Gransnet forums

AIBU

Alcohol !

(90 Posts)
NanKate Sun 24-Jul-16 17:08:26

I've read in the paper this weekend that all alcohol wine is bad for you, even a little snifter.

Anyone for a lemonade ? hmm

NanaMacGeek Fri 05-Aug-16 00:31:22

Last line should read "None of us will ever be the same again."

mumofmadboys Fri 05-Aug-16 07:44:34

A sobering post NanaMc Geek. Glad your son is in recovery. He is very lucky to have your support and be able to live with you.Hope he continues to do well.

J52 Fri 05-Aug-16 07:44:56

flowers for you Nana. This must be dreadful for you all. I have no wise words just that I hope things eventually work out.

baubles Fri 05-Aug-16 08:59:09

Nana I understand how exhausting and worrying this is for you. You can't make your son better, only he can do that. Have you looked at the Al-Anon site, you may find support for yourself. My very best wishes to you and your son.
www.al-anon.org/

grannylyn65 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:40:45

I would dearly like to give an opinion on a 'recovering alcoholic' who 'only' has 9 malt whiskeys a week.
Been in recovery for 30 years, succeeding staying
sober by not allowing ANYTHING with alcohol in it into my system.
I was drinking 2 litre bottles of vodka per day.

wot Sun 07-Aug-16 18:22:32

Grannylyn, I think it was very kind of you to put your post on.

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 18:41:42

A recovering alcoholic cannot drink one tot of alcohol, well done grannylyn and you have given me some hope X

grannylyn65 Sun 07-Aug-16 19:54:09

Although anonymity is the cornerstone of AA, I have never concealed my alcoholism, There is not much I wouldn't do to help anyone to avoid the absolute hell that I put myself and my family through x

wot Sun 07-Aug-16 19:59:05

Well, I think that's very nice, Grannylyn ?

NanaMacGeek Sun 07-Aug-16 22:46:19

Grannylyn, thank you for being so open, I have so much respect for you. I hope anyone on this forum that may be struggling with alcohol finds peace and compassion. Also, I wouldn't want anyone reading these posts to stop enjoying their favourite tipple because some of us have been unfortunate enough to find out just what damage too much alcohol for too long can wreak on themselves or those they love. My DH and I miss our glasses of wine, but not enough for it to matter. I think I'd like everyone to be a bit more alcohol aware, especially when there are young, impressionable minds around them when they drink. I'm sorry if I sound as I'm preaching, I've only just started learning the hard way.

grannylyn65 Mon 08-Aug-16 07:26:48

If you think you have a problem, you probably have
One drink is too many, a thousand is never too much .

grannylyn65 Mon 08-Aug-16 18:33:28

Sorry, a thousand is never enough

Anya Mon 08-Aug-16 18:37:32

You are an inspiration *grannylyn" flowers

grannylyn65 Tue 09-Aug-16 09:45:35

smile