Gransnet forums

AIBU

being annoyed at people wearing black to a wedding?

(101 Posts)
minimo Wed 01-Jun-16 17:03:36

I went to a friend's daughter's wedding this weekend. A large number of the younger folk were in black which I thought a bit odd. Occasionally there was the odd bright handbag or scarf but even so I thought it looked wrong. I've also thought it's a 'no black, no white' tradition if you're a guest at a wedding. Do these rules no longer apply? Can't we leave the black for funerals?

notanan Thu 02-Jun-16 21:21:08

It's not a "thing" any more. Most weddings I've been to lately had a few people wearing black.

Only rules are don't wear a wedding dress unless you are a bride (or that way inclined groom) - apparently this actually happens shock & don't show your knickers or nipples.

People just aren't superstitious around weddings any more. Most of the old traditions are based on superstitions.

phizz Thu 02-Jun-16 21:22:31

My sister wore black to my wedding and I cared not a jot although I know others were muttering behind their hands.

notanan Thu 02-Jun-16 21:47:10

although I know others were muttering behind their hands.
someone doing this in a traditional guest outfit looks far worse IMO than someone dressed in black being happy for the couple and pleasant to and about the other guests

BillieW Fri 03-Jun-16 19:15:02

My daughter in 2010 had 3 adult bridesmaids in short black lace dresses, with a little one in white, I wore a custom maid black and white silk dress.
My daughter spend a year out and many holidays in America, at the time of her wedding bridesmaids in Black were very fashionable across the pond.
I wasn't happy at first but it looked very chic on the day, and unusual, which was what she wanted, her dress was cream, as were the sheer shawls the adult bridesmaids had. The taking point on the day was of the grooms sister having the same dress as one of the guests!

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 03-Jun-16 19:34:11

harrigran she does look gorgeous!

Jane10 what do you mean when you say 'Shirley Bassey type bridesmaids dresses'?

tiredoldwoman Sat 04-Jun-16 06:24:11

My neice had requested that all her guests wear ' black and red' . I put together an outfit that I wouldn't have normally chosen , to fit her request . She thought the photos would be stunning . Only 3 of us turned up in black and red, everyone else , including her mother rejected her request . I felt a bit of a twit , a wee bit like Bridget Jones turning up in fancy dress , not having been told that fancy dress was cancelled ! Ocht well !

thatbags Sat 04-Jun-16 08:09:15

Weddings aren't really about what people wear, however much wedding fashion and "trends" would seem to say otherwise.

annsixty Sat 04-Jun-16 08:19:03

I think some rules are open to being broken. I personally would not wear black to a wedding, I look dreadful in black. I wouldn't wear all black to a funeral for the same reason. I go to a lot now!! I wear a darkish skirt and a lighter top with a dark jacket. The one rule I do have for myself is that I don't wear trousers to a funeral although I live in them all the time normally. I know that is quite illogical, it is just a thing I do.

Jane10 Sat 04-Jun-16 08:39:08

Wilma by Shirley Bassey style dresses I mean the sort of showbiz, shiny, draped, low cut, sequined numbers. Fine for singing in a big show but not nice for a wedding if you see what I mean?

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 04-Jun-16 13:13:23

I do Jane, but they are so popular right now, here and abroad! My wedding dress had no lace, pearls or sparkly bits because it just wasn't me. Would choose lace now though.

lucyinthesky Sat 04-Jun-16 13:55:49

My daughter had a black and white theme for her wedding - it looked fab and more modern than pretty pink and flowery.

She was more than happy for me to wear a long black dress to the wedding wine grin

seasider Sat 04-Jun-16 19:52:51

My DD had a black and white theme for her wedding. The older bridesmaids wore black cocktail dresses and the younger ones wore white. I had a black dress and short white jacket and a big black Audrey Hepburn style hat. We told people to wear whatever they wished but most people word black and white and the whole effect was very stylish.

icanhandthemback Sat 04-Jun-16 20:17:46

My daughter-in-law wore purple for her wedding and the bridesmaids wore short dresses with Doc Martins. It wasn't my particular taste (in fact I thought they looked hideous) but it made my DIL happy so that made me happy.

Legs55 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:45:47

when my daughter & her partner had their Civil Partnership ceremony my daughter wore a full length black dress & her partner wore a black chinese silk dress - they looked gorgeous & happy. their wedding cake was in the shape of a football shirt in their favourite Liverpool colours. everybody had a fantastic day

glassortwo Mon 06-Jun-16 20:02:09

My MIL wore black to our wedding, after initially refusing the invite grin

carolmary Fri 10-Jun-16 11:07:27

I'm a bellringer and so I see a lot of weddings. You should see what some of the guests wear (or rather don't wear!) Dresses up to the crotch, necklines that leave nothing to the imagination, wedding dresses and tattoos, little boys in morning dress, usually crying ,no doubt at the discomfort. In the end does it matter? It's the bride and groom's day, and if they are happy then tyhat's what's important

Witzend Fri 17-Jun-16 09:29:01

I can't say it would bother me, but then I wouldn't expect people to wear black to a funeral, either. My mother wore a red flowery dress for my much loved father's funeral - he had never liked her in black and wouldn't have wanted anyone else wearing it for the sake of gloomy conformity, either.

Ziggy62 Tue 21-Jun-16 19:03:51

i am getting married in September, my dress arrived today, it is a 50's style tea dress in black with red roses. I'm sure there will be a few comments on the day but i love it and it is my special day

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 20:02:16

Sounds gorgeous!!

goose1964 Wed 22-Jun-16 09:28:04

traditionally ( I understand) wearing black to wedding meant that you disapproved, these days however I think thigs have changed & most younger people assume black is smart

queenMab99 Wed 29-Jun-16 14:51:47

I wore a black dress and jacket to my own wedding, with a cream hat, I wanted to be able to wear the outfit again and again, as I hate to waste money grin I did get lots of wear out of it (until I 'grew' out of it)

HakkenKrak Sat 02-Jul-16 10:13:13

I wore red to get married, so don't mind breaking tradition but I think unless stated in the invitation plain black and white should be avoided because lots of people still stick to the tradition.

Leticia Thu 21-Jul-16 17:43:34

I can't see anything wrong with getting away from tradition these days but then I like funerals where you are told to wear bright colours.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Jul-16 13:16:15

Wear what you like and that goes for funerals too they don't have to be all black I ll be mortified if people all wear black at my funeral
Bring on the colours and what makes you happy x

stillaliveandkicking Thu 28-Jul-16 21:12:56

I personally wouldn't wear black to a wedding unless it was considered part of the dress code.