Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thank you

(63 Posts)
numberplease Sun 28-Aug-16 19:10:48

Yesterday was daughter number 2 and hubby`s wedding anniversary. They only live a 5 minute drive away, so on Friday I took a taxi round there to post the card through their door, asking the driver to wait and bring me back. When I got there, SIL was home on a day off, I said I couldn`t stop because the taxi was waiting. Since then, not a word. Am I unreasonable to have expected a thank you phone call? Or am I being petty?

Diddy1 Mon 29-Aug-16 13:49:37

At the beginning of the Summer I sent a card to the lady who is in charge of our little "chat group" as I think she does a lovely job, works hard to organise things etc. This morning we all met again after the summer break, and she thanked me so much, she was so thrilled with the card, she showed it to her friends, and her Daughter,to show them she is appreciated.
I love receiving cards.I dont expect a thank you,but my Daughter ALWAYS thanks me, but nobody else does, not these days! "Times they are a changing"

icanhandthemback Mon 29-Aug-16 14:55:13

It is nice to receive thanks but I don't give for outward displays of gratitude, I give because I want to. If you don't expect thanks, you won't be disappointed if you don't get any and if you do, it's a bonus. If I have to ask if they received in order to get thanks, it loses something in its lack of spontaneity.

spanishsue Mon 29-Aug-16 15:22:07

I expect thanks for sending birthday cards, which are the only ones I do send, and only to a selected few! On that note, my husband and I never give each other cards for our respective birthdays or our wedding anniversary. My SIL thinks this is awful.........each to their own!!!!! grin

grannylyn65 Mon 29-Aug-16 15:22:33

I love buying cards and always have a good selection to hand!!

numberplease Mon 29-Aug-16 15:59:12

My daughter rang this morning to ask why I brought the card round by taxi, when I explained why, she said I should have rung her and she`d have collected it herself, but I don`t think it`s right to expect people to collect their cards themselves, unless they happen to pay a visit at the appropriate time. Anyway, the matter is over now, maybe I was being over-sensitive.

Battersea1971 Mon 29-Aug-16 16:52:26

I would not expect a thank you for a card. It sounds if you were a bit OTT with the taxi.
I sent

my son a d DIL a card recently and when I spoke to him on the phone he didn't mention it, so I said did you get the card. And he just said oh yes, thanks.
I don't think the younger generation set much store but these things.

numberplease Mon 29-Aug-16 17:13:23

Battersea, I just wanted to make sure they got the card in time, I can`t really afford taxis willy-nilly, this was an exceptional occasion as I`d missed the post.

BillieW Mon 29-Aug-16 17:50:44

I did explain to our children that cards are valued by older generations, and so the two DD are very good with thank yous for their presents and our very young grandchildren! But the DS is another matter...... Either a very extravagant gift or nothing ---cards are a rarity. I still send them and the two GD's cards n presents, but they genuinely don't get offended if they do not get anything for themselves or their girls, it's like they see they have everything they need and buy what they need/want whenever. His sisters buy his girls presents and try to see them on the day, but are getting frustrated by DS and DiL missing their nieces n nephews cards and or presents. So not sure how that will be resolved, I always believe you don't give to receive, nor do you stop buying for the children because the parents just don't seem to realise the importance of celebrating birthdays! They are so much better off than the sisters so it's not a cost issue!
But I believe it will become the norm not to send cards or buy presents, just a email or FB will be the acceptable acknowledgement.

moobox Mon 29-Aug-16 21:22:31

The older relatives look forward to my Christmas cards because I put photos in with a few words. They phone my mother up and tell her all about it.

KateG Tue 30-Aug-16 08:31:41

Once you arrived at your daughters house and realised that she had the day off work,did she perhaps hope that you would send the taxi off and spend an hour with her on her birthday ? If that was the case, perhaps she is feeling hurt and thinking that you could have booked another taxi for later.

numberplease Tue 30-Aug-16 16:19:12

KateG, my daughter wasn`t there, she was at work, just her husband had the day off. It wasn`t her birthday, it was their wedding anniversary.

Synonymous Tue 30-Aug-16 21:58:02

Well, all's well that ends well! smile

Hope they had a lovely day.