Gransnet forums

AIBU

Isle of Wight

(29 Posts)
Elrel Fri 05-Aug-16 17:45:02

I've never been to the island but am shocked at the arrogant dismissive comments of Hoare, an OFSTED Official. I He thinks 'most people' just visit for Cowes and the champagne. He was speaking at a Teach First conference, maybe they served the fizzy stuff too.
His remarks about the inadequacy of the islands' schools have been refuted by OFSTED itself and the local MP. Apparently it's an 'inbred ghetto'.
It would be interesting to have some opinions from residents and visitors!

numberplease Fri 05-Aug-16 17:48:36

We haven`t been for a good many years, but did go several times in the 7os and 80s. We loved the island, never went near Cowes apart from getting on/off the ferry on the first visit. At one time we even toyed with the idea of moving over there, but the houses were a bit to much for our pocket.

rosesarered Fri 05-Aug-16 21:11:18

A lot of people do go to Cowes Week, but not as many other visitors who have a week's holiday there probably.We have had several lovely holidays there in the past, it always feels nicely old fashioned.

Greenfinch Fri 05-Aug-16 21:35:18

My cousin used to own a hotel in Ventnor and later in Shannon.We enjoyed some lovely holidays there when our children were small but we never went to Cowes.

Greenfinch Fri 05-Aug-16 21:35:53

Should read Shanklin

merlotgran Fri 05-Aug-16 22:27:55

Speaking as a native, I think his comments are unjustified and hurtful to Island residents.

Of course Cowes is popular for the well heeled, 'yotties' as is Yarmouth and the locals who rely on tourism for their living are more than happy to see them but the rest of the Island has seen its holiday industry suffer from the disgracefully high ferry charges. You can go to France for less.

We have friends with children and grandchildren who attend Island schools and I bet they have steam coming out of their ears. If the schools are inadequate then OFSTED is failing in its duty.

As for an 'inbred ghetto'....He should visit the Fens grin

merlotgran Fri 05-Aug-16 22:28:46

Which hotel did your cousin own in Ventnor, Greenfinch?

Greenfinch Fri 05-Aug-16 23:51:22

The Belgrade which was somewhere near the top of the hill leading down to the sea if my memory serves me right.

Greenfinch Fri 05-Aug-16 23:58:44

The Belgrave

NanKate Sat 06-Aug-16 06:57:35

We love the I of W and each year go as foot passengers for the day from Lymington to Yarmouth.

This time we went to visit Osborne House. In the past we visited the lovely Zoo in Shanklin or was it Sandown ? Carrisbrooke Castle is worth a visit too

The bus service is excellent and we can use our bus pass.

We look forward to many more visits to the Island.

Alima Sat 06-Aug-16 07:37:01

We moved to Ryde in the mid 80's. Our youngest D started school there. By the time we moved back to the mainland 3 years later (due to DH's job) her reading age was nearly four years older than she actually was! Thank you Ryde St Johns Primary. Our eldest daughter moved from primary to middle school whilst we were there. That meant she went back to primary school when we moved but suffered no ill effects in her education. It was a wonderful place to live and we would have stayed but for his job. ( Our two DDs are dark haired and it was noticeable that most of their Island friends were fair haired!)

Iam64 Sat 06-Aug-16 08:45:49

I've just heard Michael wilshaw quoted as saying Mr H should keep his job, despite his comments.

I thought one of the aims of Ofsted in its school inspections, was to put a stop to bullying, which includes making derogatory comments like this. It really isn't funny to make comments like this, especially the old chestnut about "in breeding". Incest - amusing, really?

KatyK Sat 06-Aug-16 10:04:25

We haven't been for many years but used to holiday there regularly - not for Cowes and champagne but for a lovely holiday.

cazMcg63 Sat 06-Aug-16 10:47:44

Hello I'm new to this ☺️
I was born on IW and lived in Winchester for 25 years before retiring back here. We left for my husbands job but also because High School education was poor...... That was 30 yrs ago! Surely something has to be done as nothing has changed but he is not helping us get new teachers with those comments!
I'm sitting here looking out to sea while my grandchildren learn to sail, surf and paddle board with their Dad, with not a iPad in site. What's not to love. A safe,happy, beautiful, trouble free,environment,bliss! If only they didn't have to leave at 11 to find a decent school.

merlotgran Sat 06-Aug-16 11:22:42

I really envy you, caz. We were soooo tempted to retire there five years ago but I was heavily involved in my mother's care and our family is on the mainland now.

I feel sorry for the poor heads trying to turn their schools around. They're under enough pressure without stupid comments from an OFSTED official.

Christinefrance Sat 06-Aug-16 12:22:39

Cannot understand how an obviously intelligent man could make such ill founded and derogatory remarks. Really think an apology is insufficient for a person who purports to be an educator and holds a position of authority. With that come responsibilities, he should take a long hard look at himself.

Iam64 Sat 06-Aug-16 14:28:34

He should resign or be sacked

joannapiano Sat 06-Aug-16 19:41:52

I don't know what the IOW schools are like now, but 10 years ago a relative was an Ofsted inspector for Primary schools that encompassed the island. He said to us in confidence, that they were the worst he visited.A lot of work was being done to improve standards. I'm sure the Heads of the schools can do without this Ofsted Official making such awful remarks in public.

AsarahG Sun 07-Aug-16 19:40:07

Schools on the mainland have been turned around and it is obvious that this idiot is failing in his job to turn round schools on the island. He should be sacked, or sued by the islanders. Disgusting remarks. (are you allowed to go round publicly stating that there is incest in a certain area?)

SueDoku Mon 08-Aug-16 18:25:54

Can you imagine the reaction from Ofsted if a teacher made these sort of remarks about their pupils..? They'd be up on a disciplinary before they could draw breath...and quite rightly.
This man is overseeing the education of our DC and DGC - and Ofsted is saying that this kind of language is fine... Great. Just great. angry

silverlining48 Wed 24-Aug-16 09:15:56

I understand he has now resigned...

granjura Wed 24-Aug-16 09:41:27

That was sooo rude, glad he has resigned.

Digressing a bit - the title made me think of my only visit to the IoW - from 28th of August to 31st - 46 years ago for that epic festival. Time to visit again me thinks.

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Aug-16 10:12:56

He might well have been right about the problems in the IOW education systems but the language he used was apallingly offensive.
How on earth could someone who was the chairman of such an important organisation as offstead not have thought about how to express his disatisfaction with a service as constructively as possible.

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 10:41:53

My younger brother (playing guitar on the left) busking with friends on Ventnor sea front.

They were happy, laid back days, granjura

Not sure the tourists were all that impressed grin

LullyDully Wed 24-Aug-16 16:49:13

Love the photo, takes me back. Long haired layabouts to my Dad, gods to me.