Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rich In Laws

(141 Posts)
soapsoanelive Mon 29-Feb-16 20:35:47

Help: my daughter fell in love with the son of a self made (200 million pound turnover) millionaire. They fell in love when they were sixteen and it never crossed my mind how complicated that legacy would be in the future.

It did start with the wedding: I thought it was funny that although we had put half towards (one) of the venues, paid for the flowers and (one) of the modes of transport, and paid for the dress, that, apparently, I heard his parents had spent £50,000. It didn't look that expensive, but then, you never know. My partner did the photography and I made a book, a fairy tale of their romance which culminated in their meeting at Glastonbury. I thought how beautiful.

It was sad that apparently when my new son in law took pics of me and my partner and my daughter that for some reason they were overexposed while the photos of his mum and dad bloomed out. At the time it didn't occur to me that the reason rich people are rich is not because they are inherently superior it's that they don't give credit fairly or equally. It didn't occur to me that my new son in law was under massive pressure from his parents.

I began to realise as time went on that they weren't interested in me, they wanted my daughter but it wasn't just that they wanted to alienate her from me. They were always nice: during my daughter's and their son's courtship they'd taken them on holiday, going around the world, I bought little presents, like pocket tour guides for their whole family, thinking how lovely, wanting to participate. When they were in their post graduate time they offered to buy a flat that they could live in: wow I thought, how wonderful, how lovely. When it came to their marriage, before the marriage they said that they wanted to buy a property for them: it would be their gift, a living legacy. They bought a half a million pound house for them: at the time I thought, wow, this is amazing.

But it really isn't amazing. Although my daughter and my son in law are brilliant, clever and accomplished and have good jobs the house that thy've lived in for the past six years still belongs to the company. It hasn't been given to them (yet) and they're kind of living rent free in a property that his mother has controlled since they moved in: repairs, decorating, interior design and furnishing are all 'don't worry yourselves about that: we'll get someone in to do that'. It's a kind of weird control: they don't own the house and the big holidays are all determined by his parents. So they aren't independent and it doesn't look as if they'll ever be independent unless they stand up to his parents. I have gone up to see them every week since my grandson was born, he's now four and it's been so lonely for me: his parents have paid for an expensive nursery (so they can both go back to work-it seemed 'kind' but now I think it's about control). They were both studying for their phds: all was smooth and calm when my son in law completed his: when it came to my daughter completing hers my sister in law decided that urgent house repairs (including scaffolding) needed to be done, decorating re carpettting etc. This has caused real problems between me and my daughter as it seems that it can't be discussed fairly. When she was finishing her phd I helped her with her footnotes and bibliography. It was a massive job and she said 'let's meet up after the viva, just you and I'. We were supposed to meet the following Sunday. What actually happened was that I didn't hear from my daughter until a text message alerting me to the fact that his parents would also be there. It was weird and arriving to meet them I felt that they were trying to prevent us from being alone. My daughter loves her husband with all her heart but actually, he's a brat (very responsible and upright and conforming but terrified of his parents and jealous of my relationship with my daughter because his parents are so invasive). My relationship with my daughter is now false and hypocritical: I love them but I hate the way they're being made to live. I've tried to raise this with my daughter but we always fall out.

Last week was the final straw: I'd gone over (an hour each way on the train plus bus rides, and nursery pick up, as you do). My daughter had put together a hamper for mother's day. I was surprised and pleased until I realised that the mother's day hamper had been put together to buy me off- they were all going skiing the following week and noone had bothered to let me know in advance, even though they'd known for a couple of months. I've always had a strong and direct relationship with my daughter but little by little her husband's family are prioritising their lives (and not needing to demean themselves by offering me the courtesy of letting me know that they wanted to go skiing. I wouldn't have minded: I don't mind but it's the exclusion and the sneakiness that's driving a wedge between my daughter. They have two other children (a daughter who is incredibly bright and who has had a really wild few years before 'settling down' with another millionaire's son (who'd caused her major problems in the past). The other son has learning difficulties and has a girlfriend who also has learning difficulties: he's been posting on facebook about how sad he is because he isn't allowed to take his girlfriend skiing. It's like my relationship is like a servant: a function and I am not permitted to think that our past: the way I buy, cook, think, live bears no relation to the life they live. The problem is it isn't their choice it's defined for them by his parents.

Help! What can I do to make this better?

Alea Tue 01-Mar-16 11:08:48

waited outside the shop for ten minutes when my daughter, son in law and my grandson ran out of the shop and said, we need to hurry, 'mum and dad' are on their way. So we all run down to meet super nan(?) and grandad. As soon as we met, the nan, my sister in law (?) ran off to go to the loo: I wonder now if she really knows how much distress she causes. (how?) I can't tell you how I felt it was like an out of body experience but I was felt very righteously wrong footed! It was as if there was a 'family' conversation going on that I was suddenly privy to yet excluded from. I was asked if I wanted a coffee and said no thanks (I'd had one on the train) but I was bought a coffee. I thought this is really weird. My grandson needed the loo and my daughter took him. I felt threatened and that I needed to say/do something. So I said: Right then, I'm going

Right, I am still surprised you refer to your DD's MIL as sister in law, I wonder if you are unconsciously trying to be part of that family because you feel they have "swallowed up" your daughter? However, while I Agree she sounds somewhat inconsiderate, putting her MIL before you, how it impacts you is really within your control.
What was the problem about the MIL going off to the loo? confused And as for feeling "threatened" because your grandson wanted to go to the loo and his mummy took him, where are you coming from on this?
Sorry to sound brutal, but your take on the relationship sounds very distorted. You seem to have multiple issues and are blaming your DD's parents for all of them. I think there is a combination of insecurity ("losing " your DD, social insecurity, they are rich , doubts about self-worth as you have recently gone through the trauma of redundancy, and an inability to have a life of your own independent of your DD and DGS
No, in answer to your OP this has nothing to do with class or how "rich people" behave, but you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about it.
If you cannot see your way through this morass, I would suggest some sort of counselling to address all the issues you describe.
Good luck with that, and please bear in mind this is an ope, public site, unless you subconsciously want your DD and her DH and his family to find out how you feel.

Tegan Tue 01-Mar-16 11:11:44

Strange to read this today as I was doing some daydreaming in the car on the way home yesterday [I wasn't driving, by the way]. Having bought a lottery ticket I was doing the usual 'what will I do with the millions I've won to help my children, but in a way that won't have an adverse affect on their lives' [given that a lot of relationships are great when there's a future goal but when people get to where they want to be the relationship often falls apart...at least that's what my doctor told me when my marriage ended...but I digress...]. It seems to me that it's just a version of the usual problem of one family having priority over another [beentheregothetshirt]. But also a young couple with no common goals to bind them together, although they probably don't realise this at the moment. And also reminds me of the bit in Watership Down where the rabbits find a wonderful home where everything is perfect but there is a huge price to pay for that perfection. I've also realised over the past couple of weeks that, getting up early each day, working incredibly hard and falling into bed shattered each night has meant that the multitude of things that I worry about seem to have evaporated. By the way, I didn't get a single lottery number this time...sad....

Stansgran Tue 01-Mar-16 11:23:54

I think a visit to the doctor for a blood test. You sound exactly like a friend who had an over active thyroid . I have a similar family situation but my SonIL when we were doing a lot to help out with the grandchildren shared Google calendars so I would put up holidays and dates I could or couldn't help and they or rather he put in dates his parents were visiting and or helping out. My daughter is like yours in that she often was surprised when she found out about some arrangement. She is a very busy woman and has a full diary anyway.
I also think you should take down your photo or delete too much information.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 01-Mar-16 11:30:08

This has got to be one of the most confusing thread I've read on GN. I agree with jings, this is a bucket job. Stop putting yourself in a situation that causes so much distress.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 01-Mar-16 11:32:34

thread = threads

soapsoanelive Tue 01-Mar-16 11:33:30

Thanks KatyK and Synonymous: it's probably confusing because (ahem), as a woman I'm fighting only against myself? So I desire to nurture, support, build (and teach by example) yet I also realise that the world my daughter's in is quite 'male' supporting men and all their works and that noone questions that. Traditional. EEK.

And I'm trying to quietly assert myself and (my) value and worth as a mature woman. Like my daughter and like everyone else I've moved on: yet noone acknowledges that: I think it's because we're still fighting old prejudices about what women can do, I think it's because probably I have a lot more than I realise and have achieved far more than I realise. Because these parent child relationships make our children cringe and make us cringe and childlike too!

It's alright saying I'm a tolerant person: we all are until we realise that OUR boundaries are crossed, we aren't listened to and there's no chance it's going to change! My son in law's gran gets fed up with being taken round all the properties etc that they acquire and his mum can't understand why.....
I've sat with her and tried to get her to just care, I've tried to get her to understand that wow their achievements are stunning but 'value' and valuing what other people think is important is just as important. It becomes though like a competition: it's like, in a microcosm an explanation of all the Capulets and wars and problems of the world. I think lived experience should be valued and respected and I think what we all note about the world is how willing parents are to buy their children a stake in the future rather than standing back and letting them find their own way?

We all go on about poor kids having so many issues to deal with, access to education, work, housing but it's a continuum: rich and poor live in an increasingly 'commodified world' where appearance of things being ok stands in for the truth of whether they really are. Rich kids have similar pressures to poorer kids, except you won't see them: they have to keep up the pretence that everything is fluid and easy (their peers are usually from the same backgrounds and it's a no no to 'overshare'), Yet often, professions, dominated by these kinds of people are in a direct relation with people who are from very different parts of society and they're supposed to help, heal, teach them when they're so buttoned up themselves against anything going 'wrong'?

So maybe what I'm railing against is that we need a way of helping people throughout society to be more altruistic, less market orientated, bring back the idea of the value of every individual. I just find competitive rich kids very empty, false and depressing.

Alea Tue 01-Mar-16 11:53:43

Your complaints against your DD's MIL seem pretty fundamental, so I don't really see where this latest argument about "prejudices about what women can do" is going.You have had some excellent advice but choose to go off on this anti-male tangent.
I am sorry, but I don't think you are behaving like a "mature woman" but one in a time warp who wants to be pivotal in your DD's life and cannot bear playing second fiddle to her husband or MIL whom you snidely refer to as "super nan".
Your "out of body" experience could indicate a medical problem, it could be menopausal or could be an indication that you need to get a better grip on reality.
Envy of the other GPs' financial situation? Resentment of no longer feeling central to your daughter's life? You are going just the right way to alienate all of them and "quietly asserting yourself" is not what is coming across in your frankly very needy posts.

soapsoanelive Tue 01-Mar-16 12:17:05

Alea what a good critic you are. Yet I wonder.

I am honest about what I think, feel and see and I think whether I'm needy or not is irrelevant: I did feel 'weird' that day because I had no control over what was happening. It was an analogy, it didn't really happen. This isn't true of my life generally but I'm open enough to wait and see before I make my judgements or decisions about people.

I usually give them the benefit of the doubt: except in this case (we're talking about eighteen years now so I know what the emotional landscape is like), where not only do they seem to want their own way, they just don't think they need to communicate with anyone who doesn't follow their line.

Actually, that's the truth: when I said super gran I meant really in the context of that day (which was really supposed to be a happy, jolly celebration about my daughter's achievement remember), and how their entrance was so much more important for my daughter and her husband than mine. Fact. Trying to make a joke really.

I am a feminist, I do campaign and believe in social change and politics is quite important to me but in perspective. Don't write like a bossy school teacher: you sound quite aggressive and very keen on quoting and put downs.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Mar-16 12:27:34

You say you "find rich kids very empty, false and depressing". I think you should go on some of the Politics threads on here. You might find find yourself to be very happy with some other posters on there.

There's the Boris Johnson one you could try. And the one about David Cameron. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Mar-16 12:28:29

It would take your mind off of your family too.

NanaandGrampy Tue 01-Mar-16 12:35:36

Is this about competition soap .

You say about how your in laws arrival was' so much more important for your daughter and her husband than yours'. Are you looking to be the most important person in their lives because if so I have a bit of a newsflash for you... that time is over. The celebration may have been about your daughters achievements but she plainly wasn't unhappy to share her day - so why would you be?

Your daughter now has her own family and extended family and you can no longer be the centre of her universe, whether that's because you're not told about impending holidays or your daughter and yourself no longer communicate in the old way.

Im struggling a lot with your post to be honest - the underlying message that I'm reading is me me me . Im so sorry to be so blunt, and I dont intend to offend ( but probably will) ...

Why shouldn't they have their own way? You say its been 18 years - well they aren't babies then are they? This is the way of the world !

I have to agree with Alea !!

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 01-Mar-16 12:40:53

soaps the reason I said I was confused is because at times I can't work out which relatives you are talking about, especially when you were describing the meet up in the city. I understand what you mean about your daughter and the other grandparents, but I'm not following you when you write about the mother-in-law, sister-in-law and sister.

I think what you are trying to say is your daughter is disappointing you because of the role you have been given in her life and that role is not the one you want. You have a good relationship with your grandson and may have to settle for that just now, even if you might feel like it's a bit like a child minder than a grandmother.

In fact, maybe you should concentrate on strengthening your relationship with your grandson, so that when he's old enough to appreciate the standard of living his parents and his father's family. At some point he will become acquisitive as all children do and when that happens, you need to hope your relationship is strong enough for him to want to continue being part of your life. I'd focus on that for now.

harrigran Tue 01-Mar-16 12:42:25

I have read all of this thread and to be honest I feel as if my brain is in a kitchen blender confused
If you don't like what you see soaps don't visit, Your DD's lifestyle is clearly an issue with you.

NanaandGrampy Tue 01-Mar-16 12:43:12

well said wilma - great advice

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 01-Mar-16 12:43:56

so that in preparation for

annsixty Tue 01-Mar-16 12:46:58

Your last 2 sentences are very wise Wilma she should build for the future with her GC.

POGS Tue 01-Mar-16 12:48:39

I have tried to engage with this thread but I can't help thinking if the be all end all of the reason to post was the relationship between mother and daughter I could feel empathetic. However I am feeling uneasy and I don't know why?

I find the rhetoric of the family set up merges with class , wealth issues etc. in a rather odd way. Odd in the sense that points are being mentioned in a fashion that leads me to query if there is more than one issue hoping to be discussed than the mother daughter relationship and request for advice.

Am I detecting a strong feninism characteristic in your persona soapsoanelive? Forgive me if I am misconstruing your posts but I am just being honest .

If I am wrong all I will say is I hope you and your daughter continue to share a good mother daughter relationship irrespective of any outside influence.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Mar-16 12:50:05

I have felt uneasy from the start of this thread POGS. grin

Tegan Tue 01-Mar-16 12:51:44

I think I pretty much get where soaps is coming from and agree with what Wilma has said. I don't think she has a problem with her DD's lifestyle other that when too much is handed to someone on a plate it can stop them developing as a person. And she's been in the relationship for so long she can't see how controlled she is by her in laws.

POGS Tue 01-Mar-16 12:52:53

Bugger you already answered my question.

You are a feminist. blush I am thinking that maybe you are a very strong person soapso and I am sure you are capable of handling the In Laws. Perhaps you scare them to death!

Alea Tue 01-Mar-16 12:57:12

I did feel 'weird' that day because I had no control over what was happening. It was an analogy, it didn't really happen

Now I am confused, what didn't happen? How was it an analogy?
I am not a bossy school teacher, nor aggressive, but a realist and if you don't like how I read your situation, that is fine by me.
But when a person asks "*Am I Being Unreasonable*? don't be outraged surprised if the answer is "Yes".

Lupatria Tue 01-Mar-16 13:02:16

I, too, have read through this thread right to the end in the hopes that something would explain it!
i'm totally confused by the whole thing and am not sure what the purpose was in starting it.
sorry, it's just my opinion, but perhaps it would have been better not to have started it at all.

maxgran Tue 01-Mar-16 13:15:39

It is confusing.
Sounds to me like you are over monitoring your daughter's life?
If she is happy with the relationship with her in laws then I cannot see the problem
It also sounds a bit like paranoia that they are somehow alienating you and what they do is with you in their thoughts?

Why would you think the Hamper was to buy you off? Is it not just a nice gift from your daughter?
Do they HAVE to tell you they are going skiing? Is it your business?

The In Laws have a relationship with your daughter, not with you.
Please try to stop investing so much time into wondering what they are doing.
Your daughter is an adult, has chosen a partner and seems ok with everything, therefore your concerns are unfounded.

Angela1961 Tue 01-Mar-16 13:16:12

Your daughter is obviously an intelligent adult. And that's where perhaps, the problem lies. She has made her life,decided what she is happy with and she is living it. It might not include you to the depth of your expectation and sadly you have to live with that also. I have two daughters 34 & 30 both married with children. I am divorced from their father and it wasn't an amicable split. My younger daughter wants nothing to do with me. Over the past ten years I have tried and tried to reconcile with her but sadly it's not to be. I wasn't invited to her wedding and haven't met my grandchildren. It nearly broke me but I've now accepted she makes the decisions on how to live her life.

Dandibelle Tue 01-Mar-16 13:47:15

I agree with jinglbellsfrocks soap xx
??