Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hermes delivery

(56 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 13:20:52

I am soooo angry that I'm tearful.
A private car driver has just come to my door with a parcel I'd ordered. I'd had an e-mail from Hermes about the delivery.
He banged the glass in the front door rather than use the knocker. I commented on this saying he was lucky I'd heard him. He then refused to give me the parcel shockshock went back to his car. I apologised though I didn't think I had cause to. "No, too late now. I'm sending it back" Got in and drove off.
I immediately got on the phone and sorted it but I am still fuming!!!

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 10:46:51

Cor blimey Alea remind me not to tangle with you! grin Can I be your bff instead?
what you say is true, but there are a lot of strange people out there, a lot of them driving delivery vans. only rarely encounter a pleasant one now and again, usually they just thrust the machine to sign at me, grunt, or are foreign and don't seem to have any English.

Alea Thu 05-Nov-15 10:51:22

Sorry roses!!!!! My spleen was being vented at the Hermes courier, not you!!
I quite liked my turn of phrase in the heat of the moment, maybe nina would like to quote me(especially the burning tar one!!!) grin
It is awful how we have to pussyfoot round jobsworths though. I'm not saying we should all channel our inner Audrey fforbes-Hamilton all the time , although that would be fun hmm, but what did happen to doing the job you are paid to do?

ninathenana Thu 05-Nov-15 11:47:57

I honestly I didn't "let fly"
The conversation was as follows
Me, calmly "Your lucky I heard you, it would have been easier to use the knocker"
Him "Carry on like that, and I won't give it to you"
Me "It was just a comment"
Him " No, too late I'm sending it back"
Me "Well sorry if.......
With that he got in the car and drove off.
The company I ordered from have been as helpful as they can. They've spoken to Hermes and are trying to get another courier company to make the delivery. As far as their concerned it's his word against mine.

Indinana Thu 05-Nov-15 13:16:07

The company I ordered from have been as helpful as they can. They've spoken to Hermes and are trying to get another courier company to make the delivery. As far as their concerned it's his word against mine.

Well if they're not sure whose word to believe, I would suggest that they look at the very long litany of complaints on the myhermes facebook page. Not a company I would be inclined to use if I was in business.
Having said that, the Hermes delivery driver who brought a parcel of wool for me on Monday was very pleasant. I have no complaints about her, but their tracking system leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, and it did seem to take them an awfully long time to get it to me after Deramores had notified me that it had left their warehouse.

Alea Thu 05-Nov-15 13:22:06

Next time, try the boiling tar, nona!
What a bloody cheek!
Whose name on the package? Yours. End of.
Threaten legal action for withholding your property.

merlotgran Thu 05-Nov-15 17:58:28

This sounds like a story for the Daily Mail, nina

I'm sure they'd love it grin

vampirequeen Thu 05-Nov-15 19:20:49

If he refuses to hand it to you even though he knows it's yours then surely that's theft. He's retaining your property unlawfully.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-Nov-15 19:36:37

That is just so bad. He was bullying you. You have to take this further. You could try a newspaper. He should be brought to book for that.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-Nov-15 19:39:31

That is just so bad. He was bullying you. You have to take this further. You could try a newspaper. He should be brought to book for that.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-Nov-15 19:40:48

Sorry. I thought the first one didn't post.

Elrel Thu 05-Nov-15 19:46:51

Solicitor's advice, even informal, may be useful, do wehave any willing to comment?

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 19:52:01

That's taking things too far! let it go, but try to find companies that do not use Hermes.Life is too short for litigation.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Nov-15 19:59:14

My two most recent experiences.

1) a coffee machine. Left 'in the porch'. We don't have a porch. Anyway it wasn't on the front step so we assumed it had been stolen. We found it ten (rainy) days later down the side of the house - it had been thrown over an 8 foot gate to land on concrete.

2) a parcel left, last week, "in a secure location". Which turned out to be the fetid, stinking dustbin. On bin day.

Marvellous

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 20:28:33

Was this Hermes?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Nov-15 20:42:39

It was indeed

rosesarered Thu 05-Nov-15 21:02:20

I'm not sure, but is it possible to check Amazon or any other company, and ask if they use Hermes?I think, after these stories, that I shall try and find out.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-Nov-15 21:11:17

Well, I'm wondering now. I ordered a game for DGS for Xmas from Amazon, and today DH just happened to see something cardboard showing through the top of our heather bank. It was the game. The delivery man must have literally thrown it over the gate, and the heather bank is quite a distance from the gate! We could so easily have not seen it. I'm wondering if that was Hermes.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Nov-15 21:16:33

To be fair - we had a non Hermes delivery person who didn't think to tell us they had left our (unexpected - it was a gift) parcel under the car. Chocolates aren't so tasty when you have driven over them

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Nov-15 21:18:04

And I had another parcel this week which didn't turn up. Emailed the company to ask about it and they said it had been delivered two days earlier c/o someone down the road. Although no one thought to tell me that.

Elrel Thu 05-Nov-15 23:37:54

Watchdog on BBC1 or the Radio 4 consumer programme which, once it gets its teeth into something, just doesn't let go!

Pittcity Fri 06-Nov-15 07:58:18

We can have parcels delivered to our local co op and a nearby newsagents has those parcel lockers outside. Has anyone tried using these methods?
I always use Click and Collect if we have an outlet nearby as you can collect when convenient and the item should have been looked after.

merlotgran Fri 06-Nov-15 10:03:29

I've just had a conversation with a Hermes delivery man on his mobile. He was asking for directions to our address. He mentioned the name of the farm between us and the village and I told him to drive past the entrance to that farm as we are the next turning on the right.

He then argued with me about the location of the farm in question. He was obviously of the opinion I don't have a clue where I live!

I politely pointed out (I was struggling with this) that I had lived on that farm for many years and had brought up my three children there as my husband was the manager. Would he like me to pass the phone to said husband as he would then be in a safe pair of (male) hands and wouldn't spend the rest of the day driving round in circles?

GAH!!!

Elrel Fri 06-Nov-15 10:17:25

Hermes wasn't the God of mischief was he?!

Elrel Fri 06-Nov-15 10:20:21

The R4 consumer affairs programme I meant was You and Yours.

Elrel Fri 06-Nov-15 10:25:39

Rosesarered - I just meant to know the legal rights involved, not to set off for the High Court or, more likely, the Circumlocution Office!