Gransnet forums

AIBU

to not want to contribute to honeymoon?

(106 Posts)
shiraz Thu 17-Mar-16 11:45:20

We have been asked to a wedding in the summer. The invites have just arrived and in it there's a request for cash (with bank transfer details) to go towards the couple's honeymoon. I feel odd about this. I have so many lovely things still from my wedding and whenever I look at them I think fondly about the people who gave them to me. Why has this changed? I know I'm probably being unreasonable but it makes me sad. #disgruntled

Stansgran Sun 22-May-16 20:25:59

Felice I think that's the nicest wedding present idea I've ever heard.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 09:37:27

at the end of the day- if you don't want to contribute and ask, just don't go and take advantage of their hospitality.

The price fof meals, etc, per guest, is quite substantial. I don't like the idea either- but it's their wedding and their choice. Probably much better than contributing to things they already have or don't need.

Nonnie1 Mon 23-May-16 13:28:50

Diplomacy is always a good idea when asking for money ! Maybe better not to mention the honeymoon, substiuting it for something else such as a new bed.

I would be more inclined to donate to a 'bed fund' !

fiorentina51 Mon 23-May-16 14:06:22

I don't really mind making a financial contribution but I do fret about how much to give.
My bugbear is the lack of courtesy from the recipients after you have made the requested donation. We went to a wedding abroad last year (obviously paying for our hotel and plane fares) we also gave a contribution of £50. Not heard a dickie bird since even though they have a website set up with photos etc of the big day and could easily have put a general thank you on there. Modern manners.......?

harrigran Mon 23-May-16 19:21:33

One of DH's nephews got married and we put a cheque for several hundred pounds in an envelope and put it through his letterbox rather than carry it to the wedding venue. After about three months we bumped into the couple in the supermarket and asked them if they had received the cheque, as we had no acknowledgement. The reply was not what I expected " yes we got the cheque, why" ? no thank you or apologies for not sending out thank you notes. This man's brother sent a wonderful letter after I sent £25 for each of his sons on their baptism, we couldn't attend as we were abroad.