Gransnet forums

AIBU

Matador gored to death

(42 Posts)
NanKate Mon 11-Jul-16 21:17:25

I have not one jot of sorrow for the matador who was gored to death in Spain on Saturday. This was broadcast on live tv.

If you stick blades into a bull and cause it untold pain what can you expect. I hope the bull was put down humanely, but I have my doubts.

Stop thus cruel sport NOW.

merlotgran Mon 11-Jul-16 21:19:20

Bull:1 Matador:0 Good!

phoenix Mon 11-Jul-16 21:19:55

I believe that this incident has opened quite a debate in Spain, so I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens.

TriciaF Mon 11-Jul-16 21:43:02

I'm sorry to say that this cruel sport is still popular in our part of France as well. It's called the Corrida.

Greenfinch Mon 11-Jul-16 22:17:13

No sympathy from me eitherangry

ninathenana Mon 11-Jul-16 23:55:49

Just desserts

numberplease Tue 12-Jul-16 00:21:35

No sympathy for the matador, but the bull can`t win whatever happens, it will still have been killed. I don`t understand how people actually pay to watch this cruelty.

rosesarered Tue 12-Jul-16 07:20:23

....although I have sympathy with the matadors wife, who was in the crowd ( and may have children too.)
High time bull fighting ( bull torturing) was banned.

nightowl Tue 12-Jul-16 08:02:27

Although I detest and deplore this so called sport, just as I detest and deplore all blood sports, I do have sympathy and sadness for the loss of a young man who could have done something far more worthwhile with his life. It is a tragic loss for his wife and family, and an utterly pointless death.

sunseeker Tue 12-Jul-16 08:11:20

I feel sorrow for the loss of any life, but I hope his death leads to a ban on this "sport". I gather not only was the bull killed but now his mother is also to be killed to break the bloodline!!

DanniRae Tue 12-Jul-16 08:14:43

Apparently the bull's mother will be killed too. It's a tradition of this bl**dy awful so-called sport.

whitewave Tue 12-Jul-16 08:19:33

Killing any animal as a sport degrades us as humans.

Indeed we have a huge responsibility to any species that we exploit for entertainment or food. Every single animal including our pets should be treated with respect for its physiological and psychological needs.

vampirequeen Tue 12-Jul-16 08:37:27

It's a dangerous sport. That's what makes it exciting (not my idea of exciting btw). Well this time the matador lost. No sympathy.

You take part in dangerous sports then you accept the risk.

Nandalot Tue 12-Jul-16 09:44:35

What about the father of the bull? Is he killed too or is it all the female's fault?

It is very strange about the Spanish love of bull fighting. My DIL who is Spanish loves animals and has rescue greyhounds and is very committed to the Greyhound rescue charity in Spain yet would go to a bullfight and admires the bullfighters.
( As an aside, abandoned greyhounds are - problem there. They are used as hunters and abandoned when past it or if don't measure up.)

Anniebach Tue 12-Jul-16 09:48:45

I have sympathy for the man and his family , I want bull fighting banned but accept this poor man was taking part in a custom of his country , we all defend our customs and culture do we not?

Think of stag hunting in this country, not all stags are killed instantly but we don't get to see their suffering because of the power of those who call it a sport

merlotgran Tue 12-Jul-16 09:55:11

Does the bull have any chance of escape?

Greenfinch Tue 12-Jul-16 10:06:52

If stag hunting and fox hunting are part of our culture then we certainly do not all support it.They are dreadful activities. I will not call them sports.

Anniebach Tue 12-Jul-16 10:11:11

I know not all support blood sports Greenfinch but they are legal. Some in Spain do not support bull fighting but it's legal

KittensandKnittings Tue 12-Jul-16 10:13:10

Annie if here in England tourturing an animal was considered a custom or culture then absolutely 100% I would not be defending it, I am also sure they are a great deal of Spanish people who do not defend it either.

I don't fully approve of deer hunting, as there is an element of suffering (arguments to be had if more or less than a chicken or sheep for example in certain abattoirs) but the difference is that someone who hunts a deer does not do it just for sport, there is a sport element to it which is what bothers me greatly but every time I've spoken to someone about it who actually has partaken there has always been a huge amount of respect for the animal, before and after its death in that every single part of the animal that can be used is used.

I doubt anything from this animal is used or its mother, it's just a butchering of a animal in a disgraceful way for glory, and that is not very "glorious" at all in my opinion

AllieGB Tue 12-Jul-16 10:43:19

apparently only 19% of 18-65 y olds support it... think it's high time this barbaric 'custom' was consigned to the history books

sunseeker Tue 12-Jul-16 13:33:24

Nandalot I would assume the bull's father was probably killed in the bullring. It's true many Spaniards are against this "sport" but somehow it still continues. I'm a country girl but am against all blood sports. Killing for fun is what psychopaths do.

nightowl Tue 12-Jul-16 13:52:22

The meat from bulls killed in the bullring is used, so nothing is wasted Kittensandknitting. And I think the Matadors would say they have great respect for the bulls they kill. It's all a load of crap, just sheer cruelty whatever the blood sport and whichever the culture practising it.

Nelliemoser Tue 12-Jul-16 14:00:43

Well there you go. The revenge of the Bull.

I detest these blood sports. If you have to cull a population of animals that are overbreeding in a particular area and possibly damaging their environment and the eco system, and this can easily happen, then cull them humanely. Don't make a party of the event.

soop Tue 12-Jul-16 14:06:20

ditto Nelliem

granjura Tue 12-Jul-16 16:21:17

Moi aussi. For quite some time now, the Geneva area have banned all hunting in the region. They have a professional team of ecological experts who are top trained in the use of arms and who know every cm2 of the area- and most of the animals and herds. If there is a need for culling, be it a rogue fox, an injured animal or RTA, or older deer, or if there are too many, causing too much tree damage, etc- then they assess the situation and deal with it quickly and humanely. The way forward.