Gransnet forums

AIBU

Alcohol !

(89 Posts)
NanKate Sun 24-Jul-16 17:08:26

I've read in the paper this weekend that all alcohol wine is bad for you, even a little snifter.

Anyone for a lemonade ? hmm

Alima Sun 24-Jul-16 17:09:42

Yes please!

Pittcity Sun 24-Jul-16 17:09:54

No thanks, too much sugar!

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jul-16 17:10:51

Only if its homemade, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Anyone want a vat of it???!

bimbadeen Sun 24-Jul-16 17:18:02

Son has bi polar and is an alcoholic, anyone else had these problems and how have you coped with them?

Loses his temper very easily which is NOT nice.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 17:19:04

Oh well - how long has man been drinking alcohol? Nonsense.

whitewave Sun 24-Jul-16 17:20:31

Sorry bimba I posted that before I read your post.

Yes that is a different issue altogether and hard for you.

Anniebach Sun 24-Jul-16 17:31:50

Same for me bimbadeen, you just have to cope as you would have to if it were any other illness, I know just how difficult it is

M0nica Sun 24-Jul-16 17:32:44

Alcohol is bad for you (causes cancer), so does fat, red meat,sugar, not exercising, exercising too much, too little sleep, too much sleep, coffee, etc etc etc.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease that is always fatal. You have to die of something.

wot Sun 24-Jul-16 17:53:05

Monica, I love your last sentence!

M0nica Sun 24-Jul-16 17:59:37

I wish I had been the person who coined it. But someone else said it to me and I have treasured it ever since.

KatyK Sun 24-Jul-16 18:31:59

My DH always says that - you have to die of something. I probably drink more than is good for me. My life hasn't been a walk in the park and while I realise alcohol is not the answer, it helps me to relax. I have just had a thorough health check and I am as fit as a butcher's dog. smile

cathymum Sun 24-Jul-16 20:27:11

I read somewhere that giving things up that are bad for you won't make you live longer it will just feel like it does.

annsixty Sun 24-Jul-16 21:06:47

Without my 3x weekly G&T and a couple of glasses of wine with a meal I would be very unhappy. My life is challenging but I have those treats to look forward to.
I think everyone should do what suits them and works for their lifestyle. The experts can suit themselves, I will.

KatyK Sun 24-Jul-16 21:28:30

I was telling DH about this tonight and he said 'oh for goodness sake. I have been drinking alcohol regularly for over 50 years and it's never done me any harm. I've only got prostate cancer, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, aneamia and low haemoglobln levels' grin with apologies for spellings!

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 21:59:16

Too late for this evening.
Oh well, tomorrow is another day as they say, always start a diet, giving up alcohol etc on Mondays

bimbadeen so sorry to hear that; is he still living with you?
I have seen the destructive side of alcohol.

hildajenniJ Sun 24-Jul-16 22:00:08

Oh well, never mind, I have a glass of cloudy cider in my other hand.

hildajenniJ Sun 24-Jul-16 22:03:21

Sorry bimba that sounded a bit unfeeling. I've seen what alcohol addiction can do. I spent a lot of time on the addictions unit at the hospital where I worked as a mental health nurse.

absent Sun 24-Jul-16 22:37:11

I think that if you've got lemons, you make gin and tonic.

Thingmajig Mon 25-Jul-16 10:06:25

Funnily enough, I read somewhere recently that being teetotal was bad for you and we should all be drinking a bottle of wine a day!!!

Lona Mon 25-Jul-16 10:12:17

At my great age, I no longer care, I shall do as I please smile

annsixty Mon 25-Jul-16 10:12:19

A whole bottle grin

merlotgran Mon 25-Jul-16 10:20:41

It amuses me that when taking certain medication or going on a diet you are advised to 'avoid' alcohol.

Does this mean I have to dash past the top of the drinks aisle in a supermarket in case a bottle of wine topples off the shelf and lands in my trolley? Maybe I ought to give the wine rack at home a very wide berth. Covering it with a bath towel might help!

If DH pours himself a drink he should really give me thirty seconds warning so I can lock myself in the bedroom.

What happens if the car breaks down outside a pub?

Nightmare!

KatyK Mon 25-Jul-16 10:20:55

I'm with you Lona - I've survived this long. My mother never touched alcohol or smoked and was dead at 58. My father was a violent,abusive, chain smoking alcoholic and lived to be 70. I too will do as I please as long as I'm not hurting anyone. smile

granjura Mon 25-Jul-16 12:03:05

With some medications you need to avoid alcohol because you shouldn't drive as it could be dangerous. Just depends.

Alcohol is very enjoyable and in reasonable amounts can actually be 'good' for you- but to deny that there is a massive amount of alcoholism out there- often 'functional' and totally denied- and boast about it- is not really helpful, really. The level of irreversible liver damage in younger and youngern and larger and larger numbers is undeniable and tragic- the NHS is struggling with this much more than with immigration.