Gransnet forums

AIBU

Isle of Wight

(30 Posts)
Elrel Fri 05-Aug-16 17:45:02

I've never been to the island but am shocked at the arrogant dismissive comments of Hoare, an OFSTED Official. I He thinks 'most people' just visit for Cowes and the champagne. He was speaking at a Teach First conference, maybe they served the fizzy stuff too.
His remarks about the inadequacy of the islands' schools have been refuted by OFSTED itself and the local MP. Apparently it's an 'inbred ghetto'.
It would be interesting to have some opinions from residents and visitors!

granjura Wed 24-Aug-16 20:40:35

Were you there too Merlot?

Those toilets!?!?! When we got back to Portsmouth, my brother's 2CV had been opened like a sardine can and all is HiFi and stuff stolen- so he got in a huff and left me standing there. I had to hitch-hike back to London with another few 1000s of teenagers!

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 20:51:24

I lived there, granjura

I moved from Ventnor to Freshwater when I got married. Our cottage was opposite the field where the 1970 festival was held.

Amazing!

granjura Wed 24-Aug-16 21:14:25

How did the locals feel at the time? I mean hosting 550.000 for one week-end must have been quite something. I didn't have a tent- just my trainers, jeans, t-shirt and a jumper. If it had rained, I don't know what I would have done.

merlotgran Wed 24-Aug-16 21:27:46

Islanders take anything and everything in their stride. Their humour is irrestible. Sometimes edgy but always irresistable.

Yes, it was an invasion but just a precursor to the current festivals. The third generation of my family are regulars now.