Gransnet forums

AIBU

being annoyed at people wearing black to a wedding?

(101 Posts)
minimo Wed 01-Jun-16 17:03:36

I went to a friend's daughter's wedding this weekend. A large number of the younger folk were in black which I thought a bit odd. Occasionally there was the odd bright handbag or scarf but even so I thought it looked wrong. I've also thought it's a 'no black, no white' tradition if you're a guest at a wedding. Do these rules no longer apply? Can't we leave the black for funerals?

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 22:21:48

Sorry Alea, couldn't resist

Gracesgran Wed 01-Jun-16 23:06:03

Wearing a white wedding dress is a comparatively recent tradition so it can easily change again. Who decided "no black, no white" was a rule to be imposed? These so called rules were put in place in another time with a different culture. It is not long ago that, after a death there was a set period to wear black and then purple, etc. What stuffy rules, often class based, and how wonderful to hear of the lovely, confident women looking the best they could at a friend's wedding. What business is it of any one else?

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jun-16 23:11:03

I think that too much black from the main parties at a wedding would look rather sinister. Like the grim reaper or witches. Or are they all goths.

Jane10 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:31:18

I agree nelliemoser. The wedding with black dressed bridesmaids and a black theme did give a most sinister impression which was sad as the bridal couple are a lovely cheerful pair usually. The bride's dress was a traditional white though which relieved the gloom a little.

Anniebach Thu 02-Jun-16 10:21:01

Black and white not worn at a wedding is not a rule , just as not drinking tea from a saucer is not a rule , just not considered acceptable

Black has been a mourning colour for many a year . White is considered an attempt to outshine the bride. So no rule. People are sometimes invited to wear colourful attire to a funeral but invited is different to just turning up in orange or Red

florencef1 Thu 02-Jun-16 10:27:01

Always thought it was "bad form" to wear black or white to a wedding as the main outfit colour but it seems that times are achanging !

moobox Thu 02-Jun-16 10:28:57

The last family wedding I was a guest at I had a multicoloured dress, a black jacket set it off perfectly. To accord with the uncertainty I hand coloured a large silk pin on flower in vibrant blue, which relieved the black

ExaltedWombat Thu 02-Jun-16 10:30:35

I've heard of bridesmaids being put in Little Black Dresses, which would be useful additions to their wardrobes. Seems eminently sensible.

Fran0251 Thu 02-Jun-16 10:31:28

You should be glad a young person is actually getting married. One of my daughters wore boots accompanying me to a wedding. I was dressed up to the nines, she was not. C'est la vie. I'm glad and lucky to have a daughter.

I also went to the young bride's Hen do. Cakes, tea, glass of champagne and theatre, followed by a pizza supper. Never never did we do that in my day, what a shame.

Lilyflower Thu 02-Jun-16 10:38:09

I agree, black is totally no-no for a wedding.

What annoys me even more is people (other than children) wearing non black clothing for funerals. Making a social statement is not appropriate when honouring the deceased and supporting the grieving should be the only priorities.

GandTea Thu 02-Jun-16 10:39:11

I agree that you should be happy that she is getting married. We would be happy for our daughter to get married starkers with a pineapple on her head, but it will not happen, hey ho.

moxeyns Thu 02-Jun-16 10:41:25

I'm off to a second cousin's wedding next month - a Jewish ceremony - and have been instructed to wear a black cocktail dress! (Thank heavens for Oxfam, that's the first cocktail dress I've ever had the need for...)

147GillianHolmes Thu 02-Jun-16 10:42:29

I remember many moons ago someone hissing into my ear that I was dressed more for a pop festival than a wedding, I met this with silent disinterest and would do the same today. Each to their own etc.

mygrannycanfly Thu 02-Jun-16 10:45:57

Going to a wedding can be very expensive and buying a special "only really looks right at a wedding" outfit is not for every pocket. Most people feel very smart and glamed up in an outfit that happens to be black - so may not even think about the fact that it's a colour that doesn't always display to best effect outdoors during daylight.

I'm just pleased when guests make an effort to dress for the occasion, I think it's a little disrespectful to the happy couple to make no effort at all. Of course it can be difficult to get it right. I went to my sisters wedding in a black and white floral dress, little black cardi and a black tifer and I felt perfectly at ease and looked the part in the photos even though everyone else was more formally and colourfully attired. My mother was most complementary "just right" she said with approval.

At my son's wedding, my mother turned up in a simple summer frock and cardi in a lovely magenta pattern. I was furious! She looked scruffy IMHO and I felt she should have made more of an effort - it didn't look like she had put any thought into her outfit at all. Yet it turned out that she gave a very generous cash gift to my son, so she did care, just her outfit didn't fit my ideas of what my Mum should wear. I was the one with the problem, not her.

shabby Thu 02-Jun-16 10:49:01

I wore a black Ossie Clark trouser suit to my sister's wedding in the early 70s. Everyone said 'you can't wear black to a wedding' and I said 'watch me'. Wish I still had that trouser suit now - even more I wish I could still fit into it!

mygrannycanfly Thu 02-Jun-16 10:57:24

Oh yes, and other guests at my son's wedding were two of his childhood friends. They couldn't really afford to be there but they were determined to make the effort. They drove down the night before intending to sleep in their car (my son took pity on them and they kipped on the floor of his room) on the day they borrowed his shoe polish "sorry mate, it was a choice of buying a pasty or buying polish and the pasty won". Knotted together their broken shoe laces and appeared in their best "court" suit. One of them hadn't a tie so had borrowed his boss's only tie. The only tie the boss had was his work tie. So the Iceland corporate tie was Solemnly worn.

Everyone appreciated the effort they made to be there and their efforts to meet sartorial standards and not embarrass their friend - they knew he'd have been fine with whatever they wore as long as it was washed, they wanted to do the best they could.

Mamar2 Thu 02-Jun-16 11:08:58

I wore a red jacket to my father's funeral, a electric blue jacket to my Aunties & recently a pink rose & a light blue to my mum's. Celebrate life!

cc Thu 02-Jun-16 11:09:07

I have worn black and white to a wedding, almost all my hats are black or trimmed with black and my special occasion shoes are black too. It isn't unusual for people to wear black to weddings today.

adaunas Thu 02-Jun-16 11:12:55

After watching Say Yes to the Dress I now know that even black wedding dresses can look stunning. I was just happy that people came looking their best.

Gracesgran Thu 02-Jun-16 11:17:09

Who says it is "not considered acceptable" or "bad form" (how snobbish is that!). At one time this so called rule didn't exist, someone made it up and it can just as easily be unmade; that is how cultures evolve. Of course we could stick at the point that suits a few older individuals but I don't think those younger than us would accept that - they do things their own way. Actually I can't remember wanting to stick to silly, self-imposed rules when I was younger (or now).

Why do people think they are so above others they can set the rules for them. Well done 147GillianHolmes homes for ignoring the very rude person who thought they had a right to comment.

omajane Thu 02-Jun-16 11:20:52

My pet hate is too much décolleté, bare shoulders etc at church weddings. I'm not at all religious but it seems wrong.

Badenkate Thu 02-Jun-16 11:22:52

It's nothing to do with me what other people wear - it's the people that count. Remember Stanley Holloway's 'Brown Boots'?

Anniebach Thu 02-Jun-16 11:24:36

Is not saying I will wear black if I want to, watch me, saying I want to be noticed

Badenkate Thu 02-Jun-16 11:25:47

Here's the link to the lyrics if you're interested lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/b/brahnboots.shtml

Bluecat Thu 02-Jun-16 11:28:46

I'm afraid I think these "rules" are a bit ridiculous, and I don't really give a toss about other people's clothes. Certainly couldn't muster the energy to get annoyed about it!