Gransnet forums

AIBU

It was my job..

(35 Posts)
tanith Tue 19-Apr-16 14:54:22

OH has never shown interest in the garden apart from occasional mowing if I'm suffering with my back. Since the nice weather has come (he retired last year) he keeps 'helping' me in the garden. I only have to say I might trim that or cut that etc etc only to find him out there getting out the tools..
This morning I happened to say I was going to spend some time out the front to cut the grass and tidy up after I got a hair cut. Come home from the hairdresser to find the front grass cut and him cleaning the mower.. oh! says he, I've cut the grass for you.. thanks! says I wishing he left it alone I quite enjoy mowing in the sunshine. Well I also wanted to seed some patches on the front lawn and started getting a few bits together and walked out the front to find him following me with a rake to 'help' me , I muttered something about I can bloody do it myself...
Now I feel bad as he was only trying to help but I don't want him to take over my garden...
What a cow I am grin

tanith Wed 20-Apr-16 14:13:29

Grannyjacq1 grin

inishowen Wed 20-Apr-16 14:50:22

My DH does all the cooking and also loves doing the grocery shopping. He mows the lawn too. However he is no gardener! He thinks plants get in the way of his lawn mower and will mow right over them. Last year he pulled down a beautiful clematis because it was spreading all over the fence! I tried to say that was the idea. I now have a garden with just trees and grass. Anything else goes in a planter on the patio.

Shazmo24 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:10:20

Encourage him to find his own "niche " He's obviously finding it hard after he's retired. ..is there a "man shed" nearby that he could go along to..It's just for men and it's great!.. my friend went with her hubbie the first time and he then just got stuck in...If he likes learning new things then join a local U3A group may also be just the ticket! !...A bit of encouragement and he'll be off!

Liz46 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:23:22

Mine has stopped 'helping' in the garden since I screamed as he was about to pull out my jasmine.
Fortunately he has taken up bowling and enjoys it.

pompa Wed 20-Apr-16 19:02:17

Some great tips, thank you ladies.
Note to myself:-

Pull up her favourite plant as a weed.
Make a rubbish job of mowing lawn
Fill sink with dirty dishes

grin

TriciaF Wed 20-Apr-16 19:55:53

Reminds me of a man we used to know - his wife told him to weed a flower bed. He pulled up all the flowers first, to simplify things, then dug up the whole flowerbed, removing the weeds. Then replanted the flowers.
Some of them survived.

M0nica Thu 21-Apr-16 21:49:55

Tanith you are not being selfish, in guarding your territory and needing time by yourself. We are all different, some need company a lot others, and I am one, need time on their own.

In working years DH used to travel a lot, rarely for long periods, usually just a few days at a time, but it met my need for a bit of space; a couple of times a month I would come home from work to an empty house and isolation. DH is still working intermittently, so still is a way occasionally and I am used to having him around most of the time but I still treasure those odd hours on my own. Fortunately DH has begun to understand this, which makes it much easier.

tanith Thu 21-Apr-16 22:04:15

I agree with you MOnica I do like the house to myself occasionally..

granny2one Thu 21-Apr-16 22:12:26

"When your husband retires you get half as much money and twice as much husband!" Read this somewhere once and thought it just hit the nail on the head!