Gransnet forums

AIBU

PM recieved

(103 Posts)
felice Wed 10-Aug-16 10:59:41

I recieved a PM from someone here on Friday morning which has made me very angry.
I had posted on the Ryanair site, giving my experiences of travelling with them as a disabled person.
I have posted on the subject before saying the same things.
The PM I recieved asked if I was really disabled or did I just make up a story so I could post on GN.
To all intents and purposes acussing me of lying.
It was not a nickname I recognised as most regular posters will know of my disabilites.
I am a bit angry and at the time thought of sending the PM to my lawyer.
I want to forget it but it has upset me.

Smileless2012 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:39:28

That's really horrible feliceflowers

I received a really horrible pm last year and posted it, in full on the thread that had prompted it. It was eventually deleted by GNHQ, after about 3 hours, for breaking forum guidelines.

I did query this as the personal offensive comments were directed at me, and I didn't make any personally offensive comments to the poster when I made it public. I did of course say who'd sent it.

I understand why GNHQ likes to be informed of such unpleasantness and wants to be given the opportunity to deal with it. That said sending nasty pm's is very cowardly, as bullies seem to be, and I just think that if they and their messages are made public, it might deter them being sent in the first place.

Jalima Wed 10-Aug-16 17:46:16

How horrible for you felice, hope you get over it and realise that it was probably a troll (I doubt a member of Ryanair staff would do that, it is probably school holiday syndrome again).

I did receive a very odd pm the other week from someone I had never heard of, it was not nasty, but offering services I did not require shock
I didn't know how to report it although I tried, so I just deleted it. Having deleted it I cannot now remember the name of the person or what it was about thank goodness!

felice Wed 10-Aug-16 18:08:30

Hi Jalima, I was going to contact you and tell you your suggestion with DGS regarding nappies had worked, was told on Thursday that he could not go to my birthday lunch as he was still a baby wearing nappies, nappy came off and he used the toilet, back to normal now.
You are a star,,,,flowersthank you, this is what GN is all about.

phoenix Wed 10-Aug-16 18:12:08

Oh Felice that is pretty bad! I had a horrid experience when a GN member printed off and sent through the post some stuff to my boss.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I would like to think that members here are decent people, but it would appear from our experience that sadly that is not the case.

Sending every good wish to you, and wishing a plague of boils, heamarhoids and toothache to the nasty person who has upset you!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Aug-16 18:30:34

phoenix yours was an outstandingly awful experience.

Tbh, not a lot of harm done with this one.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Aug-16 18:32:10

I mean, it was just silly.

KatyK Wed 10-Aug-16 18:33:35

Appalling thing to do.

granjura Wed 10-Aug-16 18:39:37

Agreed, and agreed you had the right to post in AIBU - and yet also agree with GN that you should have reported it to them first so they could deal with it.

TriciaF Wed 10-Aug-16 18:42:32

phoenix I just read this. There are some very nasty people around, which I never wanted to believe. You're entitled to be upset. The internet seems to encourage them.
Let's just hope that the opposite force of kindness is more than enough to cancel them out.

seacliff Wed 10-Aug-16 18:43:02

OMG Phoenix, that is terrible!!!

How can anyone know who you work for, and who you are, and even more .... why would they do that?

granjura Wed 10-Aug-16 19:21:12

A moderator from a French Forum- actually used his powers as MOD to find out private info about us and begin to make enquiries about me in our 'ex' local UK town. We found out when we next visited the UK from friends there sad

harrigran Wed 10-Aug-16 19:25:48

felice, what an awful thing to happen some people can be vile flowers

Jalima Wed 10-Aug-16 19:39:22

felice
thrilled that the reverse psychology worked re the nappy situation!!
rp usually worked with DD and with DGD2 (her niece), both contrary Marys but also both bright enough to work out what is to their best advantage and act accordingly!! grin

GillT57 Wed 10-Aug-16 19:57:09

This has unsettled me, I always assumed that we were all decent people on here, no bullies, no trolls. Although we may disagree with what others think, I would have thought we could keep polite and non threatening. How sad

Jalima Wed 10-Aug-16 20:04:05

I suppose anyone can join, even if it is only for a short time to cause havoc.

whitewave Wed 10-Aug-16 20:11:00

There have been a few of those- causing havoc I mean. I just wish that we were all savvy enough to totally ignore them - they would soon disappear. We need some sort of code to understand that there is a havoc causer on thread!grin

absent Thu 11-Aug-16 03:03:36

whitewave Perhaps the first poster to recognise a post from those who must not be named but who should be ignored should simply post "…and let slip the dogs of war" (as in ^Henry V^).

Elegran Thu 11-Aug-16 10:37:16

Do you read minds, absent? I was thinking of exactly that quotation.

Juggernaut Thu 11-Aug-16 11:07:28

The name 'Gransnet' suggests older, more mature, reasonably behaved people, but apparently age is no guatantee of manners, courtesy or sense!
I suppose there are nasty, poisonous, vindictive folk of all ages, childish behaviour should be left behind in childhood!
From the north west and the name begins with a 'W', I'm trying, but I can't think who it might be!

Elegran Thu 11-Aug-16 11:12:56

Anyone at all can join, there is no check on age. The site is public, so it is accessible to anyone who cares to look at it and join in.

Elegran Thu 11-Aug-16 11:14:33

It doesn't seem to have been from somone who posts on the forum otherwise, so it sounds as though they joined purely to send that message.

obieone Thu 11-Aug-16 11:19:16

How do you think that Elegran?

Ana Thu 11-Aug-16 11:26:57

If felice knows this W is from the NW, that would suggest a profile, unless it was mentioned in the PM, which seems unlikely.

Ana Thu 11-Aug-16 11:27:34

In other words, not a one-off poster.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 11-Aug-16 11:41:14

Perhaps it was a NW England sounding forum name.

Any guesses? Something like "wayhaymissis"?