am sorry you are upset but can you not see - you felt I was critising you and said I should have done it discretely, this is what I thought you should have done to the boy

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-15 21:34:45

Yes Ana, it was unecessary , I was wrong to say it , but I still say publicly chastising the boy was unkind

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-15 21:36:07

Were you there jingle? Rarely do young people laughter off a public ticking off

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:37:46

She could hardly lean over, pull the lad to her, and whisper in his ear. Poor boy might have died of fright.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:40:06

Oh for flip's sake! Why have we got to go all soft about a young feller who needed pulling up short? He'll get over it. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:40:56

Or has she marked him emotionally for life?

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-15 21:42:30

Jingle, we haven't gone all soft, I may be accused of it but not we

Matella Tue 06-Oct-15 21:46:57

This is just something I have a thing about. I hate touching the underside of the chair as I pull it in to sit down when I go out for dinner. I wash my hands before I eat then I use tissues to open the cloakroom door and to pull in my seat! As you can tell I don't often go to places where I get my seat pushed in for me. Yuk, all those hands under the seat.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:49:42

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one with OCD tendencies. Although even I hadn't thought of that one. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 21:52:00

You need exposure therapy. Next time pull in your chair and then make yourself lick your fingers where you touched the chair. Do it enough times and that should be the end of that.

Elegran Tue 06-Oct-15 21:58:40

But you won't be allowed back into that restaurant ever again.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 22:02:23

You would do it surreptitiously!

Matella Tue 06-Oct-15 22:04:56

Arghhhhh!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 22:08:54

You want this therapy or not?! hmm

wink

Indinana Tue 06-Oct-15 22:11:31

Ab just for the record, I am not upset. I am bewildered that you felt the need to attack me.

I did not say that I felt you 'should' have 'criticised' me discreetly. What I said was why did you feel the need to berate me publicly? You seem quite pleased to be embarrassing me when a quiet word, i.e. via a pm, would have sufficed? Not a nice thing to do. I thought you would have realised that I was paraphrasing your comment to me. In other words, it was you who were the first to suggest I should have had a discreet word in the boy's ear (which would have involved either leaning over the counter and pulling at his ear, as suggested by jingl, or me climbing over the counter to get to him) and I merely turned this suggestion back on you.