Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thank you

(63 Posts)
numberplease Sun 28-Aug-16 19:10:48

Yesterday was daughter number 2 and hubby`s wedding anniversary. They only live a 5 minute drive away, so on Friday I took a taxi round there to post the card through their door, asking the driver to wait and bring me back. When I got there, SIL was home on a day off, I said I couldn`t stop because the taxi was waiting. Since then, not a word. Am I unreasonable to have expected a thank you phone call? Or am I being petty?

chrissyh Mon 29-Aug-16 10:36:54

I never ring to say thank you for cards and nor does anybody ring me - family or friends. If anybody texts to wish me happy birthday and has sent me a card I would reply and thank them for their wishes and card.

Mrskipling Mon 29-Aug-16 10:34:53

I would not expect a thank you for a card. I wonder if you deliberately mentioned the taxi to the SIL to make the point that you had gone to great lengths to get it there on time? So getting some form of gratitude was very important to you. It sounds to me as though there are deeper issues at play here and it's nothing to do with the card at all. Just my 2+2=5 though!

I'd suggest you put it out of your mind before it causes more trouble than it's worth.
wink

KatyK Mon 29-Aug-16 10:31:00

If you give someone something, they should say thank you.

path20 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:26:45

I don't expect a Thank You for just a card, I do if I put vouchers or money in.

Crafting Mon 29-Aug-16 10:21:12

Apart from the first wedding anniversary and things like golden wedding I never send wedding anniversary cards to anyone. My DH and I exchange cards but it is our anniversary so that is ok. I have always told my children not to expect wedding anniversary cards from us and not to bother sending one to us on our anniversary. My DC and their families know we love them more than anything so are not concerned. We send birthday and Christmas cards though.

Lewlew Mon 29-Aug-16 10:15:52

OK, maybe SIL and DD were having an argument and it was not a nice day for them? Maybe he didn't show her the card? Was there a money gift in it?

We had two of my husband's nieces (who we have had little contact over the years) get married in the last few years. They are sisters and we went to the first one's wedding and left an envelope with money (£50) in it as they said they didn't need stuff, they were going to Australia, but honeymoon contributions would be appreciated but not necessary. Not a thank you note or even an email. When the next sister got married, we didn't go, but sent the same money. Not a sausage.

Husband's other two nieces from a different brother both got married and we went to one's wedding, but not the other. Got lovely thank yous with a photo of the couples on their day.

It's down to upbringing I think, so if you are being ignored, there may be more to it if she's usually responsive?

Ellie590 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:12:35

I send my daughter and the grandchildren cards every Birthday containing money gifts and I never even get a phone call acknowledgement let alone a thank you. One of these days will ignore a Birthday, I bet that gets a response!

Anniebach Mon 29-Aug-16 09:51:57

I send cards to family and friends and on the day I telephone , did you not telephone on the day?

ajanela Mon 29-Aug-16 09:45:26

Maybe SIL didn't mention you delivered it by taxi.

Why not telephone your daughter and ask if they had a nice day and tell her your story about why you delivered by taxi.

Otherwise I would not expect a thank you for a card but might send an e mail thanks. I send e mail cards from one of the companies that remind me.

VIOLETTE Mon 29-Aug-16 09:41:34

I would never expect a thank you for a card, although having said that, most of my friends do say thankyou via e mail ...as do I ....just lately, I have had La Poste return cards undelivered ...I e mailed my friends to ask if they were at home at the time and one had been on hols and one young couple had moved ...they did tell me they were moving but at the time didn't have a date ! The card was posted with a parcel containing birthday gift of perfume and a silk scarf (the recipient is only 24) ....I e mailed her and she was terribly embarassed she had not let me have her new address (in Germany) ...so I re sent the parcel (French equivalent of registered post) so it cost me 24 euros ..but she loved it and thanked me for it, as she always does ! My daughter, on the other hand never thanked me for anything ...money, her car, university fees, money towards a house, clothes, paying her rent at uni .....but I just looked on it as well, she is my daughter and I am happy to give it whilst I could (can't now !) ....when she was little, a game we had was to write all the thankyou letters before Christmas, addressed to everyone we knew who gave her a prezzi ....she thought this was quite funny and happy to do it ! ....of course, she had to say 'thank you for the present\ as she didn't know what it would be ! I did this for my wedding presents as well ! .....might be useful to make a template of a thankyou letter which can be printed off when required for amusement,,,you can add personal touches from online internet things like pictures of flowers, cats, etc etc ! ..if you don't need to send a handwritten note !

grannygranby Mon 29-Aug-16 09:34:29

I always think of that school prayer 'to give and not to count the cost' to give to get attention which is often behind the gift is not wise. We all know this. We feel neglected therefore we send a gift which, if we're still ignored, can make us feel very hard done by.
We just have to face the fact that we are not top of the agenda. (Unless we are - then well done) I adored my mum. She was always sending me gifts - not always thanked. Sometimes I groaned as I saw it as another claim on my time and emotions. But I didn't forget. Times change we all get our bit in the limelight and sometimes we have to stand well back to let others shine.
There is more than one way to be generous but I know, thanked or not, little gifts and cards are always welcome. She was always complaining how she wasn't thanked by other relatives and it used to make me cross.
I remember once getting a box of maltesers in the post from my mum for no reason. I was hundreds of miles away and living from hand to mouth - my choice. I loved her so much for that. I don't know if I thanked her.
It has never occurred to me to thank someone or be thanked for a card that arrived in the post. What you do is remember them on their special days. I also have a very unresponsive DIL and I send lots of little gifts which are ignored. I agree it's very hard.

majorcagirl Mon 29-Aug-16 09:28:41

we have decided that, if we don't get some sort of thank you for christmas presents ( usually money these days) we will stop present giving and we will tell them why.In these days of modern technology even an email would be better than nothing at all.I will say that grandaughter is 22yrs. and grandson 18yrs.so emails come easy to them!
PS both had a generous amount of money for their birthdays to help with driving lessons , but not a thank you from either of them.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 29-Aug-16 09:19:50

The method of making sure family get your card is really no one else's business and your choice.

Don't dwell too much on why you haven't received a thank you
but next time you speak to your family casually and making light of it say 'glad you got my card nothing like personal delivery is there.'

People these days do not seem to have the same values as in the past.

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 09:04:08

No, wouldn't expect a thank you for a card.

janeayressister Mon 29-Aug-16 08:51:20

i don't think you can expect anything. Then you are not disappointed. I have given large amounts of money to my lot and not got thanked profusely. I know they are all grateful though.

My husband wisely says, whatever you give, once it has left your hands, that is it. It was our choice to give it and we had a choice.

Never mention presents or money that you have given ever again. My Father gave us some money and then banged on about it at every opportunity for years. I offered it back to him in in the end.
It was choice to get a taxi and go to those lengths, you had a choice.....sorry, as you sound like a kind generous person.

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 08:48:37

It annoys me when I don`t get any acknowledgement for the thoughtful presents I buy for certain family members . It almost wants me to not bother in the future but of course I do .
I resist the urge to ask if they got my present lol.

suzied Mon 29-Aug-16 08:48:25

I wouldn't expect a special thank you for sending a card. Mind you, I wouldn't send a card for a wedding anniversary ( after the 1st one or a special one) I also wouldn't take it round by taxi. But, that was your choice, and I think maybe YABU to expect an immediate thank you .

jenpax Mon 29-Aug-16 08:46:21

I must say that I have never expected a thank you for a card and only thank others when I see them or if we happen to speak on the phone. It must be a generation thing as my ex husbands aunt (late 80's) set great store by cards, I am not much of a card giver myself and never have been, although I still like a post card even though I do most of my stuff online now!

mags1234 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:46:15

My pet hate, especially in the days of free texts is no thanks you or even acknowledgement of a gifts arrival. Tho words, thank you, would do! I've stopped sending gifts abroad cos they never ever even said they d come!

Antonia Mon 29-Aug-16 08:35:47

I wouldn't be upset about not being thanked for a card, but it does greatly irritate me when I don't get thanks for a gift. In recent years I have made this pretty clear; perhaps too clear, so I generally get a thank you now for presents to the grandchildren. To me it's only good manners to say thank you, and I was so pleased to see on my DGS's birthday that my SIL was noting which presents had come from which family so that my DGS could write his thank you notes.

Pamaga Mon 29-Aug-16 08:14:07

It seems extravagant to take a taxi to post a card so am assuming there was money/voucher inside? I wouldn't particularly expect a thank you for a card except at the time I handed it over personally but I would expect one for a gift. Some people take forever to get round to sending a thank you note which makes you think you're pretty low on their list of priorities!

PRINTMISS Mon 29-Aug-16 08:09:57

It is the thought that counts, not the response. I like to remember special occasions when I can, but never expect someone to thank me for a card!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 28-Aug-16 22:02:57

She never seems to mind, but I feel so guilty every year when I visit and there amongst their other cards is a very loving sounding one from her in laws! blush

Tegan Sun 28-Aug-16 22:01:03

You and me both jingle....[hangs head in shame]...

Penstemmon Sun 28-Aug-16 21:54:15

Oh it is my DD1 anniversary today..just remembered! Bank Holiday weekend..however as they are away on holiday I will not bother with a card!! I will pop over to FB and send some daft message x
Re a thank you..no I do not expect a swift tank you ..maybe when I saw someone next I would say thanks for the card but I would not call specially.